Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2023, 10:16 AM

468 posts, read 359,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Oh that's a tough one as I like both places a lot. I think I would go with Asheville. I prefer the area the greenery, and the mountains. Would love to visit Santa Fe regularly though.

Detroit MI or Memphis TN?
I'll definitely take Detroit on this one. I'd live in one of the central neighborhoods that are rapidly recovering. Not to mention the amenities of a 5+ million metro compared to a much smaller Memphis.

Grand Rapids or Birmingham AL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 03:16 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
I'll definitely take Detroit on this one. I'd live in one of the central neighborhoods that are rapidly recovering. Not to mention the amenities of a 5+ million metro compared to a much smaller Memphis.

Grand Rapids... Wouldn't be a fan of the winters but Grand Rapids seems like a much more thriving city on the whole... Culturally, the midwest is a better fit for me than the deep south as well.

Waco, TX or Tallahassee, FL?

Old 05-20-2023, 03:17 PM

6,431 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post

As much as Bham has improved I've gotta go with GR. Just seems like a denser, more urban metro with more solid residential neighborhoods --- there are places in the city limits of Bham that are completely 100% unwalkable, nowhere in GR like that really. I prefer MI's political climate as well, which does affect things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Grand Rapids... Wouldn't be a fan of the winters but Grand Rapids seems like a much more thriving city on the whole... Culturally, the midwest is a better fit for me than the deep south as well.

Waco, TX or Tallahassee, FL?
Streetviewing now, Waco looks surprisingly dense and Tallahassee really doesn't. Not just verticality, Waco has a pretty consistent patchwork of businesses throughout its downtown. I'm impressed.

Urbana, IL or Champaign, IL?

Old 05-20-2023, 03:49 PM

94,008 posts, read 124,842,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
As much as Bham has improved I've gotta go with GR. Just seems like a denser, more urban metro with more solid residential neighborhoods --- there are places in the city limits of Bham that are completely 100% unwalkable, nowhere in GR like that really. I prefer MI's political climate as well, which does affect things.

Streetviewing now, Waco looks surprisingly dense and Tallahassee really doesn't. Not just verticality, Waco has a pretty consistent patchwork of businesses throughout its downtown. I'm impressed.

Urbana, IL or Champaign, IL?
I'll go with Champaign which is a bigger city, with most of the amenities in that area.

State College PA or Ithaca NY?

Old 05-20-2023, 04:54 PM

10,769 posts, read 23,905,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll go with Champaign which is a bigger city, with most of the amenities in that area.

State College PA or Ithaca NY?
Ithaca, I'd be happy hiking with my dogs around those waterfalls and gorges every weekend paired with having decent college town amenities and nearby lakes.

Stonington, CT or Tiverton, RI?

Old 05-20-2023, 06:39 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Ithaca, I'd be happy hiking with my dogs around those waterfalls and gorges every weekend paired with having decent college town amenities and nearby lakes.

Stonington, CT or Tiverton, RI?
I guess Tiverton. I've heard good things about RI. Durant OK or Hillsboro TX?

Old 05-22-2023, 07:09 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I guess Tiverton. I've heard good things about RI. Durant OK or Hillsboro TX?
Hillsboro... It's a commutable distance to Waco and a little bit closer to the Metroplex than Durant... I like that Durant is a little bigger with a small university in town but Hillsboro's location is the deciding factor for me.

Morristown, NJ or Mineola, NY?

Old 05-22-2023, 10:27 AM

141 posts, read 72,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Hillsboro... It's a commutable distance to Waco and a little bit closer to the Metroplex than Durant... I like that Durant is a little bigger with a small university in town but Hillsboro's location is the deciding factor for me.

Morristown, NJ or Mineola, NY?
Mineola. I like easier access to Long Island and the fact that it practically borders the city, too.

Providence, RI or Portland, ME?

Old 05-22-2023, 08:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
Mineola. I like easier access to Long Island and the fact that it practically borders the city, too.

Providence, RI or Portland, ME?
Portland, Me., ranks with Lancaster, Pa., as the coolest small city in the Northeast, if not the entire East Coast.

It sits right on Casco Bay, while Providence sits just a little ways upriver from Narragansett Bay. But Providence has so much more going on, and it's close enough to the bay. Its topography also rocks, as do Olneyville "New York System" hot dogs. So Providence takes this matchup.

So now that I've mentioned both:

Portland, Me., or Lancaster, Pa.?

Old 05-23-2023, 09:12 AM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Portland, Me., ranks with Lancaster, Pa., as the coolest small city in the Northeast, if not the entire East Coast.

It sits right on Casco Bay, while Providence sits just a little ways upriver from Narragansett Bay. But Providence has so much more going on, and it's close enough to the bay. Its topography also rocks, as do Olneyville "New York System" hot dogs. So Providence takes this matchup.

So now that I've mentioned both:

Portland, Me., or Lancaster, Pa.?
I'll go with Portland. It has lower crime than Lancaster(per looking up both city/town profiles on city data)

Westerly, RI, or New Bedford, MA?

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2023 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City