Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2023, 09:08 AM

3,495 posts, read 3,418,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Iowa City seems like a nicer overall college town. I’ll take it.

Minneapolis MN or Vancouver BC?
On paper, Vancouver seems like it'd be better at first glance. And IF money/cost of living wasn't an issue, for someone. That said I've heard Vancouver has a VERY high cost of living, and that homelessness(even with makeshift tent cities popping up in some places) is an issue, in Vancouver. So considering all this(and with my research, I haven't noticed tent cities being a problem in Minneapolis), I'll go with that one. I've always really liked Minneapolis as a city. And from street viewing it, it seems very nice.

If this thread was over which of these 2 cities you'd more want to visit(it isn't), then I would've picked Vancouver. I just worry Vancouver is one of those cities where you might do a visit to once, and then don't feel a lot of desire to go back to. And how I felt, after visiting San Francisco.

Monterey, CA, or San Luis Obispo, CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 04:54 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,901,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
On paper, Vancouver seems like it'd be better at first glance. And IF money/cost of living wasn't an issue, for someone. That said I've heard Vancouver has a VERY high cost of living, and that homelessness(even with makeshift tent cities popping up in some places) is an issue, in Vancouver. So considering all this(and with my research, I haven't noticed tent cities being a problem in Minneapolis), I'll go with that one. I've always really liked Minneapolis as a city. And from street viewing it, it seems very nice.

If this thread was over which of these 2 cities you'd more want to visit(it isn't), then I would've picked Vancouver. I just worry Vancouver is one of those cities where you might do a visit to once, and then don't feel a lot of desire to go back to. And how I felt, after visiting San Francisco.

Monterey, CA, or San Luis Obispo, CA?
Monterey for its proximity to the Bay Area. Both seem like marvelous places.

Cincinnati, OH or St Louis, MO?

Old 05-31-2023, 07:31 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,352,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Cincinnati, OH or St Louis, MO?
In 2021 and years prior I would have said Cincinnati no hesitation. However, I had a chance to spend a week in STL last year and it was much nicer than I recalled from my college days. The Arch grounds have been re-done, Delmar Blvd was so nice on a warm evening, the toasted ravioli hit different. Just had a great time in STL.

However, Cincinnati is still my choice. I even love the chili. If I were to ever consider relocation in real life, Cincinnati is on my real life short list.

Milwaukee WI or Pittsburgh PA

Old 05-31-2023, 07:55 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,333,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
In 2021 and years prior I would have said Cincinnati no hesitation. However, I had a chance to spend a week in STL last year and it was much nicer than I recalled from my college days. The Arch grounds have been re-done, Delmar Blvd was so nice on a warm evening, the toasted ravioli hit different. Just had a great time in STL.

However, Cincinnati is still my choice. I even love the chili. If I were to ever consider relocation in real life, Cincinnati is on my real life short list.

Milwaukee WI or Pittsburgh PA
Close but I think I'll give Pittsburgh the edge. Milwaukee has a nice water front but I feel Pittsburgh as a city offers a bit more. Prefer the hilly scenery and I like being close to the East coast.

Charlotte NC or Austin TX?

Old 05-31-2023, 08:23 AM

13,755 posts, read 8,062,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Charlotte NC or Austin TX?
Charlotte. I feel that the growth and construction there is not as overwhelming, and I think I'd prefer the wetter climate. I'm also just much more familiar with the East Coast.

Wyoming, Michigan or Wyoming, Minnesota?

Old 05-31-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Charlotte. I feel that the growth and construction there is not as overwhelming, and I think I'd prefer the wetter climate. I'm also just much more familiar with the East Coast.

Wyoming, Michigan or Wyoming, Minnesota?
The one in Minnesota may not be a bad town, but personally I like how the one in Michigan is next to the city of Grand Rapids. And is bigger, so I'll go with that one.

Las Vegas, NM, or Silver City, NM?

Old 06-01-2023, 01:53 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
The one in Minnesota may not be a bad town, but personally I like how the one in Michigan is next to the city of Grand Rapids. And is bigger, so I'll go with that one.

Las Vegas, NM, or Silver City, NM?
Probably Las Vegas. Pueblo CO or Las Cruces NM?

Old 06-01-2023, 05:31 PM

10,770 posts, read 23,907,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Probably Las Vegas. Pueblo CO or Las Cruces NM?
Tough one, if I ever lived in NM again I'd happily live in Las Cruces. I like the Organ Mountain range, it's stunning and nearby by White Sands NP. Cruces has the aroma of chile roasting in late summer, and the charm of Old Mesilla. Nice agreeable sized city with El Paso nearby to pick up the slack.

Pueblo is not my favorite, nor is it really anyone's favorite city in Colorado but it is located on the Front Range so Denver is reasonably close.

I'll pick Las Cruces on this one.

Stonington, CT or Hampton, NH?

Old 06-01-2023, 05:50 PM

6,433 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Tough one, if I ever lived in NM again I'd happily live in Las Cruces. I like the Organ Mountain range, it's stunning and nearby by White Sands NP. Cruces has the aroma of chile roasting in late summer, and the charm of Old Mesilla. Nice agreeable sized city with El Paso nearby to pick up the slack.

Pueblo is not my favorite, nor is it really anyone's favorite city in Colorado but it is located on the Front Range so Denver is reasonably close.

I'll pick Las Cruces on this one.

Stonington, CT or Hampton, NH?
Guess I'll take Hampton for the location, even though Stonington looks like more of an actual town and not just a place for people's summer homes. With Hampton you have Portsmouth NH, Portland ME, Manchester NH, and metro Boston all within 1-2 hours. Stonington manages to be kind of in the middle of nowhere, despite being in a densely populated region.

Man, though, I bet Hampton sucks during the winter with everyone gone. Stonington probably isn't too much better, though.

Two towns filling a similar niche on the opposite coast: Lopez Island, WA or Point Roberts, WA?

Old 06-01-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Guess I'll take Hampton for the location, even though Stonington looks like more of an actual town and not just a place for people's summer homes. With Hampton you have Portsmouth NH, Portland ME, Manchester NH, and metro Boston all within 1-2 hours. Stonington manages to be kind of in the middle of nowhere, despite being in a densely populated region.

Man, though, I bet Hampton sucks during the winter with everyone gone. Stonington probably isn't too much better, though.

Two towns filling a similar niche on the opposite coast: Lopez Island, WA or Point Roberts, WA?
Lopez Island, for sure. I don't think I'd be a fan of always having(for Port Roberts) to drive into British Columbia for ANY trips to the rest of the US(and to get to the I-5 border crossing), myself. Plus I like how the towns of Friday Harbor and Anacortes, are close by. Same with Victoria, BC.

Astoria, OR, or Eureka, CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City