Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer
San Francisco 150 62.76%
Miami Beach 89 37.24%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:26 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Can you ever be sure those are men out there? lol I'll pass on the questionables and granolas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Don-UOk9Rsw
Good fer you mate, and I'll be passing on the unemployed and dumber-than-dirt boys who seem to do nothing but lift weights and go the beach like every day, all day.

Ambition is way hotter, and now we know that men in SF, aside from being more successful, are in fact, more fit and take better care of themselves than men in Miami.

In fact,
San Francisco ranks 2nd.
Miami ranks 25th.

http://www.groominglounge.com/blog/m...ndsome-cities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Good fer you mate, and I'll be passing on the unemployed and dumber-than-dirt boys who seem to do nothing but lift weights and go the beach like every day, all day.

Ambition is way hotter, and now we know that men in SF, aside from being more successful, are in fact, more fit and take better care of themselves than men in Miami.

In fact,
San Francisco ranks 2nd.
Miami ranks 25th.

http://www.groominglounge.com/blog/m...ndsome-cities/
Miami is 12% white. Blacks and hispanics have the highest obesity rates. Asians the lowest. SF is heavily Asian and the black and hispanic population of Miami drives the obesity rate up. Places you would live: middle class and upper class neighborhoods in the Miami area aren't going to be much different in BMI than SF.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:05 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Miami is 12% white. Blacks and hispanics have the highest obesity rates. Asians the lowest. SF is heavily Asian and the black and hispanic population of Miami drives the obesity rate up. Places you or I would live: middle class and upper class neighborhoods in the Miami area aren't going to be much different in BMI than SF. The only difference is the people in wealthier Miami neighborhoods will be more attractive than SF. Just look at the SoBe video.
SF men are fitter, they also spend more on clothes and personal care and well being, and it shows.

And sorry, but San Francisco's wealthy men are much more attractive than the set one finds in Miami and it's not close. Been there, done that.

To each his own, but I'll pass on that.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
A few weeks ago in San Diego in 73 degree water, I loved it. I'm envious of SoCal and Hawaii during summer, South Florida not so much especially if you're having water temps above 90, yuck!
73 degree water is chilly imo. It's definitely too cold to simply wade around in. That would only feel comfortable to me on a day where it's 100+ degrees outside.

Quote:
Water Temperature

One of the most important features of facility design is the ability to vary water temperatures for specific populations and programs. Many articles have been written on this subject. Here are some general guidelines:

82 degree water (and lower)
Competitive swim team training
Adult aerobic lap swimming
High intensity vertical water exercise
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 78-80 degrees; never higher than 82 degrees. The more aerobic the activity, the lower the air temperature needs to be.

86 – 88 degree water
Learn-to-swim
Moderate vertical water exercise and water walking
Younger age (10-under) swim training
Low intensity lap swimming
Synchronized swimming
Diving
Recreational swimming
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 82-84 degrees; never higher than 84 degrees and slightly lower is OK.

90 – 92 degree water
Aquatic therapy
AiChi
Learn-to-swim for children
Diving
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 84 degrees; never higher than 84 degrees and slightly lower is OK.

95 degree water
Aquatic Therapy
WATSU
Ai-Chi
Learn-to-swim for preschool
Note: The ideal air temperature for these activities is 84 degrees; never higher than 84 degrees and slightly lower is OK.
USA Swimming - WATER DEPTH AND TEMPERATURE

I don't think many people realize how cold >80 degree water can feel. If you swam competitively or just swim a lot in general, it may not bother you that much (I swam competitively). But there are times where I've gone a while without swimming, stick my foot into a pool in late Spring, and then yank it back out. And I consider myself to be pretty tolerant of a wide range of pool temperatures. For the average person, I would imagine 73 would be quite cold.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
73 water is down right cold. That's the water temps we get in our winter. And even the tourists have trouble entering. In San Diego, it's also a similar story. Some people are pretending, it's ok, let them.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
73 degree water is chilly imo. It's definitely too cold to simply wade around in. That would only feel comfortable to me on a day where it's 100+ degrees outside.

USA Swimming - WATER DEPTH AND TEMPERATURE

I don't think many people realize how cold >80 degree water can feel. If you swam competitively or just swim a lot in general, it may not bother you that much (I swam competitively). But there are times where I've gone a while without swimming, stick my foot into a pool in late Spring, and then yank it back out. And I consider myself to be pretty tolerant of a wide range of pool temperatures. For the average person, I would imagine 73 would be quite cold.
For you and other people I'm sure it is but for lots of other people it's not at all. There are tons of people in the water in San Diego when the water is the that temp or even a little lower so I'm not sure how you and people like SDPMiami don't get that a lot of other people don't find that too cold at all to swim in.

Also we're talking about the ocean, not pools so I don't really see the point of much of your post.

From my observations in Southern CA I've found below to be fairly accurate for swimming in the OCEAN:
Quote:
Water Temperature of the Sea Below 19°C (66°F)

For swimming this is considered relatively cool and though enjoyed by the more hardy among us, any more than 10-20 minutes in the sea would leave you feeling refreshed to say the least.

Water Temperature of the Sea Below 22°C (72°F)

For swimming this is considered fairly warm and should be enjoyed by most, though some people may still find it a little too cool for their liking.
SWIMMING AND WATER TEMPERATURE INDEX

Old 08-13-2015, 09:27 AM

Even in San Diego you hardly see swimmers during the summer months. When I was there in 2009, during August the water surface climbed to the mid 70s in places like La Jolla Cove. And yet even then, vast majority did not swim, they just sunbathed, played beach stuff whatever. My own parents came to visit, and my father and mother found the water too cold and did not swim at all.

It's definitely not 'warm' or 'ideal'. That some people brave it is another story.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 AM

The ocean is full of thousands of people swimming every summer, you're seriously blind.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The ocean is full of thousands of people swimming every summer, you're seriously blind.
No it's not, you have some people standing in the water and then go back out. Just watch people enter the water, with their hands outstretched and their faces as they suffer the extreme cold.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
No it's not, you have some people standing in the water and then go back out. Just watch people enter the water, with their hands outstretched and their faces as they suffer the extreme cold.
Yes it is, you're the only person who has ever said that. Even others that have lived in Southern Ca that find the ocean too cold don't try to pretend that the ocean isn't full of other people swimming that clearly don't. I've lived there for 9 years and went to the beach often during summer, it's full of people swimming most of the time. I was there a few weeks ago, again full of people swimming. You need some new glasses or contacts.

Why don't you go post that in the San Diego forum and see what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City