Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 04:10 PM

6,431 posts, read 5,079,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Can I pick neither? Just kidding. Between these 2, I'd probably pick Grand Forks. Since at least it isn't far from Fargo, Bemidji, and it also is a short drive north to Winnipeg across the border. Plus it's along an Amtrak long distance train route(Chicago to Seattle, or Portland via a branch southwest of Spokane), the Empire Builder. And at least it wouldn't be as far to get to the Twin Cities in Minnesota, or Sioux Falls(SD).

Billings, MT, or Rapid City, SD?
That general region would be about my last choice in the lower 48 states for long-term relocation, but I guess I'll pick Rapid City just because that cluster of towns (Rapid, Deadwood, Sturgis, Spearfish) is pretty touristy so I'm guessing they have a bit more going on than Billings --- restaurants, events, festivals and such.

Memphis or Tucson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 04:32 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
That general region would be about my last choice in the lower 48 states for long-term relocation, but I guess I'll pick Rapid City just because that cluster of towns (Rapid, Deadwood, Sturgis, Spearfish) is pretty touristy so I'm guessing they have a bit more going on than Billings --- restaurants, events, festivals and such.

Memphis or Tucson?
Tucson. It is cleaner, safer, and growing.

St. Joseph, MO or Allentown, PA?

Old 03-03-2022, 05:52 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

From what I've looked up on Allentown so far,it has more crime than I'd prefer. I honestly wouldn't mind living in one of the nearby towns/suburbs, such as Bethlehem myself. The crime issues of Allentown make me not want to pick that place, sadly. If I could pick almost any PA community in this same metro outside of the city of Allentown, then I'd go with that metro area over St. Joseph.

I'm guessing the OP's intention with this thread is to only consider living within the primary cities/towns, of the 2 mentioned in a post. Where in that case, I'll go with Saint Joseph. It isn't that far to Kansas City, and ditto with Omaha and Des Moines either. And there are some interesting hidden gem towns, not too far away(i.e. Atchison, KS, Maryville, MO, Weston, MO, etc). And a lower cost of living in St. Joseph, doesn't hurt.

I'll pick a battle in the mid-Atlantic, east of I-95. And in communities that rarely come up, in this thread: Dover, DE, or Vineland, NJ?

Old 03-03-2022, 06:13 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Allentown. Much larger metropolitan area and I'd imagine more opportunities. Montgomery AL or Corpus Christi TX?

Old 03-03-2022, 07:28 PM

433 posts, read 311,538 times
Quote:
From what I've looked up on Allentown so far,it has more crime than I'd prefer. I honestly wouldn't mind living in one of the nearby towns/suburbs, such as Bethlehem myself. The crime issues of Allentown make me not want to pick that place, sadly. If I could pick almost any PA community in this same metro outside of the city of Allentown, then I'd go with that metro area over St. Joseph.

I'm guessing the OP's intention with this thread is to only consider living within the primary cities/towns, of the 2 mentioned in a post. Where in that case, I'll go with Saint Joseph. It isn't that far to Kansas City, and ditto with Omaha and Des Moines either. And there are some interesting hidden gem towns, not too far away(i.e. Atchison, KS, Maryville, MO, Weston, MO, etc). And a lower cost of living in St. Joseph, doesn't hurt.

I'll pick a battle in the mid-Atlantic, east of I-95. And in communities that rarely come up, in this thread: Dover, DE, or Vineland, NJ?
Dover, DE. No high taxes to pay unlike NJ, has a NASCAR track, underrated HBCU, and one of the most underrated state capitols, Vineland while not as run down as Camden or Salem it is rather boring

And Corpus Christi definitely, has good beaches, good connections to the RGV/San Antonio, and it has a underrated Aquarium to visit
Now into the cheapest cities to live in America Harlingen, TX or Kalamazoo, MI?

Old 03-03-2022, 08:07 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Dover, DE. No high taxes to pay unlike NJ, has a NASCAR track, underrated HBCU, and one of the most underrated state capitols, Vineland while not as run down as Camden or Salem it is rather boring

And Corpus Christi definitely, has good beaches, good connections to the RGV/San Antonio, and it has a underrated Aquarium to visit
Now into the cheapest cities to live in America Harlingen, TX or Kalamazoo, MI?
Kalamazoo... it's an underrated city that is surprisingly vibrant. The Rio Grande Valley isn't for me.

New Castle, PA or New Castle, DE?

Old 03-04-2022, 03:12 AM

682 posts, read 431,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Kalamazoo... it's an underrated city that is surprisingly vibrant. The Rio Grande Valley isn't for me.

New Castle, PA or New Castle, DE?
New Castle, Pennsylvania. It's in close proximity to several big cities (Pittsburgh, Youngstown and Cleveland).

Marshalltown, Iowa or Ottumwa, Iowa?

Old 03-04-2022, 11:12 AM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
New Castle, Pennsylvania. It's in close proximity to several big cities (Pittsburgh, Youngstown and Cleveland).

Marshalltown, Iowa or Ottumwa, Iowa?
This is actually an interesting comparison. Looking at both places, and knowing Ottumwa isn't too far from Fairfield, IA(home to Maharishi University of Management, more about that in this article: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rent/83973154/) allowing for Indian restaurants to be a short drive away, is kinda intriguing to me. Also the fact that it is along an Amtrak route(California Zephyr), makes Ottumwa more attractive IMO. I know Ottumwa has lost more population than Marshalltown, but it isn't like Marshalltown is growing very fast either. Both places are feedlot/meatpacking towns, so you probably aren't going to escape such smells in either town. Since Ottumwa has Amtrak service, unlike Marshalltown. Another tiny thing in Ottumwa's favor, is that at least there is one video game arcade in this town.

New England port cities, that are slightly inland from the Atlantic coast: New London, CT, or Portsmouth, NH?

Old 03-04-2022, 08:22 PM

14,316 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
This is actually an interesting comparison. Looking at both places, and knowing Ottumwa isn't too far from Fairfield, IA(home to Maharishi University of Management, more about that in this article: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rent/83973154/) allowing for Indian restaurants to be a short drive away, is kinda intriguing to me. Also the fact that it is along an Amtrak route(California Zephyr), makes Ottumwa more attractive IMO. I know Ottumwa has lost more population than Marshalltown, but it isn't like Marshalltown is growing very fast either. Both places are feedlot/meatpacking towns, so you probably aren't going to escape such smells in either town. Since Ottumwa has Amtrak service, unlike Marshalltown. Another tiny thing in Ottumwa's favor, is that at least there is one video game arcade in this town.

New England port cities, that are slightly inland from the Atlantic coast: New London, CT, or Portsmouth, NH?
New London is where they build the Navy's submarines — at a company called, curiously enough, Electric Boat — but IMO Portsmouth has more of that good old New England charm.

BTW and FWIW, I don't think that there's a single East Coast port that's right on the Atlantic. Either barrier islands (Miami Beach, which separates Biscayne Bay from the ocean) protect the port, or the ports themselves are located on bays, rivers or estuaries that lead to the ocean.

But now that we're talking about the ocean: Nantucket or Cape May?

Old 03-04-2022, 08:37 PM

899 posts, read 528,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
New London is where they build the Navy's submarines — at a company called, curiously enough, Electric Boat — but IMO Portsmouth has more of that good old New England charm.

BTW and FWIW, I don't think that there's a single East Coast port that's right on the Atlantic. Either barrier islands (Miami Beach, which separates Biscayne Bay from the ocean) protect the port, or the ports themselves are located on bays, rivers or estuaries that lead to the ocean.

But now that we're talking about the ocean: Nantucket or Cape May?
Cape May because you don't need a ferry to get back to the mainland, but it's still separated by a canal.

Dover, DE or Scranton, PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City