Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 AM

1,218 posts, read 687,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Still doesn't change the fact that SF winters have more of what is considered "dreary" compared to winters in FL and the coastal Southern US.
OK but that is like saying LA has more of what is considered ''dreary'' compared to summers in Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 12:42 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,690,695 times
Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact that SF winters have more of what is considered "dreary" compared to winters in FL and the coastal Southern US.
Houston is more "dreary" than SF in winter as it gets significantly less sunshine.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
OK but that is like saying LA has more of what is considered ''dreary'' compared to summers in Sacramento.
Yes, coastal LA can get rather foggy with the June Gloom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Houston is more "dreary" than SF in winter as it gets significantly less sunshine.
Actually, those sunshine stats for the city are quite questionable, there's been some discussion about it on the Weather Forum.

But nevertheless, the lower latitude ensures brighter winter skies/longer days than SF in winter. At least it isn't as rainy as SF during winter. Besides, I'm talking about the region as a whole, not just one city.

Last edited by Texyn; 12-11-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Actually, those stats for the city are quite questionable, there's been some discussion on the Weather Forum.

But nevertheless, the lower latitude ensures brighter winter skies/longer days than SF in winter. And Houston isn't the only city in the coastal South.
Well I'm sure are questioning it since it does show you what you want it too. But even if they are off a little SF still gets more sunshine.

Even with those longer days Houston gets less hours of sunshine....

SF gets more sunshine than Mobile and New Orleans in winter as well. It also doesn't get snow like Houston does....

Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Well I'm sure are questioning it since it does show you what you want it too. But even if they are off a little SF still gets more sunshine.

Even with those longer days Houston gets less hours of sunshine....

SF gets more sunshine than Mobile and New Orleans in winter as well. It also doesn't get snow like Houston does....
Overall, regarding those sunshine hours, there's much more to it than meets the eye. Don't be surprised if it means that totals for those Gulf Coast cities are actually way off.

The snowfall was more about upper-air dynamics coming off of Mexico's mountains than it was about out-right cold. Indeed, even with that event, temps in most areas of Houston/South Texas didn't even reach freezing (only mid/upper 30s at best).

Last edited by Texyn; 12-11-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Overall, regarding those sunshine hours, there's much more to it than meets the eye. Don't be surprised if it means that totals for those Gulf Coast cities are actually way off.

The snowfall was more about upper-air dynamics coming off of Mexico's mountains than it was about out-right cold. Indeed, even with that event, temps in most areas of Houston/South Texas didn't even reach freezing (only mid/upper 30s at best).
Sounds like some fake news/alternative facts to me.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Sounds like some fake news/alternative facts to me.
If you say so.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,477,705 times
San Fran isn't very cold, just cool.. but lets not kid ourselves.. Miami is HOT. Honolulu I'd say is warm in summer, Miami though is flat out HOT.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,477,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I'm from the north. If what you say is true, I would smell barbecues in January but I don't. Where are all these "season lovers" as soon it gets cold? Inside in the heat.
I know this is an old post but this is such a silly thing. Barbecues? Lol. So the litmus test for loving a type of weather is having a barbecue? One reason I wouldn't barbecue/grill in the cold is because number 1... the meat will get chilled WAY too fast and two.... barbecuing is a summer activity for the most part. There's different activities to do each season. Winter is a time for ice skating, making hot chocolate, sledding, Christmas caroling, skiing..

What's next: I don't see people playing volley ball in the winter or doing outdoor yoga!

Anyone notice the lack of sleds in summer? So much for heat lovers lol.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM

375 posts, read 333,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What's next: I don't see people playing volley ball in the winter or doing outdoor yoga!
In some other thread where Chicago was the main point of conversation - someone mentioned Chicago was a frigid wasteland and the other person countered by posting a video of people playing beach volleyball on the shores of lake Michigan in February (during a warm spell obviously).

Kind of offtopic but burst into my mind when you typed this. Also kind of on topic because it shows you what people do when it gets warm enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City