Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2023, 04:42 PM

6,437 posts, read 5,093,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Hollywood, FL. I also like the beach and Hollywood, CA is very trashy.

Fort Lauderdale, FL or La Jolla, CA?
The current atmosphere in FL aside, Ft. Lauderdale (as with most of metro Miami that I've seen) just seems impersonal, a place for tourists and status-seekers. Like living on the Vegas Strip.

SD wouldn't be my first choice of a West Coast metro --- it does well on the "QOL" metrics I don't care much about (weather, scenery, general job market, super-low crime) and less well on the ones I do. But when I look at downtown La Jolla, it at least looks like a place I wouldn't mind hanging out with a friend or sitting down in a cafe with my laptop or a book for a while.

One pro about FTL: it at least looks more bikeable, just because of the flat terrain, street grid, and relatively consistent density.

Lethbridge, AB, CAN or Beckley, WV, USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 05:13 PM

10,774 posts, read 23,921,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
The current atmosphere in FL aside, Ft. Lauderdale (as with most of metro Miami that I've seen) just seems impersonal, a place for tourists and status-seekers. Like living on the Vegas Strip.

SD wouldn't be my first choice of a West Coast metro --- it does well on the "QOL" metrics I don't care much about (weather, scenery, general job market, super-low crime) and less well on the ones I do. But when I look at downtown La Jolla, it at least looks like a place I wouldn't mind hanging out with a friend or sitting down in a cafe with my laptop or a book for a while.

One pro about FTL: it at least looks more bikeable, just because of the flat terrain, street grid, and relatively consistent density.

Lethbridge, AB, CAN or Beckley, WV, USA?

At first I was going to take a pass on WV, it would be a hard place to settle into even though it's a scenic state. Would prefer the Eastern Panhandle if I had a choice. Beckley looks like it's in the heart of coal country and 20% of the population below the poverty line.

In 2016 the Calgary Herald wrote an article about the drug and gang related violence in Lethbridge and labled it Methbridge. I guess the name stuck.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...ge-warn-police.

While I wouldn't mind the high prairie and mountain setting of southern Alberta, if I'm going to leave the US and move to Canada, it would have to be somewhere well worth it like say Halifax, Victoria, or even Ottawa. I'll pass on Lethbridge and take Beckley.

Houston or Dallas?

Old 06-23-2023, 07:59 PM

3,940 posts, read 2,250,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
At first I was going to take a pass on WV, it would be a hard place to settle into even though it's a scenic state. Would prefer the Eastern Panhandle if I had a choice. Beckley looks like it's in the heart of coal country and 20% of the population below the poverty line.

In 2016 the Calgary Herald wrote an article about the drug and gang related violence in Lethbridge and labled it Methbridge. I guess the name stuck.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...ge-warn-police.

While I wouldn't mind the high prairie and mountain setting of southern Alberta, if I'm going to leave the US and move to Canada, it would have to be somewhere well worth it like say Halifax, Victoria, or even Ottawa. I'll pass on Lethbridge and take Beckley.

Houston or Dallas?
I prefer Houston! Tampa or Orlando?

Old 06-24-2023, 02:40 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,424,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I prefer Houston! Tampa or Orlando?
I'd pick Tampa, since I'd rather be near the Gulf coast and NOT amusement park tourists. And yes I'm aware Orlando has more than just amusement parks, but just my preference that I'd rather live near Tampa, if I had to be near one of those 2 places.

Pensacola, FL, or Mobile, AL?

Old 06-25-2023, 12:19 AM

14,340 posts, read 9,222,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'd pick Tampa, since I'd rather be near the Gulf coast and NOT amusement park tourists. And yes I'm aware Orlando has more than just amusement parks, but just my preference that I'd rather live near Tampa, if I had to be near one of those 2 places.

Pensacola, FL, or Mobile, AL?
Mobile. Alabama's port city has a lot more Southern charm than the biggest city on the "Redneck Riviera."

Rehoboth Beach, Del., or Virginia Beach, Va.?

Old 06-25-2023, 08:19 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Mobile. Alabama's port city has a lot more Southern charm than the biggest city on the "Redneck Riviera."

Rehoboth Beach, Del., or Virginia Beach, Va.?
Virginia Beach... Prefer the more populous city/metro (that still has beach access) for year-round living and I like the slightly warmer winters.

Charleston, WV or Cumberland, MD?

Old 06-25-2023, 09:44 AM

16,589 posts, read 10,744,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Virginia Beach... Prefer the more populous city/metro (that still has beach access) for year-round living and I like the slightly warmer winters.

Charleston, WV or Cumberland, MD?
They both sit in beautiful mountain settings, and Charleston (being a larger city and the state capital) has more to offer. But Cumberland, despite being economically depressed, is a very pleasant community with friendly people. Not saying that Charleston isn't, but I'm familiar enough with Cumberland to know that I like it, and I would choose it as a place to live in this instance.

Now, for a choice between these two states' mountain college towns: Frostburg, MD or Morgantown, WV?

Old 06-26-2023, 07:47 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Now, for a choice between these two states' mountain college towns: Frostburg, MD or Morgantown, WV?
I think I'd go with Frostburg. I like its smaller size, and I wouldn't care to be surrounded by a bunch of couch-burning eers with an inferiority complex.

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin or Whitewater, Wisconsin?

Old 06-26-2023, 09:16 AM

4,430 posts, read 4,341,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I think I'd go with Frostburg. I like its smaller size, and I wouldn't care to be surrounded by a bunch of couch-burning eers with an inferiority complex.

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin or Whitewater, Wisconsin?
Think I'll go with Whitewater. I like their location more and the downtown seems more active.

Portland ME or Burlington VT?

Old 06-26-2023, 11:53 AM

14,340 posts, read 9,222,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Think I'll go with Whitewater. I like their location more and the downtown seems more active.

Portland ME or Burlington VT?
Portland. Bigger and situated on a picturesque bay. Rivals Lancaster, Pa., for the title of coolest small city in the Northeast IMO.

But since someone mentioned Burlington:

Burlington, Mass., or Burlington, N.J.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City