Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,773,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The plants are green because the ground water level is high enough, smart one. If ground water levels were low, and the soil moisture was too low, then the plants would be stressed. And stressed plants would be the sole thing that would put the nail to the coffin in terms of South Florida being in drought.
Uh no, plants don't get their water from "ground water" which is far below the surface beyond reach of their roots smart one.

"Don't let the rain fool you: South Florida facing drought" (well it looks like it fools some people lol)
http://www.wpbf.com/news/dont-let-th...ought/34314718

"Along the east coast of South Florida we're getting about 50 percent of normal rainfall so far this wet season. So it has been raining but not quite what we are suppose to be getting," said Swartz."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,658,119 times
Quote:
The plants are green because the ground water level is high enough, smart one. If ground water levels were low, and the soil moisture was too low, then the plants would be stressed. And stressed plants would be the sole thing that would put the nail to the coffin in terms of South Florida being in drought.
Take into the geology of southeast Florida too which sits on a porous limestone called "oolite" which is like a sponge that stores most of the rainwater below the surface of the streets of Miami.
This is the reason Miami doesn't have underground parking garages since if you dig about 10 feet down you will hit the water table.
Miami is having a drought / rain deficit this year but it isn't "parched" like most of Cali.

United States Drought Monitor > Home

Regional Drought Monitor

Old 08-20-2015, 11:16 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,937,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Uh no, plants don't get their water from "ground water" which is far below the surface beyond reach of their roots smart one.

"Don't let the rain fool you: South Florida facing drought" (well it looks like it fools some people lol)
Don't let the rain fool you: South Florida facing drought | Local News - WPBF Home

"Along the east coast of South Florida we're getting about 50 percent of normal rainfall so far this wet season. So it has been raining but not quite what we are suppose to be getting," said Swartz."
I never disputed the deficit in rainfall South Florida has been experienced. In that sense, yes, South Florida is in extreme drought, but given the presence of rains (even if not enough to overcome the deficit), the environment and landscape right now in South Florida would show no signs of drought.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,789,755 times
Quote:
Yet, areas of South Florida have seen many days of heavy, and I mean heavy, torrential downpours, enough to make the ground water-logged.

The point is, the only indication that South Florida is in drought is simply the rainfall deficit; look at the environment around, and you wouldn't see any drought. Look at plants, and you would see that they are all green. If the soil moisture was really low for the region, then the plant stress would clearly be seen. So, unless someone from South Florida can show that plants in the region this year have had stress, the point still stands that the drought is only present on paper only.
Unwaterd grass is brown. At least in my neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,160,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
In Miami Beach the grass isn't really brown yet. And we have received less rain than Miami.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:05 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,186,031 times
Quote:
Yet, areas of South Florida have seen many days of heavy, and I mean heavy, torrential downpours, enough to make the ground water-logged.

The point is, the only indication that South Florida is in drought is simply the rainfall deficit; look at the environment around, and you wouldn't see any drought. Look at plants, and you would see that they are all green. If the soil moisture was really low for the region, then the plant stress would clearly be seen. So, unless someone from South Florida can show that plants in the region this year have had stress, the point still stands that the drought is only present on paper only.
Right on! That's what I was talking about. These Califronians have no clue what South FL or FL is in general because they've never been or lived here. As everything else on CD, they base what the say, on what they see online.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,816,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Welp, there you go.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,489,708 times
S.F. is my secret destination to get away from Houston summers. Miami is too similar to Galveston. Why would I pay for an expensive flight for something I can drive to the opposite side of the metro area for?

Coastal L.A. is a compromise between the natural A/C provided by the Pacific Ocean and the sunshine provided by the SoCal bight that keeps the fog away. Prefer L.A. if I wanted sun over overcast fog; S.F. for the consistent cool temps. If L.A. gets a heat wave, it is very hot compared to the pleasant weather in S.F.'s heat wave!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,658,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
S.F. is my secret destination to get away from Houston summers. Miami is too similar to Galveston. Why would I pay for an expensive flight for something I can drive to the opposite side of the metro area for?

Coastal L.A. is a compromise between the natural A/C provided by the Pacific Ocean and the sunshine provided by the SoCal bight that keeps the fog away. Prefer L.A. if I wanted sun over overcast fog; S.F. for the consistent cool temps. If L.A. gets a heat wave, it is very hot compared to the pleasant weather in S.F.'s heat wave!
Similar in what way? Who would want to swim in Galveston anytime of the year?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:43 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,937,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Similar in what way? Who would want to swim in Galveston anytime of the year?
He is obviously referring to the fact that both cities get hot, humid summers, conditions which he is wanting to escape. Can you not read?

P.S.: Loads of people swim in Galveston, and do so without any qualms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City