Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2023, 10:08 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,273,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Bowling Green. I don't know a ton about Racine, and there are other towns along Lake Michigan I would pick over BG. I grew up in Kentucky and have been to BG many times. It is a nice town and has grown a lot in recent years.

Tucson AZ or Boise ID
Tucson. Bigger city and not far from a larger city (Phoenix). Athens GA or Denton TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 03:10 PM

546 posts, read 833,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Tucson. Bigger city and not far from a larger city (Phoenix). Athens GA or Denton TX?
Both college towns close to big cities. Denton because it's actually part of Dallas's metro but Athens is outside metro Atlanta. Plus, I prefer Texas to Georgia.

Brownsville, Texas or Santa Maria, California?

Old 11-02-2023, 12:36 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,443,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Both college towns close to big cities. Denton because it's actually part of Dallas's metro but Athens is outside metro Atlanta. Plus, I prefer Texas to Georgia.

Brownsville, Texas or Santa Maria, California?
Santa Maria, no contest. I don't think I'd be a big fan of living somewhere, where I worry the lack of me knowing a lot of Spanish(except for a few basic words and phrases) would be a barrier to me enjoying living there. And Santa Maria isn't too far from other scenic areas.

Boone, NC, or Clemson, SC?

Old 11-02-2023, 01:58 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,919,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglepuss2 View Post
Clemson SC - A little further south..

Your job wants you to transfer to either thier barrow AK or Tuscon AZ location for 6 months,which one would you rather goto?
Tuscon, without a question.... The summer heat is the only extreme to navigate. While in Burrow, you have to deal with extreme weather, permafrost, extreme cost of living, lack of amenities, extreme isolation from other places, and either extreme daylight or extreme darkness for significant portions of the year.

San Fernando Valley, CA or Queens, NY?

Old 11-02-2023, 02:02 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,273,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglepuss2 View Post
Clemson SC - A little further south..

Your job wants you to transfer to either thier barrow AK or Tuscon AZ location for 6 months,which one would you rather goto?
Tucson without a doubt. Barrow is way too small and an Alaskan winter especially up near the Arctic circle would be too much. Greenville SC or Chattanooga TN?

Old 11-02-2023, 08:13 PM

14,367 posts, read 9,270,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Tuscon, without a question.... The summer heat is the only extreme to navigate. While in Burrow, you have to deal with extreme weather, permafrost, extreme cost of living, lack of amenities, extreme isolation from other places, and either extreme daylight or extreme darkness for significant portions of the year.

San Fernando Valley, CA or Queens, NY?
Queens. As outlying middle-class redoubts go, New York's is IMO more diverse and interesting than LA's. (Staten Islanders may object to my referring to Queens rather than it in this fashion. They can press their case when their demographics more closely resemble those of either Queens or Northeast Philadelphia.)

Since someone else alao answered the previous matchup (identically), I'll repeat their pairing before concluding my I-70 Midwest round robin:

Greenville, SC or Chattanooga, TN?

Old 11-03-2023, 08:13 AM

9,740 posts, read 9,529,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Queens. As outlying middle-class redoubts go, New York's is IMO more diverse and interesting than LA's. (Staten Islanders may object to my referring to Queens rather than it in this fashion. They can press their case when their demographics more closely resemble those of either Queens or Northeast Philadelphia.)

Since someone else alao answered the previous matchup (identically), I'll repeat their pairing before concluding my I-70 Midwest round robin:

Greenville, SC or Chattanooga, TN?
Greenville easily. Chattanooga has lost its appeal. Once you get over the scenery, you realize this town has a lot to be desired. It is segregated and has too many run down areas for me. The city has a crime issue and lacks white collar jobs.

Wheeling, WV or Jonesboro, AR?

Old 11-06-2023, 04:46 PM

23 posts, read 21,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Greenville easily. Chattanooga has lost its appeal. Once you get over the scenery, you realize this town has a lot to be desired. It is segregated and has too many run down areas for me. The city has a crime issue and lacks white collar jobs.

Wheeling, WV or Jonesboro, AR?
Even though Jonesboro is three times bigger, I'm choosing Wheeling. Wheeling's downtown core is incredibly impressive for a city of 25K. You have a pretty large, dense urban core to the east, then Wheeling Island to the west, an almost 100% residential area. Jonesboro is growing very fast though, but I as a lover of dense urban areas, Wheeling wins my vote. Jonesboro's downtown is smaller and has a little density and a lot of potential, but too sparce/surface lot littered for my liking. Wheeling feels much larger than it is.

Jackson, MS or Joliet, IL?

Old 11-06-2023, 05:33 PM

82 posts, read 53,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calesacult View Post
Even though Jonesboro is three times bigger, I'm choosing Wheeling. Wheeling's downtown core is incredibly impressive for a city of 25K. You have a pretty large, dense urban core to the east, then Wheeling Island to the west, an almost 100% residential area. Jonesboro is growing very fast though, but I as a lover of dense urban areas, Wheeling wins my vote. Jonesboro's downtown is smaller and has a little density and a lot of potential, but too sparce/surface lot littered for my liking. Wheeling feels much larger than it is.

Jackson, MS or Joliet, IL?
Joliet…. This must be a joke. Jackson is easily one of the most troubled cities in the US. The city lacks safe drinking water and has a murder rate that rivals those of Cartel-ridden cities in Mexico. The city is in terrible condition, (think “Detroit of the South”), and it only has gotten worse in the past few years. Whatever Joliet lacks in the department of things to do, it’s within an hour’s drive from Chicago, and it isn’t like Jackson is some sort of bastion for things to do. The biggest show in town for the past few years is now coaching in Boulder. & unlike Joliet, Jackson is the only “major” city within a 3 hour drive.

Hackensack NJ or Worcester MA

Old 11-06-2023, 09:07 PM

9,740 posts, read 9,529,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post
Joliet…. This must be a joke. Jackson is easily one of the most troubled cities in the US. The city lacks safe drinking water and has a murder rate that rivals those of Cartel-ridden cities in Mexico. The city is in terrible condition, (think “Detroit of the South”), and it only has gotten worse in the past few years. Whatever Joliet lacks in the department of things to do, it’s within an hour’s drive from Chicago, and it isn’t like Jackson is some sort of bastion for things to do. The biggest show in town for the past few years is now coaching in Boulder. & unlike Joliet, Jackson is the only “major” city within a 3 hour drive.

Hackensack NJ or Worcester MA
There are pros and cons to both. Worcester is my choice. The city is growing and has a young energy.

Augusta, GA or Bloomington, IN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City