Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,156,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
But lots of people don't find it too cold and still find it plenty enjoyable to swim in, that's the point. You and Bajan are acting like no one can enjoy water temps in the low 70's.

Well then lots of people are enjoying 70 degree waves in Southern CA. People are also using more energy playing in the waves, the concept of body surfing might be foreign in Miami but lots of people like to do in places that have actual waves.
Everyone in San Diego complains about the water temperatures except surfers who all wear wet suits. That they can enjoy less than ideal conditions is not hard to see. You have midwesterners enjoying their terrible weather too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:56 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,706,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Okay. I'm just saying that 73 degrees is considered a little chilly even for competitive swimmers. So if you've got pool rats (and I definitely consider myself among their ranks) complaining about water in the low 70s, then how is the average Joe Schmoe from Ohio who sets a foot in a pool once a year going to react to 73 degree water? Probably not well.

But why would one react to swimming in a 68 degree pool any differently from swimming in 68 degree open water?
Okay? Not sure what competitive swimming has to do with anything. We're talking about leisurely swimming in the ocean, it's not the same thing. You get a chill if when you enter in 76-78 degree water but it goes away fairly quickly, just as the chill from 73 degree water goes away as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,477,805 times
It's been 75 F in the oceab lately here, Santa Monica is currently in mid 70s water temp and could easily become upper 70s by next week after a week of 90s hit the beach. Not cold to swim at at all. And the ocean and beach has been packed, yes with people swimming

Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Okay? Not sure what competitive swimming has to do with anything. We're talking about leisurely swimming in the ocean, it's not the same thing. You get a chill if when you enter in 76-78 degree water but it goes away fairly quickly, just as the chill from 73 degree water goes away as well.
No it doesn't, at that temperature you will get cold and need to leave the water even when you adjust. This just shows me you don't go in the water much.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,617,460 times
Oh hush Sav858. Dont you know its easier for all those plump Miamians to dip their sausage toes in warm Floridian water.

Oink.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Everyone in San Diego complains about the water temperatures except surfers who all wear wet suits. That they can enjoy less than ideal conditions is not hard to see. You have midwesterners enjoying their terrible weather too.
Yeah, nothing but complaints:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...rts-today.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...mperature.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh hush Sav858. Dont you know its easier for all those plump Miamians to dip their sausage toes in warm Floridian water.

Oink.
I see you are still reeling for me calling you fat. I know how to call them out, don't I

32,122 posts, read 34,797,313 times
Quote:
So a video from a cloudy day when the "water was exceptionally cold", which can happen due to cold upwellings, is supposed to prove???

Ok Bajan, I lived in San Diego for 9 years by the beach but you must know more about the beach and ocean swimming scene there than me. You've resorted to YouTube videos even quicker than normal.....
I'm not going to argue too much about this. I was just saying that competitive swimmers often find water in the low 70s to be cold, and since competitive swimmers spend considerably more time in water than the average person, it's likely that the average person (who may swim once or twice per year) would not find such water to be comfortable.

Water around 90 degrees is fine for splashing around in but not so great for hard swimming. You can practice in 90 degree water but you'll likely have to hydrate more and swim a bit slower. But it's not uncomfortable by any stretch of the imagination. 90 degrees is the ideal temperature for senior citizen aquatic activities.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not going to argue too much about this. .
Good because you shouldn't, I'm guessing you've never actually spent much, or any, time at the beach let alone in the water during summer in Southern CA.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:02 AM

32,122 posts, read 34,797,313 times
Quote:
Because you can overheat during competitive swimming. I swim HARD so a 77/78 degree pool is not a huge deal to me. Even then, it's still quite chilly at first. Now simply lounging around in 73 degree water is quite a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City