Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger, Sea/Tac or Twin Cities?
Seattle/Tacoma 70 74.47%
Twin Cities 24 25.53%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM

591 posts, read 821,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
By "a long way?" Why, specifically? They have a very similar feel to everyone but you. Have you ever been to the Twin Cities?
Yeah they really don't have a similar feel at all. Minneapolis reminds me much more of Denver.
And Portland feels more big city than both of them to me.
And Seattle in a league of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:04 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,988,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Yeah they really don't have a similar feel at all. Minneapolis reminds me much more of Denver.
Portland's land area is larger than Minneapolis and St. Paul combined. Perhaps that is the reason why it, in your words, feels more big.

BTW, both Denver and Minneapolis are better than Portland, which is by far one of the most overrated US cities.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:06 AM

214 posts, read 300,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Yeah, the majority of that 75% have never been to Minneapolis.

BTW, downtown Seattle does not have way more people on the streets. Yes, there are the tourist areas, but aside from those spots and places where the homeless hang out, downtown Seattle is surprisingly dead after 6pm.
Where are they pulling transit riders from? Both MSP light rail lines have already exceeded 2030 ridership goals.

Also, Seattle has about 10% more tall buildings which doesn't really strike me as "way more" either....

Where are these way more tourist claims coming from? The Mall of America parking ramps are full of out of state plates this time of year. I did not find Seattle or Minneapolis in the top tourist attractions on any Google searches.

Minneapolis has way more affordable housing and still has a high paying economy that is more diversified than Seattle.

Minneapolis is more literate (slightly) than Seattle.

Everything I have seen shows Minneapolis has better theater, comedy, and arts than Seattle.

Some of the arguments are as good as me asking about that giant earthquake that is overdue and going to obliterate Seattle.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:06 AM

135 posts, read 175,503 times
Definitely Seattle-Tacoma.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Coming from someone who spent part his youth growing up in Denver I can say they are hardly alike. Minneapolis would be more comparable to Chicago than Denver.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Coming from someone who spent part his youth growing up in Denver I can say they are hardly alike. Minneapolis would be more comparable to Chicago than Denver.
Huh? This poll is about how big a city feels... Don't think Minneapolis and Chicago can be used in the same sentence there...

Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Where are these way more tourist claims coming from? The Mall of America parking ramps are full of out of state plates this time of year. I did not find Seattle or Minneapolis in the top tourist attractions on any Google searches.
Took me about two minutes to find these on google. I could keep going but I'd rather not.

Top 10 Tourist Destination Cities in the US - EscapeHere

20 Most Popular U.S. Cities Among International Travelers in 2013 – Skift

The 25 Most Popular Cities to Visit in America

http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/best_usa_vacations/

Old 08-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Huh? This poll is about how big a city feels... Don't think Minneapolis and Chicago can be used in the same sentence there...
Layouts and influence.

Aren't you the one who went off topic comparing Denver to Minneapolis anyway?

Minneapolis MSA does cover more square miles than Seattle. Further Minneapolis-St Paul combine for both higher population and square mileage. That would "feel" bigger to me.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,646,300 times
Quote:
Where are they pulling transit riders from? Both MSP light rail lines have already exceeded 2030 ridership goals.

Also, Seattle has about 10% more tall buildings which doesn't really strike me as "way more" either....

Minneapolis has way more affordable housing and still has a high paying economy that is more diversified than Seattle.

Minneapolis is more literate (slightly) than Seattle.

Everything I have seen shows Minneapolis has better theater, comedy, and arts than Seattle.

Some of the arguments are as good as me asking about that giant earthquake that is overdue and going to obliterate Seattle.

MSP transit ridership has exceeded its own goals. So you're comparing MSP transit to MSP transit (pointless). You can pull ridership numbers for almost every transit agency and mode at the link below:

http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

As you will see, Seattle has multiples more transit riders than greater Minneapolis, and if you really dig in and add all the Puget Sound agencies (ferries included - some 50K+ people commute around Seattle/Puget Sound via ferry) to all the MSP agencies, it's not even close.

Likewise, Seattle is in the midst of quite an ambitious rail transit expansion. So while MSP is doing the same and has a couple LRT lines and has exceeded its own goals, it is more in line with a Denver in terms of ridership, perhaps even less than Denver (Denver actually has one of the most ambitious rail plans underway in the country).

Regarding what you consider a tall building or not, Seattle could have *way* more or not way more. I travel a lot and Seattle strikes me as a relatively tall city. It has buildings considerably taller than Minneapolis.

Minneapolis has

792 ft

And around 19 buildings < 400 ft with [none] under construction that are that tall, as of now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_Minneapolis

Seattle has

And around 27 buildings > 400 ft with a 630 footer under construction, as well as a 530 footer, the two Amazon Buildings at 521/523 ft (one nearly finished) and a string of around 10 buildings in the 400-500 ft range under construction.

This is a noticeable difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_in_Seattle

Regarding all of your other rants, I have also heard Minneapolis is one of the top cities for theater and the arts, and I know it's highly literate and has a diversified economy, probably more diversified than Seattle/Puget Sound's, and maybe more literate, not likely more college educated but probably close. Regardless, highly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM

Perhaps I should have specified I was looking at places with THE MOST tourists not simply vacation suggestions.

10 Best Summer Trips of 2011 -- National Geographic

Study: Twin Cities Visitors And Tourism Spending Up In 2013
Twin Cities’ 29.4 million visitors came in behind Chicago’s 2013 tally of 48.4 million. Dallas, meanwhile, had about 44 million visitors—giving it a slight edge over the Twin Cities as well. However, the Twin Cities had more visitors than Indianapolis (26 million), Kansas City (22.3 million), St. Louis (21.6 million), Denver (13.6 million), New Orleans (9.3 million), and Milwaukee (7 million), according to Meet Minneapolis.

Oh snap. Look what I found...

http://www.sensiebels.com/SeattleTou...urism-per-year

A Total of 10.2 million visitors came through King County Last year, and 20 percent of them were international tourists, According to Visit Seattle's 2013 annual report . One-quarter of the Foreign visitors came from China, just behind Japan, but Ahead of the UK , Korea, Germany, France and Australia.

Based on that alone you are blown out the water. I didn't expect to see 3x the tourists coming to MSP.

Last edited by polo_golf_guy; 08-05-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City