Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 12:39 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Kansas City. Jacksonville is nice but not as developed. Kansas City has a thriving downtown and more things to do.

Newport, RI or Mobile, AL?
Mobile oozes charm, though it's not quite on the level of Savannah or Charleston. But I would still prefer the mix of New England intimacy and Gilded Age opulence you find in Newport.

Louisville or St. Louis? (They're not named for the same French king.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 07:30 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Mobile oozes charm, though it's not quite on the level of Savannah or Charleston. But I would still prefer the mix of New England intimacy and Gilded Age opulence you find in Newport.

Louisville or St. Louis? (They're not named for the same French king.)
Louisville appears to be more liveable. I also like that the downtown is more vibrant. The attractions are more my speed as well. I love antiques and their riverfront is better. I have a few friends that moved to Louisville and they love it.

Johnson City, TN or Appleton, WI?

Old 05-07-2022, 07:13 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,978,805 times
Appleton. I prefer the Lake Winnebago setting, and even though winters are on the long side, I prefer WI's more progressive environment and proximity to Door County, Green Bay, and is just over 90 minutes from Milwaukee, about three from Chicago and about four from the MN Twin Cities. Even though Johnson City is doing well for what it is, it seems to be the poor man's version of a Chattanooga or Asheville, and is a bit overpriced for what it offers. Johnson City is a similar distance from Charlotte and Nashville, but those cities aren't nearly my style for providing a "big city" fix.

Charleston, MO or Savannah, TN?

Old 05-07-2022, 03:37 PM

104 posts, read 47,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Appleton. I prefer the Lake Winnebago setting, and even though winters are on the long side, I prefer WI's more progressive environment and proximity to Door County, Green Bay, and is just over 90 minutes from Milwaukee, about three from Chicago and about four from the MN Twin Cities. Even though Johnson City is doing well for what it is, it seems to be the poor man's version of a Chattanooga or Asheville, and is a bit overpriced for what it offers. Johnson City is a similar distance from Charlotte and Nashville, but those cities aren't nearly my style for providing a "big city" fix.

Charleston, MO or Savannah, TN?

Never heard of either, but I'm gonna go with Savannah because I don't want the 4th sentence of my wikipedia page to be that it's home to a local correctional facility. Not kidding.

Charleston is a city in Mississippi County, Missouri, United States. The population was 5,056 at the 2020 census. It is the county seat of Mississippi County. It is a home to a local correctional facility.

Wall, SD or Dorr, MI?

Old 05-07-2022, 05:51 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,427,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
Never heard of either, but I'm gonna go with Savannah because I don't want the 4th sentence of my wikipedia page to be that it's home to a local correctional facility. Not kidding.

Charleston is a city in Mississippi County, Missouri, United States. The population was 5,056 at the 2020 census. It is the county seat of Mississippi County. It is a home to a local correctional facility.

Wall, SD or Dorr, MI?
I suppose Dorr, as it isn't too far from Grand Rapids. And while I didn't answer the previous comparison(due to being busy at work), some quick street viewing of both places was making me lean toward Savannah. Also, not sure if I'd want to live somewhere that had a correctional facility/prison, as was the case with Charleston.

Montana 'high Line' towns, on US Hwy 2 and along the Empire Builder train route: Havre, MT, or Shelby, MT?

Old 05-08-2022, 10:44 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I suppose Dorr, as it isn't too far from Grand Rapids. And while I didn't answer the previous comparison(due to being busy at work), some quick street viewing of both places was making me lean toward Savannah. Also, not sure if I'd want to live somewhere that had a correctional facility/prison, as was the case with Charleston.

Montana 'high Line' towns, on US Hwy 2 and along the Empire Builder train route: Havre, MT, or Shelby, MT?
Havre... it's larger (10k vs 3k pop) and has more amenities in town.

Pecos, TX or Uvalde, TX?

Old 05-08-2022, 04:31 PM

104 posts, read 47,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Havre... it's larger (10k vs 3k pop) and has more amenities in town.

Pecos, TX or Uvalde, TX?
Uvalde, because of proximity to San Antonio. Both are awful options IMHO, wouldn't wanna live in the desert.

Seiling, OK or Floris, IA?

Old 05-09-2022, 07:41 AM

13,810 posts, read 8,089,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
Seiling, OK or Floris, IA?
I wouldn't willingly choose either, but Floris seems like the better option of the two. Although Seiling is a much more substantial town with at least some amenities, it's right in the heart of tornado alley and the treeless grasslands of western Oklahoma. That is not my type of topography. Floris is less than 20 minutes from Ottumwa, which is not bad at all. The countryside is much prettier in Iowa.

Leland, Mississippi or Kermit, Texas?

Old 05-09-2022, 07:22 PM

899 posts, read 529,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I wouldn't willingly choose either, but Floris seems like the better option of the two. Although Seiling is a much more substantial town with at least some amenities, it's right in the heart of tornado alley and the treeless grasslands of western Oklahoma. That is not my type of topography. Floris is less than 20 minutes from Ottumwa, which is not bad at all. The countryside is much prettier in Iowa.

Leland, Mississippi or Kermit, Texas?
Kermit is a bit cheaper, and it's not too far from Odessa and Midland.

County seats of the two least religious counties according to PRRI ("Religiously Unaffiliated" map is towards the bottom)

Friday Harbor, WA or Portland, OR?

Old 05-09-2022, 08:01 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Kermit is a bit cheaper, and it's not too far from Odessa and Midland.

County seats of the two least religious counties according to PRRI ("Religiously Unaffiliated" map is towards the bottom)

Friday Harbor, WA or Portland, OR?
Portland. Much, much bigger and offers more. Ft. Lauderdale FL or Oceanside CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City