Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2023, 08:29 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,978,805 times

Advertisements

Phoenix, especially towards the northern city limit where it's an easier, quicker drive to escape the long, hot summers up towards the mountains for the weekend to cool off. You're also just half a day's drive to Vegas and Southern California, which is far more intriguing for a weekend or week without flying than a half day's drive to Atlanta or Nashville IMO. The Mexican cuisine is much better too, and this comes from somebody who just made his first visit to Arizona for the first time and basically just drove through Phoenix while checking out other parts of the state, and Phoenix definitely has a lot to offer despite its sprawly layout, although I don't mind driving, and AZ's gas prices aren't that much more expensive than NC's. It has the MLB and NHL that Charlotte doesn't, and its making strides in sustaining its water supply. Charlotte strikes me as Indianapolis with a southern accent, and its summers aren't cool/short enough to convince me to pick it over Phoenix.

Another AZ vs. NC comparison:

Tucson, AZ or Greensboro, NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 09:10 AM

42 posts, read 20,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Phoenix, especially towards the northern city limit where it's an easier, quicker drive to escape the long, hot summers up towards the mountains for the weekend to cool off. You're also just half a day's drive to Vegas and Southern California, which is far more intriguing for a weekend or week without flying than a half day's drive to Atlanta or Nashville IMO. The Mexican cuisine is much better too, and this comes from somebody who just made his first visit to Arizona for the first time and basically just drove through Phoenix while checking out other parts of the state, and Phoenix definitely has a lot to offer despite its sprawly layout, although I don't mind driving, and AZ's gas prices aren't that much more expensive than NC's. It has the MLB and NHL that Charlotte doesn't, and its making strides in sustaining its water supply. Charlotte strikes me as Indianapolis with a southern accent, and its summers aren't cool/short enough to convince me to pick it over Phoenix.

Another AZ vs. NC comparison:

Tucson, AZ or Greensboro, NC?
Greensboro, NC. I don't think I can survive living out west.

Atlanta, GA (Midtown) or Dallas, TX (Uptown)

Old 10-30-2023, 12:41 PM

4,787 posts, read 3,088,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
Greensboro, NC. I don't think I can survive living out west.

Atlanta, GA (Midtown) or Dallas, TX (Uptown)
Haven't visited either one (except for their airports),
so I took a quick look at each nabe on Streetview.
I'd choose the Atlanta nabe, because it looks
much more walkable (is there any place in
the DFW area where you can get around
w/o driving?).

A couple of off-the-beaten-path places:

Bisbee AZ or Silver City NM?

Old 10-31-2023, 02:33 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,098,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Haven't visited either one (except for their airports),
so I took a quick look at each nabe on Streetview.
I'd choose the Atlanta nabe, because it looks
much more walkable (is there any place in
the DFW area where you can get around
w/o driving?).

A couple of off-the-beaten-path places:

Bisbee AZ or Silver City NM?
Usually New Mexico is more interesting and weird than Arizona, but this looks like a case where the opposite is true. At least, having a state university I would assume adds a baseline of normalcy to Silver City. But I would probably prefer it for day-to-day living for that reason --- better basic amenities. I've passed through Bisbee once and, while beautiful, it was small and pretty dead.

Pittsburgh or Orlando?

Old 10-31-2023, 08:19 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Usually New Mexico is more interesting and weird than Arizona, but this looks like a case where the opposite is true. At least, having a state university I would assume adds a baseline of normalcy to Silver City. But I would probably prefer it for day-to-day living for that reason --- better basic amenities. I've passed through Bisbee once and, while beautiful, it was small and pretty dead.

Pittsburgh or Orlando?
That's an interesting pairing: a legacy industrial city, Appalachia's biggest, that's reinventing itself vs. a tourist magnet in the land of eternal sunshine.

I'll go with the industrial city that's reinventing itself. The 'Burgh has it all over Orlando in terms of topography, and while walking up those hills when it snows may be a chore, at least I will still have all four seasons to glory in.

Round 4:

Columbus or Kansas City?

Old 10-31-2023, 10:21 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That's an interesting pairing: a legacy industrial city, Appalachia's biggest, that's reinventing itself vs. a tourist magnet in the land of eternal sunshine.

I'll go with the industrial city that's reinventing itself. The 'Burgh has it all over Orlando in terms of topography, and while walking up those hills when it snows may be a chore, at least I will still have all four seasons to glory in.

Round 4:

Columbus or Kansas City?
Columbus. It's growing and probably has more opportunities. Annapolis MD or Olympia WA?

Old 10-31-2023, 01:04 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Columbus. It's growing and probably has more opportunities. Annapolis MD or Olympia WA?
Annapolis... Both seem like decent places, but I'd rather live in the Mid-Atlantic than the Pacific Northwest and the proximity to the DMV and Baltimore metros is a huge plus.

Utica, NY or Erie, PA?

Old 10-31-2023, 09:14 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,427,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Annapolis... Both seem like decent places, but I'd rather live in the Mid-Atlantic than the Pacific Northwest and the proximity to the DMV and Baltimore metros is a huge plus.

Utica, NY or Erie, PA?
I don't think I'd be enthusiastic about living in either place. I guess I'd pick Erie, since the crime is a tad less(per looking up stats for both places) there.

Tacoma, WA, or Long Beach, CA?

Old 10-31-2023, 10:50 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post

Utica, NY or Erie, PA?
Long Beach due to weather and things to do.

Bowling Green, KY or Racine, WI

Old 11-01-2023, 06:52 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,363,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bowling Green, KY or Racine, WI
Bowling Green. I don't know a ton about Racine, and there are other towns along Lake Michigan I would pick over BG. I grew up in Kentucky and have been to BG many times. It is a nice town and has grown a lot in recent years.

Tucson AZ or Boise ID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City