Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 AM

375 posts, read 332,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Dubai has 350 more sunshine hours than Miami, extremely evenly distributed too. does it mean it is even better?
Dubai is definitely sunnier than Miami. Not sure if you think you're making some intelligent point or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,306,068 times
Quote:
Miami doesn't even have good weather. This comparison is meaningless.
Of course it's not good weather...it's awesome weather.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
It's not abnormal, its completely normal for SF to have this much sunshine at this time of year. You just might expect 2 or 3 rainy days thrown in there too.

It's not facts you put down, averaging over 5 hours of sun a day even in the dullest month cannot be described as 'dreary' if it is fact.
Averages of over 10 rainy days and 4+ inch totals each winter month. Combine that with lower day-light length/sun angle from the higher latitude, and you have yourself quite the dreary winter climate. People go to Florida and the Gulf Coast to escape stuff like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco#Climate

Those are the facts. Your temporary drought pattern does not change that.

Last edited by Texyn; 12-10-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Of course it's not good weather...it's awesome weather.
really?

Average highs between May-Oct: 87, 90, 91, 91, 89 86.

That's even hotter than Shanghai, a city I am familiar with. And I know Shanghai during June-August is insufferable. Shanghai is humid, but so is Miami.

Awesome? Maybe between Oct and April.

I also know a friend who thinks Toronto's weather is awesome, because he loves four months of sub-zero temperature (true story). You guys are alike - both enjoy extreme weather.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times
I tend to have a lower core body temp than most, so 80-90 degree weather with lots of clouds and rain is very comfortable for me. I prefer chilly weather during the holiday season, but for ten months out of the year, Miami is great.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:51 PM

375 posts, read 332,826 times
Quote:
really?
That's even hotter than Shanghai, a city I am familiar with. And I know Shanghai during June-August is insufferable. Shanghai is humid, but so is Miami. .
This is the first time I have heard of someone using Shanghai as a benchmark for what is "hot", so you must not be familiar with Shanghai. Hint: it's a 4-season city, with a somewhat similar climate to Washington DC.

Highs in the upper 80s, lower 90s that Miami has 8 months of the year, is fairly common for all tropical cities (Singapore, Bangkok, Jakarta, Mumbai, the list will go on and on) for 12 months of the year.

I wouldn't call it extreme either, but obviously you're welcome to your opinion. I'm not sure why you're trying to argue someone else's opinion. Again, just state your opinion and move on - no one cares.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
really?

Average highs between May-Oct: 87, 90, 91, 91, 89 86.

That's even hotter than Shanghai, a city I am familiar with. And I know Shanghai during June-August is insufferable. Shanghai is humid, but so is Miami.

Awesome? Maybe between Oct and April.

I also know a friend who thinks Toronto's weather is awesome, because he loves four months of sub-zero temperature (true story). You guys are alike - both enjoy extreme weather.
The summer weather is exactly what makes areas like Shanghai and Miami so awesome. Hard not to look forward to the season when you get this type of excitement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O_OVy2Aeug

Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 AM

1,218 posts, read 687,317 times
Quote:
everything here is everyone's opinion.
No it isn’t, it is a fact that San Francisco has over 3,000 hours of sunshine per year

Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 AM

1,218 posts, read 687,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Averages of over 10 rainy days and 4+ inch totals each winter month. Combine that with lower day-light length/sun angle from the higher latitude, and you have yourself quite the dreary winter climate. People go to Florida and the Gulf Coast to escape stuff like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco#Climate

Those are the facts. Your temporary drought pattern does not change that.
It is laughable to think that anyone in San Francisco could experience S.A.D, especially when you compare with Western Europe. UK has dreary winters, don’t you say that SF does.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
It is laughable to think that anyone in San Francisco could experience S.A.D, especially when you compare with Western Europe. UK has dreary winters, don’t you say that SF does.
Still doesn't change the fact that SF winters have more of what is considered "dreary" compared to winters in FL and the coastal Southern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City