Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger, Sea/Tac or Twin Cities?
Seattle/Tacoma 70 74.47%
Twin Cities 24 25.53%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 PM

251 posts, read 284,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Keep assuming then since you are apparently to lazy to go back to my linked sources....

Further your transit numbers are off since I show way more rides than you found...again with linked sources
At the end of the days both feel about the same to me and the data supports that finding. Seattle is not San Francisco nor is Minneapolis Chicago.

Others were including Bellevue and Tacoma so calling the MOA suburban when the census even classifies at as part of our urban area is beyond me.

I agree with using facts which is why I have been consistently using them in my posts.
All I'm saying is I have an official source which contradicts your source. So whatever your source is, the outcome is indeterminate. Just as my source isn't necessarily right, yours isn't either.

On the transit one, our sources say the same thing. I quoted the official American Public Transportation Association which gets its data directly from transit agencies. It is the source for this data. I saw your link to Metro Ridership, which is annual rather than daily. If you divide to get daily, however, it gets the same result (270,000 ish) as my source (the APTA) says.

I'm not others though. I'm not talking about census-defined "urban areas" which include the entire built-up area. The suburbs of every city are within that city's census-defined "urban area." To call the Mall of America and it's sea of parking lots urban proves that there's no point reasoning with you.

I agree they aren't that far apart but the data overwhelmingly suggests Seattle is ahead

Last edited by JMBX; 08-05-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
No there is no real comparison. Seattle has offered Heart, Nirvana, Queensyche, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and many others. Seattle ruled the 90's, there is no question. However, there seems to be a loss of anything important here in the 2010's.
Queensryche? Lol at Queensryche...

Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,107,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlamatir View Post
Prince's primary residence was in California at that time.

My point is Jimi is just as much from Seattle as Prince is from Minneapolis. Jimi was born and raised in Seattle, started his musical career there, lived there intermittently after he got famous, and is buried in the Seattle area. YIMBY was trying to say Seattle can't claim Jimi Hendrix, which is just as absurd as saying Minneapolis can't claim Prince.
Um....are you kidding?

Purple Rain was *recorded* and *filmed* in Minneapolis.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,956,122 times
Oh good gawd, this is a meaningless music discussion. Both cities produced some stars, there is no denying that. However, the 90's did belong to Seattle. There really is no debate about that, which was my original point. Yes, Heart was earlier, but the "Seattle Sound", was real and has not been equaled since.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,482,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Haha. Can you be anymore delusional? Minneapolis produced Prince and Bob Dylan started his musical career there. Those two artists combined have done more for music than the likes of Heart, Alice and Chains, Soundgarden, Queensrÿche, etc... Minneapolis also ruled the 80s with the Minneapolis Sound; the synthesized funk of Prince and the post-punk rock of the Replacements and Hüsker Dü. Bands associated with Prince included local groups such as the Revolution, the Time, the Jets, the Family, Lipps Inc., Mazarati, and a number of other groups (local and national). Other musicians / bands from Minneapolis (and St. Paul) include Information Society, Next, Soul Asylum, Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Babes in Toyland, Mason Jennings, Semisonic, Dilinger Four, the Cows, and many others.

Since 1960 more than 100 songs that have either been recorded in Minneapolis or made by artists based there have reached the Top 40 on Billboard’s pop chart. To think there is no comparison shows how much (or little) you know about music.
It's really difficult to unravel everything that has been posted in this thread in 24 hrs. But I will start with this post.

YIMBY, please help me to understand how come you didn't stick with "I" statements and write about what you know vs. making an assumption about someone else? How do you benefit from that? I'm truly confused.

The person you reference might own a music store, or teach music or know certain segments very well. Since I don't know, I would ask vs. assume.

I want to tell you last night I looked for additional bands or performers from MSP and I found very little. I'll be the first to admit I didn't search three hours, but maybe someone could update Wiki.

If anyone listed musicians who play music with which I'm not familiar, that doesn't mean I don't like music and have a wide knowledge of certain types of music. Ask me something about Rap or C and W and I'll say I've never heard those artists. Ask me details about music I know and it's a different story.

My post isn't strictly about music as I think it served simply as the subject. Stats about cities are always helpful until two sources don't agree about the same city.

I'm discouraged one poster wouldn't comment in a more positive manner, especially if you know next to nothing about another poster. I feel parts of your post border on an attack and it's not necessary.

I honestly don't understand how come you decided to respond as you did, please tell me. Looking at the posts, there is so much doubt, new cities being discussed, did people actually visit and far more posts trying to prove what others do or don't know, after this one. If I gave you the approximate dates of when I visited MSP how can that be proven here? Posters either believe others or they don't. Very few will have visited or lived in comparison cities for the exact same amount of time.

I look forward to some answers so I can better understand. Thanks.

MSR

Old 08-05-2015, 10:35 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,482,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
All I'm saying is I have an official source which contradicts your source. So whatever your source is, the outcome is indeterminate. Just as my source isn't necessarily right, yours isn't either.

On the transit one, our sources say the same thing. I quoted the official American Public Transportation Association which gets its data directly from transit agencies. It is the source for this data. I saw your link to Metro Ridership, which is annual rather than daily. If you divide to get daily, however, it gets the same result (270,000 ish) as my source (the APTA) says.

I'm not others though. I'm not talking about census-defined "urban areas" which include the entire built-up area. The suburbs of every city are within that city's census-defined "urban area." To call the Mall of America and it's sea of parking lots urban proves that there's no point reasoning with you.

I agree they aren't that far apart but the data overwhelmingly suggests Seattle is ahead
JMBX,

I like your style of quoting facts, along with your source and then stating your opinion, given the facts. I happen to agree with you that Seattle is ahead in many categories. MSP has certainly contributed knowledge, technology , food and music too.

MSR

Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 PM

MSR, thanks. I will leave it there.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-05-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 PM

125 posts, read 141,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Um....are you kidding?

Purple Rain was *recorded* and *filmed* in Minneapolis.
You're completely missing the point. YIMBY argued that Seattle couldn't claim Jimi Hendrix because he didn't live in Seattle at the time he blew up. Jimi Hendrix was born and raised in Seattle, he learned guitar by watching bands play shows while attending high school in Seattle, he started his musical career and played his first shows in Seattle, in 1968 Seattle gave him the keys to the city, the name of his anthology is "West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology", he is buried in Seattle, and his family still lives in Seattle. Seattle has a museum (or at least a large portion of the EMP museum), a statue, and a park (currently under construction) near where he lived most of his life dedicated to Jimi.

So clearly it's absurd to say Seattle can't claim Jimi Hendrix. I was just trying to apply the same ridiculous logic to Prince, since he moved to California before he got famous, to make a point. I obviously think Minneapolis can claim Prince just as Seattle can claim Jimi.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:14 PM

Yes

Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,995,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It's really difficult to unravel everything that has been posted in this thread in 24 hrs. But I will start with this post.

YIMBY, please help me to understand how come you didn't stick with "I" statements and write about what you know vs. making an assumption about someone else? How do you benefit from that? I'm truly confused.
Yeah, you're right. I should have stated, "I think you should do more research on music scenes and the music industry as a whole."

Quote:
The person you reference might own a music store, or teach music or know certain segments very well. Since I don't know, I would ask vs. assume.
Doubtful.

When some makes such an absurd comment without backing it, it's pretty safe to assume that s/he doesn't know what they are talking about.

Quote:
I want to tell you last night I looked for additional bands or performers from MSP and I found very little. I'll be the first to admit I didn't search three hours, but maybe someone could update Wiki.
What exactly were you looking for? Prince, Bob Dylan, The Replacements, Husker Du, Information Society, Soul Asylum, Semisonic, Next, Babes in Toyland, The Jets, Polica, Tiny Tim, Brian Setzer, Doomtree, Jonny Lang, Dillinger Four, the Time, Motion City Soundtrack, Atmosphere, Howler, Cloud Cult, American Head Charge, Tapes N Tapes, Golden Smog, the Castaways, Lipps Inc., the Jayhawks, the Trashmen, and thousands of other bands have come out of or relocated to the Minneapolis area.

It's not like there are thousands, hundreds or even dozens of chart-producing or popular bands from Seattle outside those that have already been listed - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Heart, Alice in Chains, Queensrÿche, Foo Fighters, Sir Mix-A-Lot and Macklemore.

Quote:
I'm discouraged one poster wouldn't comment in a more positive manner, especially if you know next to nothing about another poster. I feel parts of your post border on an attack and it's not necessary.
Stating there is no comparison in terms of musical influence is misinformed and adds nothing to the conversation.

Quote:
I honestly don't understand how come you decided to respond as you did, please tell me.
I honestly don't understand why you are so disappointed in my response to what pnwguy2 had stated. I didn't call you out; I called him out on his b.s. statement that there is no comparison between the Minneapolis and Seattle music scenes when in fact both areas have had major influences on music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlamatir View Post
So clearly it's absurd to say Seattle can't claim Jimi Hendrix. I was just trying to apply the same ridiculous logic to Prince, since he moved to California before he got famous, to make a point. I obviously think Minneapolis can claim Prince just as Seattle can claim Jimi.
Prince did not move to California before he became famous. The only time he was "living" in California was when he was recording. Prince was born and raised in Minneapolis; he was in and started a number of bands in Minneapolis, he opened a studio in the Minneapolis area (Paisley Park), he still lives in the Minneapolis area. He NEVER left Minneapolis before he was famous. Please post your source Exlamatir.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-06-2015 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City