Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 07:00 AM

13,841 posts, read 8,122,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
West Chester, Chester County, Pa., or White Plains, Westchester County, N.Y.? (Both are the county seats of their respective counties.)
West Chester. I'd rather be in metro Philly; and I don't think I'd mesh well with the "Westchester crowd".

Casa Grande, Arizona or Villa Rica, Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 01:19 PM

16,602 posts, read 10,767,134 times
Quote:
West Chester, Chester County, Pa., or White Plains, Westchester County, N.Y.? (Both are the county seats of their respective counties.)
East West Chester North Stars, South Division champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
West Chester. I'd rather be in metro Philly; and I don't think I'd mesh well with the "Westchester crowd".

Casa Grande, Arizona or Villa Rica, Georgia?
Never laid eyes on Villa Rica, but I'm going to pick it because Casa Grande is just too hot, dusty, dry, and isolated (despite being on a major interstate highway between two big cities) for my tastes.

Now, for those who like snow . . . Flagstaff, AZ or Watertown, NY?

Old 03-08-2022, 01:35 PM

14,360 posts, read 9,255,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
East West Chester North Stars, South Division champions!

Never laid eyes on Villa Rica, but I'm going to pick it because Casa Grande is just too hot, dusty, dry, and isolated (despite being on a major interstate highway between two big cities) for my tastes.

Now, for those who like snow . . . Flagstaff, AZ or Watertown, NY?
Watertown's near the Thousand Islands, but Flagstaff has mountains, forests and canyons all around it, including inside the city limits. Flagstaff it is.

Watertown, N.Y., or Watertown, Mass.? (I used to refer to the latter jokingly as "Watertownian." Bonus points to anyone who can figure out what I was referring to.)

Old 03-08-2022, 01:39 PM

13,841 posts, read 8,122,147 times
Quote:
Watertown, N.Y., or Watertown, Mass.?
I'll take the one in Massachusetts. I'm normally not one for big cities, but I don't like snow and I don't care for military towns. Watertown, MA seems leafy and quiet.

Quote:
(I used to refer to the latter jokingly as "Watertownian." Bonus points to anyone who can figure out what I was referring to.)
I just looked up Watertown, MA on Google maps, and the first thing I see is the Armenian Museum of America. It must have a large Armenian population, or at least did historically. It's very common for Armenian surnames to end with "ian", so you were making the town an Armenian surname

Old 03-08-2022, 02:41 PM

14,360 posts, read 9,255,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'll take the one in Massachusetts. I'm normally not one for big cities, but I don't like snow and I don't care for military towns. Watertown, MA seems leafy and quiet.

I just looked up Watertown, MA on Google maps, and the first thing I see is the Armenian Museum of America. It must have a large Armenian population, or at least did historically. It's very common for Armenian surnames to end with "ian", so you were making the town an Armenian surname
Ding-ding-ding!

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I lived over a store in Watertown Square in 1980-81, I was informed that the city had the highest concentration of Armenian-Americans in the country. There was a Catholic church along the Route 73 bus line connecting Harvard and Watertown squares that had a monument to the Armenian genocide in its front yard. It was also there that I got turned on to lahmajun, a delicious Armenian delicacy akin to flatbread pizza.

But since we need two more cities, time to provide them:

Reading, Pa., or Redding, Calif.?

Old 03-08-2022, 10:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 1,709,949 times
Quote:
Ding-ding-ding!

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I lived over a store in Watertown Square in 1980-81, I was informed that the city had the highest concentration of Armenian-Americans in the country. There was a Catholic church along the Route 73 bus line connecting Harvard and Watertown squares that had a monument to the Armenian genocide in its front yard. It was also there that I got turned on to lahmajun, a delicious Armenian delicacy akin to flatbread pizza.

But since we need two more cities, time to provide them:

Reading, Pa., or Redding, Calif.?
Ugh, neither of them honestly. Both tiny areas in rural surroundings with not much there. Probably go with Redding CA just because it's closer to the beach I guess.

Augusta GA or Augusta ME?

Old 03-09-2022, 12:02 AM

6,445 posts, read 5,114,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Ugh, neither of them honestly. Both tiny areas in rural surroundings with not much there. Probably go with Redding CA just because it's closer to the beach I guess.

Augusta GA or Augusta ME?
The Georgia one, it's a lot bigger than the Maine one and I'm guessing the economy is more vibrant. I think I streetviewed there once and it felt bigger than I was expecting (i.e. closer to its actual population) for a Sunbelt city.

BTW, while Redding may only be a few hours from the ocean, the Pacific coast that far north in CA is cold. The highest temperature Eureka has EVER recorded is 87 degrees. Reading would have better access to swimmable water (albeit with much more traffic to get there).

Minden, NV or Minden, IA?

Old 03-09-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
The Georgia one, it's a lot bigger than the Maine one and I'm guessing the economy is more vibrant. I think I streetviewed there once and it felt bigger than I was expecting (i.e. closer to its actual population) for a Sunbelt city.

BTW, while Redding may only be a few hours from the ocean, the Pacific coast that far north in CA is cold. The highest temperature Eureka has EVER recorded is 87 degrees. Reading would have better access to swimmable water (albeit with much more traffic to get there).

Minden, NV or Minden, IA?
Probably Minden IA, mainly because the terrain is a little more flat.

Milford, CT or Milford, MA?

Old 03-09-2022, 10:24 AM

3,509 posts, read 3,437,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Probably Minden IA, mainly because the terrain is a little more flat.

Milford, CT or Milford, MA?
The one in Connecticut, since I like how close that one is to New Haven. I don't think I'd be a big fan of living in the one in Massachusetts, since its location looks more isolated than I'd prefer. Plus IIRC, Metro North commuter rail has a station in Milford, so that I could travel to NYC besides to New Haven, if I wanted to.

Smaller tier WV cities that don't ever seem to get a lot of discussion, when it comes to such smaller WV cities: Huntington, WV, or Beckley, WV?

Old 03-09-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
The one in Connecticut, since I like how close that one is to New Haven. I don't think I'd be a big fan of living in the one in Massachusetts, since its location looks more isolated than I'd prefer. Plus IIRC, Metro North commuter rail has a station in Milford, so that I could travel to NYC besides to New Haven, if I wanted to.

Smaller tier WV cities that don't ever seem to get a lot of discussion, when it comes to such smaller WV cities: Huntington, WV, or Beckley, WV?
I gotta agree with you on Milford CT. I have been to both places CT and MA many times and know both Milford's very well actually. Milford MA is nice, but its not nearly as special and definitely kind of hard to get places without a car.

Huntington WV. I have been through there and it's actually a beautiful small city with some great nature and nice looking buildings.

Charleston WV or Charleston SC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City