Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2022, 04:55 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,915,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Elko. I've been to both towns and Elko feels a lot bigger, even if the actual city population is only about 2x Winnemucca's. It has a much bigger downtown, the semblance of distinct neighborhoods, more suburban development on the outskirts, and a 4-year college (Great Basin College), the only one in Nevada outside the Reno or Las Vegas areas.

More to the point, though, I know if I lived in Winnemucca I'd be tempted to just go to Reno every weekend since it's only 2 hours away, especially because I've lived there so I know people in the area. That's no way to live, so I'd rather be in the town that's more thoroughly isolated.

Bismarck, ND or Galena, IL?
Galena... I usually prefer cities to small towns, but Bismarck is too isolated for my liking. Galena has a lot more going on within a few hours of it. Galena also seems pretty nice and charming given its size and it's just 20 minutes from Dubuque.

Pueblo, CO or Yakima, WA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 07:31 AM

13,841 posts, read 8,126,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Pueblo, CO or Yakima, WA?
These two cities and regions are more similar in many different ways than I would have guessed. I think I'd pick Pueblo because I'm more interested in the outdoor recreational opportunities of Colorado and New Mexico more so than Washington.

Taylor, Michigan or Taylorsville, Utah?

Old 05-26-2022, 11:01 AM

3,200 posts, read 2,251,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Taylor, Michigan or Taylorsville, Utah?
These cities are both relatively working class, inner ring suburbs with increasingly diverse populations.

My concern with Taylor is that it's on a less favored side of the Detroit metro area, near the airport and many industrial plants. Property values are rather low and likely to stay that way, with the old housing stock and lack of higher end amenities (retail, quality public schools, etc.) Unlike numerous other Detroit suburbs, Taylor has no charming historic core so it doesn't have much to draw people beyond the basics.

The Salt Lake City metro does not have much in the way of disinvestment, even in the rather blue collar western suburbs such as Taylorsville. Air quality and water availability is definitely more of a concern than in Michigan, but the area has a healthy economy and outstanding outdoor recreation assets. The Salt Lake City suburbs flow pretty much seamlessly together so the amenities in surrounding areas are easily accessible in Taylorsville.

Glendale, AZ or Pasadena, TX?

Old 05-26-2022, 01:13 PM

9,736 posts, read 9,517,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
These cities are both relatively working class, inner ring suburbs with increasingly diverse populations.

My concern with Taylor is that it's on a less favored side of the Detroit metro area, near the airport and many industrial plants. Property values are rather low and likely to stay that way, with the old housing stock and lack of higher end amenities (retail, quality public schools, etc.) Unlike numerous other Detroit suburbs, Taylor has no charming historic core so it doesn't have much to draw people beyond the basics.

The Salt Lake City metro does not have much in the way of disinvestment, even in the rather blue collar western suburbs such as Taylorsville. Air quality and water availability is definitely more of a concern than in Michigan, but the area has a healthy economy and outstanding outdoor recreation assets. The Salt Lake City suburbs flow pretty much seamlessly together so the amenities in surrounding areas are easily accessible in Taylorsville.

Glendale, AZ or Pasadena, TX?
Glendale, AZ because it is a nicer area with more things to do. I would rather live near Phoenix than Houston.

Ames, IA or Spartanburg, SC?

Old 05-26-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Ames, IA or Spartanburg, SC?
Spartanburg. Ain't nothin finer than South Carolina.

New Madrid, Missouri or New Iberia, Louisiana?

Old 05-26-2022, 01:34 PM

14,360 posts, read 9,259,037 times
Quote:
Spartanburg. Ain't nothin finer than South Carolina.

New Madrid, Missouri or New Iberia, Louisiana?
New Iberia. Home of the McIlhennys (Tabasco brand hot sauces) and not as forlorn as the Missouri Bootheel.

Paris, Mo., or Paris, Texas?

Old 05-26-2022, 03:48 PM

436 posts, read 314,505 times
The one in Missouri, less humid summers
2 underrated places in the smallest states
Bristol, RI, or Lewes DE?

Old 05-26-2022, 06:40 PM

16,602 posts, read 10,767,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
The one in Missouri, less humid summers
2 underrated places in the smallest states
Bristol, RI, or Lewes DE?
I know nothing about Bristol, but Lewes is a charming coastal town with a ferry across the Delaware Bay to Cape May, NJ that's a lot of fun to ride. And the lack of state sales tax in Delaware is a plus as well.

Kingsport, TN or Queenstown, MD?

Old 05-27-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Kingsport. I like its location in the mountains, and I'm more familiar with the region. Queenstown does look quite charming though.

Jacksonville Beach, Florida or Coronado, California?

Old 05-27-2022, 07:20 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,915,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I know nothing about Bristol, but Lewes is a charming coastal town with a ferry across the Delaware Bay to Cape May, NJ that's a lot of fun to ride. And the lack of state sales tax in Delaware is a plus as well.

Queenstown... even though it's a very small town, I'd rather live on the eastern shore of Maryland just an hour from DC and Baltimore than live in TN's Tri-Cities.

Quote:
Kingsport. I like its location in the mountains, and I'm more familiar with the region. Queenstown does look quite charming though.

Jacksonville Beach, Florida or Coronado, California?
Coronado... visited as a teenager with my family and loved it. Beautiful place. Much prefer the San Diego area to Jacksonville too.

Raytown, MO or Baytown, TX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City