Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger, Sea/Tac or Twin Cities?
Seattle/Tacoma 70 74.47%
Twin Cities 24 25.53%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:09 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,996,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlamatir View Post
They are both very strong in this category, but Seattle brought us Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana, which is at least on par in terms of historical and musical significance with Bob Dylan and Prince (all four are major heavyweights). Then when you add bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, the Sonics, Heart, Mudhoney, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, Modest Mouse, the Melvins, Death Cab for Cutie, the Posies, Presidents of the United States, Screaming Trees, Queensryche, Sir-Mix-a-Lot, Macklemore, Sunny Day Real Estate, Temple of the Dog, Young Fresh Fellows, Bikini Kill, etc. - as well as being at or near the epicenter of musical movements like Grunge and Riot Grrrls - I think you have to give it to Seattle.
Jimi Hendrix became popular once he left the US, Nirvana isn't from Seattle (nor are the Melvins), and Maclemore blows. The rest of those bands you mentioned don't really have Seattle surpassing Minneapolis. As someone who grew up on the West coast, I heard about Minneapolis musicians / bands well before Seattle was even on the music map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:09 PM

251 posts, read 284,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
The point is that Seattle does not blow away Minneapolis, which is what many of you are trying to claim. Heck, my vote went to Seattle.

These numbers are notoriously bad. Furthermore, they are pretty dated. However, I haven't nor would I state downtown Minneapolis has more employees.
Fair enough. And I posted the Downtown employment statistics in response to someone else (whom I quoted in the post) who claimed the Downtowns were essentially equivalent

Old 08-05-2015, 01:24 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,872,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
Fair enough. And I posted the Downtown employment statistics in response to someone else (whom I quoted in the post) who claimed the Downtowns were essentially equivalent
This article estimates the downtown employment for Minneapolis at 160,000, though I haven't found the original statistics from the Downtown Council.

Downtown Mpls employment is up - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

Edit: So does this article: http://www.startribune.com/st-anthon...012/190490371/

Old 08-05-2015, 01:26 PM

125 posts, read 141,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Where are they pulling transit riders from? Both MSP light rail lines have already exceeded 2030 ridership goals.
Both cities technically have light rail but they are very different. Seattle's system is more like a mini-metro with many portions underground or elevated, and even the at-grade sections don't deal with mixed traffic and have reliable signal priority.

Minneapolis' system is entirely at-grade, has had issues with signal priority, and is not the same caliber of system. Seattle's is taking a long time to build but by 2021 Seattle will have a legitimate subway running through the city and in general a much more robust, big-city style rail system (with more expansions to come following that). Nevermind that Seattle already has much higher overall transit ridership.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM

214 posts, read 301,388 times
Quote:
Both cities technically have light rail but they are very different. Seattle's system is more like a mini-metro with many portions underground or elevated, and even the at-grade sections don't deal with mixed traffic and have reliable signal priority.

Minneapolis' system is entirely at-grade, has had issues with signal priority, and is not the same caliber of system. Seattle's is taking a long time to build but by 2021 Seattle will have a legitimate subway running through the city and in general a much more robust, big-city style rail system (with more expansions to come following that). Nevermind that Seattle already has much higher overall transit ridership.

Wrong. You obviously haven't ridden Metro Transit. There are a series of segments that are above and below grade. Tunnelling was done on the segment before and after arrival at Terminal 1 for the airport.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:33 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,522,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The CSA's are not far apart, but Seattle/Tacoma is bigger. However, after re-visiting MSP this past week, I felt that this area feels bigger. (And I'm a Seattle native). While MSP doesn't have a "Bellevue" suburb, it does have Bloomington, which while does not have the same type of skyline or density, still is impressive in its own way. The other thing I noticed is the mid to high rise development is spread out throughout the metro, where in Sea/Tac, it is just in a few areas.

Minneapolis/St. Paul is perhaps more isolated than Seattle/Tacoma is in terms of big cities nearby. Yes, Chicago is a day away by car, but in Seattle you are less than three hours away from Vancouver, BC and Portland, OR. However, MSP is an aviation hub and makes SEA look kind of smallish by comparison.

Also important to note that St. Paul is much closer to Minneapolis than Tacoma is to Seattle.
Chicago is a day away by car? Huh? It's only 6 and a half hours away and Indianapolis only a few hours more. Kansas City, Omaha, St. Louis and Detroit ain't too far neither. Both cities are close enough to other big cities.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:36 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,549,626 times
So funny watching the two biggest Seattle wonks on the thread sweat for their stats & figures, yet neither lives in Seattle nor have they ever been to Minneapolis. Missed in all this is the fact that the whole thread is supposed to be about feel, not statistics (see: Title, OP).

For people familiar with both, Seattle, with its more centralized population, will likely feel a bit bigger. Anyone saying they're completely different worlds or Seattle BY FAR or anything like that simply has not been to both cities and should step aside, because they are just embarassing themselves.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:45 PM

571 posts, read 1,178,541 times
This kind of rehashes a comparison thread I'd started years ago, but I think it still holds true that these are probably two of the most evenly matched cities/metros in the country. Both a bit above the Portland/Denver class of city but below the top 10 metros in the country.

I have not been to the Twin Cities except to transfer at the airport (fantastic facility I might add!) but it is a place I'd really like to visit. I don't think either one really blows the other out of the water but both should be proud as I believe they really punch above their weight in almost all regards (economy, safety, urbanity, natural environment).

I think if Tacoma was about 20 miles closer to Seattle it would lend more of a Twin Cities feel to Puget Sound. In fact I wish it was closer - really cool city for anyone that hasn't been there. Anyway, I digress.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:47 PM

591 posts, read 824,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
So funny watching the two biggest Seattle wonks on the thread sweat for their stats & figures, yet neither lives in Seattle nor have they ever been to Minneapolis. Missed in all this is the fact that the whole thread is supposed to be about feel, not statistics (see: Title, OP).

For people familiar with both, Seattle, with its more centralized population, will likely feel a bit bigger. Anyone saying they're completely different worlds or Seattle BY FAR or anything like that simply has not been to both cities and should step aside, because they are just embarassing themselves.
This is a general question, not specifically to this poll.

If Seattle and Minneapolis are so similar, why does Minneapolis consistently get blown out in polls when compared to Seattle?

Why doesn't Minneapolis have similar popularity or national/international exposure?
And it cannot just be because Seattle is on a coast.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:49 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,522,841 times
Quote:
You would hate the weather this summer! It's been mostly in the high 80s and 90s with no AC in most places and the sun doesn't set until 10pm, which is brutal (we had the hottest June and July in Seattle history, although it looks like we're finally getting a break the next couple of weeks). I miss the pleasant 65-70 degree summer days in San Francisco proper (although, of course, the rest of the Bay Area gets substantially warmer). As for the people - kind of hard to generalize like that. Seattle has its share of cool people and jerks, just like anywhere else.

But yes, thank you for noting how absurd it is to somehow claim everywhere from Everett to Tacoma (nearly 70 miles apart) is considered the "core".
Y'all consider that a bad summer? I would love a summer like that, besides the lack of AC. And I'm an autumn/winter guy, but a summer like that still sounds great lol 70s is early fall weather, not summer. Blagh! Tomorrow's high is 104. I definitely wouldn't wish that on you folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City