Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:56 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,706,548 times

Advertisements

^ that's too extreme for me. SF/Bay Area winters aren't bad at all but kind of annoying, somewhat mild but not mild enough imo. I like heat but not that much heat for summer lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I created a "perfect climate" that would be somewhere between SF and Miami; sort of a slightly warmer version of San Diego (daytime highs are warmer but nighttime lows are about similar to SD to remain comfortable enough to sleep without AC). Unlike California, it has no dry season and gets several thunderstorms a month year round but has more sunshine than the real California coast because there's no marine layer. Unlike Florida, it doesn't have stiffling levels of humid heat in summer or hurricanes or tornadoes. I think most people would choose my (fictional) climate over SF OR Miami:
That's pretty close to my ideal except I might bump up some of the lows by a few degrees and reduce some of the summer rain totals/days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 03:01 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,181,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
^ that's too extreme for me. SF/Bay Area winters aren't bad at all but kind of annoying, somewhat mild but not mild enough imo. I like heat but not that much heat for summer lol.

That's pretty close to my ideal except I might bump up some of the lows by a few degrees and reduce some of the summer rain totals/days.

If you want balmy nights year round with a drying trend in summer, here's your ideal climate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu#Climate
My ideal climate would have way more thunderstorms than Honolulu though.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
If you want balmy nights year round with a drying trend in summer, here's your ideal climate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu#Climate
My ideal climate would have way more thunderstorms than Honolulu though.
Out of the places I've actually been to, Honolulu and Hawaii has always been my favorite but even then it's trends a bit too much on the warm side in summer.

I think temp wise the Canary Islands is closest to my ideal, but way less rainfall than I'd want. Water temps aren't too bad either!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...nerife#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Palmas#Climate

Old 08-12-2015, 04:13 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,181,505 times
Quote:
Out of the places I've actually been to, Honolulu and Hawaii has always been my favorite but even then it's trends a bit too much on the warm side in summer.

I think temp wise the Canary Islands is closest to my ideal, but way less rainfall than I'd want. Water temps aren't too bad either!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...nerife#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Palmas#Climate
Comfortable but even drier than San Diego and probably no thunderstorms most years!
How's this for your ideal A+ climate? I wanted to add thunderstorm days but the formatting won't let me; I'm just going to say about half the rainfall days have a thunderstorm so almost 30 per year but no severe or dangerous ones.

Attached Thumbnails
Weather Battle: San Francisco vs Miami-nz.jpg  

Old 08-12-2015, 04:19 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,156,513 times
Quote:
Comfortable but even drier than San Diego and probably no thunderstorms most years!
How's this for your ideal A+ climate? I wanted to add thunderstorm days but the formatting won't let me; I'm just going to say about half the rainfall days have a thunderstorm so almost 30 per year but no severe or dangerous ones.
The climate is great if you're not a beach person. If you want to walk around in a suit outside, and never be super cold, it will be fine.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
How's this for your ideal A+ climate for your tastes?
Almost spot on, if I'm going to split hairs maybe drop the winter highs a few degrees (I like a cool and rainy day every now and then in winter) and up the winter rain totals a little (24-25" annual).

Old 08-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The climate is great if you're not a beach person. If you want to walk around in a suit outside, and never be super cold, it will be fine.
I'm a beach person and that climate seems great. Not sure why you think people don't enjoy the beach with temps in the 70's, especially since you claim to have lived on the beach in SD. Guess you thought the thousands of people on the sand and in the water were a mirage...

Old 08-12-2015, 04:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,765,533 times
Quote:
You have got to be the biggest baby on earth. I wouldn't even wear a suit if temps were in the 60's.

And before you say it for the umpteenth time, I am not a fatty...far from it actually.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:24 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,156,513 times
Quote:
I'm a beach person and that climate seems great. Not sure why you think people don't enjoy the beach with temps in the 70's, especially since you claim to have lived on the beach in SD. Guess you thought the thousands of people on the sand and in the water were a mirage...
Because that's the warmest gets in San Diego, doesn't mean it's desirable. 70s is too cold for the beach for me. I just don't feel comfortable especially going into the water and out of the water, and that's when the water is warm.

I was in San Diego for 3 summers, 2009, 2010, 2011. 2009 was actually the only time I was consistently at the beach, and that was in August when they had their mini "hot spell" where it was 80s, even upper 80s at the beach. The other 2 summers, the beaches were dead.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Because that's the warmest gets in San Diego, doesn't mean it's desirable. 70s is too cold for the beach for me. I just don't feel comfortable especially going into the water and out of the water, and that's when the water is warm.

I was in San Diego for 3 summers, 2009, 2010, 2011. 2009 was actually the only time I was consistently at the beach, and that was in August when they had their mini "hot spell" where it was 80s, even upper 80s at the beach. The other 2 summers, the beaches were dead.
But the millions or so people that visit SD beaches every year and go swimming clearly does show it's desirable to many. You can have whatever preference you want but I don't understand how you have trouble noticing the thousands of people on the beach every day in summer enjoying the beach and ocean. I wasn't there in 2011 but 2010 was the coldest summer in 80+ years so not sure why you constantly bring that up as if it's the norm. Are you really that dense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City