Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 11:31 AM

16,587 posts, read 10,726,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It doesn't look like there's too much to distinguish these two suburbs from each other, other than their location relative to the main city (SLC). I'm not into suburbs. My preference is to live in a small town or more rural setting; but if I'm going to live in a metropolitan area, I'd prefer to be in the city itself and in an older neighborhood. A far-out suburb has less than zero appeal to me. I think I'd pick West Valley City just because it's quite a bit closer to SLC.

Okeechobee, Florida or Clewiston, Florida?
If I were told that I had to move somewhere RIGHT NOW! and had to choose immediately, West Jordan (or neighboring South Jordan) is one of my Top 5 choices for where I'd go. Ironic, given your response.

I feel the same way about your choice as you did on your previous choice. Small rural isolated towns are not my choice for a place to live. Clewiston isn't a horrible place, and it's orders of magnitude better than the other communities along the south rim of the lake. But I'm going to go with Okeechobee. It's a little bigger, and has a few more amenities (even has its own Amtrak station!) and it's closer to a real city than Clewiston is.

Plano, TX or The Woodlands, TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 01:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Bellaire. It seems to be a very nice suburb, and I like how close it is to central Houston. I'd much rather be on the Gulf Coast vs. Southern California.

Beaumont, Texas or Reading, Pennsylvania?
Tossup. Neither are what I'd call fabulous cities. Beaumont is about halfway between Houston and New Orleans, and Reading's an hour from Philadelphia and a half-hour from Lancaster. I LOOOOOOOVE Lancaster, but might go with Beaumont just for the novelty factor.

OOPS! I see I didn't refresh the thread before posting, so:

The Woodlands over Plano. Nice master-planned community on the outskirts of a more interesting city than Dallas.

Reading, Pa., or Redding, Calif.?

Old 04-29-2022, 02:17 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Tossup. Neither are what I'd call fabulous cities. Beaumont is about halfway between Houston and New Orleans, and Reading's an hour from Philadelphia and a half-hour from Lancaster. I LOOOOOOOVE Lancaster, but might go with Beaumont just for the novelty factor.

OOPS! I see I didn't refresh the thread before posting, so:

The Woodlands over Plano. Nice master-planned community on the outskirts of a more interesting city than Dallas.

Reading, Pa., or Redding, Calif.?
I'd probably go with Reading. It's near numerous other eastern Pennsylvania cities and towns that are interesting, and there is talk that commuter rail might eventually be revived between Reading and Philadelphia. I suspect Redding is okay to live in, but it sucks the risk of wildfires is a lot greater nowadays. Also the Amtrak arrival train times for the Coast Starlight, are in the middle of the overnight hours(ugh).

Santa Cruz, CA, or Asbury Park, NJ?

Old 04-30-2022, 09:49 PM

899 posts, read 528,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'd probably go with Reading. It's near numerous other eastern Pennsylvania cities and towns that are interesting, and there is talk that commuter rail might eventually be revived between Reading and Philadelphia. I suspect Redding is okay to live in, but it sucks the risk of wildfires is a lot greater nowadays. Also the Amtrak arrival train times for the Coast Starlight, are in the middle of the overnight hours(ugh).

Santa Cruz, CA, or Asbury Park, NJ?
Santa Cruz is a pretty nice place, with decent crime (although statistically inflated due to some factors), and the schools are pretty good. Asbury Park is pretty much the opposite.

Lake Worth Beach, FL or East Palo Alto, CA?

Old 05-01-2022, 06:37 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Santa Cruz is a pretty nice place, with decent crime (although statistically inflated due to some factors), and the schools are pretty good. Asbury Park is pretty much the opposite.

Lake Worth Beach, FL or East Palo Alto, CA?
Lake Worth Beach... It's a larger town with what appears to be a greater mix of areas and amenities, so I believe it'd be easier to find something more livable (and for a better price) there than in EPA. The ocean/beach access is a big plus as well.

East Point, GA or Eastpointe, MI?

Old 05-02-2022, 09:43 AM

13,755 posts, read 8,058,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
East Point, GA or Eastpointe, MI?
Although East Point would be far from the top of my relocation list for Atlanta suburbs, I'd still reluctantly choose it over Eastpointe. Those Michigan winters are long. There has to be more to East Point than airplane noise and loud, thumping bass notes coming out of rattling trunks, right?

Auburn, Alabama or Bloomington, Indiana?

Old 05-02-2022, 12:09 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Although East Point would be far from the top of my relocation list for Atlanta suburbs, I'd still reluctantly choose it over Eastpointe. Those Michigan winters are long. There has to be more to East Point than airplane noise and loud, thumping bass notes coming out of rattling trunks, right?

Auburn, Alabama or Bloomington, Indiana?
Both would be ok but warmer winters would sway in favor of Auburn. Asheville NC or Knoxville TN?

Old 05-02-2022, 03:16 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,066,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Asheville NC or Knoxville TN?
I haven't visited Knoxville, so only have wikipedia and streetview info to go by...
but I think I'd choose Asheville. It's a higher elevation, so the summers would probably be milder.
The metro area is slightly under 500,000... and that's plenty (Knoxville is approaching a million).
And on a visit (albeit years ago), it seemed like quite a charming place.

Harrisburg PA or Albany NY?

Old 05-02-2022, 06:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,805,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I haven't visited Knoxville, so only have wikipedia and streetview info to go by...
but I think I'd choose Asheville. It's a higher elevation, so the summers would probably be milder.
The metro area is slightly under 500,000... and that's plenty (Knoxville is approaching a million).
And on a visit (albeit years ago), it seemed like quite a charming place.

Harrisburg PA or Albany NY?
I’m not crazy about either. I think they’re both sort of low-rent state capitals. But I’d choose Albany. At least it’s close enough to New York or Montreal for big city pleasures, and to the Berkshires and Lakes Placid and George for nice outdoors life. Harrisburg isn’t close to anything interesting as far as I know. But two other state capitals:

Columbus or Indianapolis?

Old 05-02-2022, 07:01 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I’m not crazy about either. I think they’re both sort of low-rent state capitals. But I’d choose Albany. At least it’s close enough to New York or Montreal for big city pleasures, and to the Berkshires and Lakes Placid and George for nice outdoors life. Harrisburg isn’t close to anything interesting as far as I know. But two other state capitals:

Columbus or Indianapolis?
Columbus. Cooler neighborhoods, better nightlife, more varied urbanity, livelier overall.

Regarding the distance from Harrisburg to "big-city pleasures": Albany is 150-some miles from New York and 221 miles from Montreal (it's also almost 170 miles from Boston). Harrisburg is only 100 miles from Philadelphia and 119 from Washington. And at 203 miles, Harrisburg is also closer to Pittsburgh than Albany is to Montreal. Now, maybe you don't consider any of those three cities interesting, but many do. (And if the 221 miles to Montreal is close enough, Harrisburg is 170 miles from New York City, not that much further away than Albany is.) As for the outdoors, the Poconos may not match the Berkshires for class, but there's also Pennsylvania's Northern Tier and Endless Mountains close to Harrisburg.

That said, I'd probably choose Albany over Harrisburg as well because I think the city is more attractive, though the Susquehanna riverfront in Harriaburg has a very nice park along it.

Sticking with state capitals close to outdoor pleasures:

Denver or Minneapolis?

Last edited by MarketStEl; 05-02-2022 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City