Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 07:53 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,726,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'll go with Tupelo, as to me I like that location better. I really like that it's on both I-22(old US 78), and also the Natchez Trace Parkway. Jonesboro seems okay, but to me I don't think I'd care for its location as much. And as far as Mississippi cities go, Tupelo is one of the only bigger Mississippi cities I'd consider living in.

Morgantown, WV, or State College, PA?
Morgantown. It's more scenic (IMO) and I believe that it has the strongest economy in West Virginia. Yes, it's dominated by WVU. But my sense is that it's less of a domination than the comparable domination of State College by PSU. Moreover, I was absolutely appalled and disgusted when the residents of "Happy Valley" stuck up for the rapist pedophile simply because he was involved with the football program. Any town whose residents place more importance on football than on the safety of young children is a place that I do not want to live. (Granted, it's possible that the same thing would happen in Morgantown. But we don't KNOW that it would, whereas we do KNOW that it did in State College.)

Corpus Christi, TX or Pensacola, FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 08:50 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Morgantown. It's more scenic (IMO) and I believe that it has the strongest economy in West Virginia. Yes, it's dominated by WVU. But my sense is that it's less of a domination than the comparable domination of State College by PSU. Moreover, I was absolutely appalled and disgusted when the residents of "Happy Valley" stuck up for the rapist pedophile simply because he was involved with the football program. Any town whose residents place more importance on football than on the safety of young children is a place that I do not want to live. (Granted, it's possible that the same thing would happen in Morgantown. But we don't KNOW that it would, whereas we do KNOW that it did in State College.)

Corpus Christi, TX or Pensacola, FL?
Close call. Corpus Christie is a beautiful place with more culture than I was expecting. Pensacola is my choice due to location, things to do, and very fond memories of vacation's past...

Milwaukee, WI or Baltimore, MD?

Old 03-28-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Close call. Corpus Christie is a beautiful place with more culture than I was expecting. Pensacola is my choice due to location, things to do, and very fond memories of vacation's past...

Milwaukee, WI or Baltimore, MD?
As long as this game has been going, I haven't yet clarified in my mind if we're talking about city proper or metro area. If it's the latter, then I'll stay right here where I am, in the Baltimore metro area. If we're talking city proper, I'm not sure. The waterfront area of Milwaukee looks nice, and it might be good to have a change of scenery. But for all its horrible reputation, there are some parts of Baltimore proper that are nice places to be. So I'd probably lean toward staying here, albeit giving up my suburban home for a city one.

Midland, TX or Williston, ND?

Old 03-28-2022, 10:43 PM

6,431 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
As long as this game has been going, I haven't yet clarified in my mind if we're talking about city proper or metro area. If it's the latter, then I'll stay right here where I am, in the Baltimore metro area. If we're talking city proper, I'm not sure. The waterfront area of Milwaukee looks nice, and it might be good to have a change of scenery. But for all its horrible reputation, there are some parts of Baltimore proper that are nice places to be. So I'd probably lean toward staying here, albeit giving up my suburban home for a city one.

Midland, TX or Williston, ND?
Yeah I've always assumed it meant city proper, since people have sometimes put a suburb and we have the county game going. But I don't think anyone's clarified it

Anyway, Williston just because I think it'd be interesting to live in one of those oil-boom towns that's now collapsing, with tons of new ghost houses built with no one living in them. Just a gradual decline of activity and people around that you might even notice from one week to the next.

This one'll at least be referring clearly to cities proper: Peoria, IL or Peoria Heights, IL?

Old 03-29-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Yeah I've always assumed it meant city proper, since people have sometimes put a suburb and we have the county game going. But I don't think anyone's clarified it

Anyway, Williston just because I think it'd be interesting to live in one of those oil-boom towns that's now collapsing, with tons of new ghost houses built with no one living in them. Just a gradual decline of activity and people around that you might even notice from one week to the next.

This one'll at least be referring clearly to cities proper: Peoria, IL or Peoria Heights, IL?
Peoria has always been a byword for "middle America." The whole "will it play in Peoria?" thing. I passed through about 10 years ago, and I was surprised that the city felt a bit more run-down than I was expecting. It seemed to be teetering on the brink between "classic but weathered" and "used to be nice but is declining." Not sure where it stands now. But in any case, Peoria Heights actually seems to me to be more like what I was expecting Peoria itself to be. So I'll pick the heights.

Sheridan, WY or Fort Stockton, TX?

Old 03-29-2022, 10:25 AM

1,098 posts, read 909,078 times
Quote:
Peoria has always been a byword for "middle America." The whole "will it play in Peoria?" thing. I passed through about 10 years ago, and I was surprised that the city felt a bit more run-down than I was expecting. It seemed to be teetering on the brink between "classic but weathered" and "used to be nice but is declining." Not sure where it stands now. But in any case, Peoria Heights actually seems to me to be more like what I was expecting Peoria itself to be. So I'll pick the heights.

Sheridan, WY or Fort Stockton, TX?
Fort Stockton, TX. I kind of like west Texas in a weird way and I definitely love the Big Bend region. Sheridan’s proximity to the Big Horn Mountains made me 2nd guess myself but Ft Stockton does seem to have nearby outdoor opportunities in the Fort Davis area that are closer than Big Bend. Fort Stockton has a much shorter winter as well and (probably) much better food due to the high Hispanic population

Sioux City, Iowa vs Jacksonville, NC

Last edited by Jame22; 03-29-2022 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-29-2022, 01:27 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Fort Stockton, TX. I kind of like west Texas in a weird way and I definitely love the Big Bend region. Sheridan’s proximity to the Big Horn Mountains made me 2nd guess myself but Ft Stockton does seem to have nearby outdoor opportunities in the Fort Davis area that are closer than Big Bend. Fort Stockton has a much shorter winter as well and (probably) much better food due to the high Hispanic population

Sioux City, Iowa vs Jacksonville, NC
Siuox City, IA. Jacksonville was methed out the last time I was there. Sioux City seems to have more cultural attractions as well.

Tallahassee, FL or Kalamazoo, MI?

Old 03-29-2022, 09:03 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Siuox City, IA. Jacksonville was methed out the last time I was there. Sioux City seems to have more cultural attractions as well.

Tallahassee, FL or Kalamazoo, MI?
Tallahassee. I like that part of the state and the weather is more to my liking. Gurnee, IL or Valencia CA?

Old 03-29-2022, 11:11 PM

899 posts, read 528,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Tallahassee. I like that part of the state and the weather is more to my liking. Gurnee, IL or Valencia CA?
Both are good, but Gurnee seems to have way lower costs for an otherwise similar quality of life.

Passaic, NJ or Hamtramck, MI?

Old 03-30-2022, 09:54 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,333,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Both are good, but Gurnee seems to have way lower costs for an otherwise similar quality of life.

Passaic, NJ or Hamtramck, MI?
Passaic NJ due to proximity to NYC

Leesburg VA or Napa CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City