Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:56 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,119,887 times

Advertisements

There is a difference between liking it because/when it is rare and genuinely liking it though, which makes all this silly imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 PM

7,064 posts, read 19,373,052 times
SF easily. I'm growing tired of hot, humid summers. Miami's climate seems terrible to me.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,771,499 times
This thread/poll really backfired.

I understand everyone has a preference, but if Miami was winning this poll, SDP would be all over it.

So far since creating this...crickets from his end.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:38 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,791,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
There is a difference between liking it because/when it is rare and genuinely liking it though, which makes all this silly imo.
I think people here like it for both reasons, it's entertaining weather but doesn't happen to the extent to where's it's too much or causes much damage.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:41 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,119,887 times
Fair enough.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:55 AM

3,721 posts, read 4,894,130 times
To me, no contest! Miami all the way. How can any body like cold, rain and fog all the time??? Give me sun, heat and humidity 12 month's of the year. That's why I am looking to get out of this frozen tundra I live in and move to south FL. It can't ever get too hot and humid for me!!

Old 08-09-2015, 03:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,203,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Constantly cool vs constantly warm. I wouldn't classify San Francisco as cold in the traditional sense or Miami as hot in the traditional sense. Both get only about 10-15F variation from their hottest to coldest months.
LOL...satisfied now?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:26 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,402,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I'm both a "city-data" person and a "real" person, and my vote on weather has nothing to do with the cities really (There are plenty of things I like/dislike about both). I find your post a little annoying/the opposite of what I see on here/reality though: there is constant talk about how everyone is moving south for the weather and how this love of four seasons stuff is nonsense (despite the millions upon millions who live in the north). Well sorry, but I do prefer four seasons and I sweat like crazy in heat and humidity, my SO feels the exact opposite as me so there's no reason to claim a big conspiracy, just accept different people like/tolerate different things.
I'm from the north. If what you say is true, I would smell barbecues in January but I don't. Where are all these "season lovers" as soon it gets cold? Inside in the heat.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,660,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Miami Beach has a warm, tropical climate OUTSIDE of the tropics, which is a rarity on Earth, and thus all the benefits that come with it, including warm, balmy conditions during the dead of winter, as well as round-the-clock thunderstorms during the summer, allowing for superfluous tropical vegetation, and warm water beaches. While San Francisco mild temperatures, it is too devoid of summer rainfall and thunderstorms for my liking, much like the rest of California.
Miami doesn't have round-the-clock thunderstorms during the summer. It has daily afternoon thunderstorms that arise from the Everglades and are pushed east towards the city cooling it off in the process. It's like clockwork and the thunderstorms are brief yet torrential at times.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,191,243 times
Here's a basic primer on SF (and California) weather:

San Francisco is truly a "one season" climate; it's actually more frostproof than parts of Miami; that same cold Pacific ocean that keeps it 55, foggy, with a biting wind in summer also keeps it from going below freezing, even on the coldest nights, in winter. 55/50 F with remarkable consistency year round. Most rain falls as cold overcast drizzle in winter. So I guess it's good for people who like it consistently cool year round; but I think most people want some sort of "summer"; if you put a poll in Bay Area forums to whether San Francisco or San Jose have better weather, San Jose will win by a landslide. Their winter weather is absolutely identical but in summer San Jose average highs of around 80 F in summer with guaranteed sun every day even though its only 40 miles from San Francisco.

Almost everyone prefers Southern California's beaches to Northern California's beaches; even though we still deal with the marine layer and are rather cool by summer standards, everyone knows that the morning fog burning off to see 75 F in the afternoon is a lot more pleasant than going days at a time without seeing the sun or the temperature rising above 60 F (not at all uncommon on the beaches of SF).

Many people dislike humid heat of the summers on the East Coast but the vast majority of people will choose the much better California climates of L.A., San Diego, or inland Bay Area micorclimates (San Jose, East Bay) over San Francisco just because they enjoy sunshine and being able to walk around without a jacket in July.

Summer weather patterns for the major cities of California:

San Francisco: typical July day on the beach: 57/50 F fog; no sun in sight.
San Francisco: typical July day downtown: 62/50 F with fog clearing for about 2 hours in the afternoon only to be replaced by a biting wind at 5PM.
San Jose: typical July day; 80/55; AM marine layer burning off to bright sunshine by 10AM.
San Diego: typical July day; 75/65: AM marine layer burning off to bring sunshine by noon
L.A. coast: typical July day: similar to San Diego
L.A downtown: typical July day: 85/65: AM marine layer burning off to bright sunshine by 10AM.
L.A. valley: typical July day: 90/65: not a cloud in sight: cool morning, hot afternoon, nice evening
Sacramento: typical July day: 95/60: not a cloud in sight; cold morning, hot afternoon, nice evening.

If you ask people to rank these California climates from their most to least favorite, San Francisco will probably be at the bottom most of the time.

As for Montclair's comments about San Franciscans calling 911 upon seeing lightning, please post a link to newstory or better yet, to the audio clip recordings of those phone calls. I think the forumers from the East Coast would get a kick out of it.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 08-09-2015 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City