Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2022, 05:59 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Athens GA. Nice college town and near Atlanta.

Roanoke VA or Albany NY?
Probably Roanoke. More attractive area overall to me. Providence RI or Oakland CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 10:02 PM

899 posts, read 529,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Probably Roanoke. More attractive area overall to me. Providence RI or Oakland CA?
Providence is a lot safer, cheaper, and it has a lot less traffic. It's also not too far from Boston.

Knoxville, TN or Eugene, OR?

Old 04-19-2022, 12:23 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,098,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Providence is a lot safer, cheaper, and it has a lot less traffic. It's also not too far from Boston.

Knoxville, TN or Eugene, OR?
I really want to like Eugene but I've had a number of negative experiences there that I can't not associate it with. Mostly not related to the town itself --- just bad news I learned about, traveling through there during bad mental health periods, traveling with someone who I later had a falling-out with, arriving at the motel at 3 am and having to take off the heavy rooftop bag while moving up to Seattle. So I will have to take Knoxville, which I haven't been to since I was a very little kid and which seems like a cool place in an interesting, overlooked region.

Parkersburg, WV or Billings, MT?

Old 04-19-2022, 04:58 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I really want to like Eugene but I've had a number of negative experiences there that I can't not associate it with. Mostly not related to the town itself --- just bad news I learned about, traveling through there during bad mental health periods, traveling with someone who I later had a falling-out with, arriving at the motel at 3 am and having to take off the heavy rooftop bag while moving up to Seattle. So I will have to take Knoxville, which I haven't been to since I was a very little kid and which seems like a cool place in an interesting, overlooked region.

Parkersburg, WV or Billings, MT?
Parkersburg... Billings seems more attractive in many ways, but Parkersburg still seems pretty decent, and its relative proximity to other large cities is the deciding factor for me.

Eureka, NV or Jordan, MT?

Old 04-19-2022, 07:10 AM

13,812 posts, read 8,089,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Eureka, NV or Jordan, MT?
The average temperatures between these two are surprisingly similar, although Jordan does get quite a bit more snow. Both are way more isolated than I'd prefer, but I guess I'll go with Eureka just because it has nicer scenery and has the Old West thing going on. That's at least something, as both places are quite desolate.

Lynnwood, Washington or Lynn, Massachusetts?

Old 04-20-2022, 02:17 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,344,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The average temperatures between these two are surprisingly similar, although Jordan does get quite a bit more snow. Both are way more isolated than I'd prefer, but I guess I'll go with Eureka just because it has nicer scenery and has the Old West thing going on. That's at least something, as both places are quite desolate.

Lynnwood, Washington or Lynn, Massachusetts?
Tough but probably Lynwood WA. It seems like a better suburb in terms of offerings both with shopping and housing.

Carlisle PA or Turlock CA ?

Old 04-20-2022, 04:29 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Tough but probably Lynwood WA. It seems like a better suburb in terms of offerings both with shopping and housing.

Carlisle PA or Turlock CA ?
I guess Turlock. Bigger and near larger communities. Martinsville VA or Martinsville IN?

Old 04-20-2022, 05:59 PM

202 posts, read 253,558 times
Typically, I would prefer Virginia due to climate and scenery. But Indiana has one of the lowest costs of living. You get a lot more house for your money. Plus, I like Hoosiers. Nice folks, usually pretty easygoing. I just think I’d feel more at ease in the Indiana environment.

Des Moines, Iowa or Des Moines, Washington?

Old 04-20-2022, 06:55 PM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Typically, I would prefer Virginia due to climate and scenery. But Indiana has one of the lowest costs of living. You get a lot more house for your money. Plus, I like Hoosiers. Nice folks, usually pretty easygoing. I just think I’d feel more at ease in the Indiana environment.

Des Moines, Iowa or Des Moines, Washington?
There's a Des Moines in Washington?

The "mounds" are probably bigger in its vicinity, but nothing else about that city would outrank the one in Iowa, which is where I would choose to live.

Staying in this vein:

Leavenworth, Kan., or Leavenworth, Wash.?

Old 04-20-2022, 10:32 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,098,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
There's a Des Moines in Washington?

The "mounds" are probably bigger in its vicinity, but nothing else about that city would outrank the one in Iowa, which is where I would choose to live.

Staying in this vein:

Leavenworth, Kan., or Leavenworth, Wash.?
The KS one. I might even pick it if it were just its own town and not in the KC area --- the kitsch in Leavenworth, WA would get old after approximately three minutes. I'd have to carefully taste my water at home to make sure they weren't secretly piping in Pilsner.

The Des Moines here is a pretty standard, unremarkable Seattle suburb near SeaTac. Small downtown a couple blocks long, on a hillside by Puget Sound. No particular draw there, I find other south suburbs (Renton, Burien, White Center, Federal Way etc.) with more of a visible immigrant presence more interesting. I'd pick the IA one if I could just try it out for a few months, the WA one if this is a long-term thing.

Orange, VT or Orange, WI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City