Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 07:53 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,915,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Cincinnati. It's one of my favorite cities and it has so much more personality than Columbus.

Another in-state comparison:

Palatka, Florida or Crestview, Florida?
Palatka... Crestview seems like the nicer town but I wouldn't want to live that deep into the Panhandle. Palatka has Gainesville and Jacksonville within an hour of it and is only a half hour from the coast as well.

Spartanburg, SC or North Charleston, SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 08:14 PM

357 posts, read 162,693 times
Upstate for me. Closer to the mountains to escape the humidity when it gets too hot. I don’t know if the paper mills in N Charleston are still there or not but I couldn’t live near where that smell was even if the mills are long gone.

Olympia Wa or Bellingham Wa?

Old 06-10-2022, 03:09 AM

6,445 posts, read 5,114,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
Upstate for me. Closer to the mountains to escape the humidity when it gets too hot. I don’t know if the paper mills in N Charleston are still there or not but I couldn’t live near where that smell was even if the mills are long gone.

Tough one. I guess Bellingham maybe? Olympia's downtown has a lot of great music venues, bars, etc. and a cool vibe with an interesting history, but honestly the huge homeless population has led to indirect negative effects. A lot of stuff has super narrow hours or won't let you use the bathroom because they're afraid you're gonna shoot up in there. You can't sit in any of the cafes.

The area also has slight redneck, blue-collar, kind of conservative undertones, especially when you get into like west Olympia or Tumwater or the areas east/north of Lacey. Not like the Trump sign sea of Grays Harbor County, let alone eastern WA, but still not really my people. Bellingham isn't like that IME, even in the farthest-out developed areas. Much more retired hippies, hiking enthusiasts, people with a million national park bumper stickers, etc. It is more of a true college town --- Evergreen is technically in the Olympia city limits, but it seems to have little cultural exchange with the rest of the city.

These aren't big factors for me, but worth noting: as far as natural scenery goes, Bellingham is right up against the North Cascades, while the areas around Olympia are mostly just flat forest (though you still get some nice views of the Olympics). Also, Olympia seems to have worse traffic than Bellingham despite only having half its population, probably because it's part of the Seattle conurbation (more commuting in both directions) and has a lot more sprawl around it (less walkable/bikeable).

I have no creativity so I'll adapt that pairing: Salem, OR or Springfield, OR?

Old 06-10-2022, 05:14 AM

Tough one as I’m a college town and state capital fan. I probably have an impractical idealized notion of what it’s like living in a college town which I’m sure can be annoying at times. Springfield seems like a quieter and lower COL alternative to living in Eugene. I just don’t like how it seems cut off from Eugene by the interstate. I was just streetviewing my way through Salem on the google maps thread just the other day and it seems like a nice smaller city with good walkability.

I’m going to Salem which is also closer to Portland. I can drive down to Corvallis and Eugene periodically to satisfy my college town fix.

Squirrel Hill neighborhood Pittsburgh or University City, Philadelphia?

Old 06-10-2022, 07:06 AM

13,841 posts, read 8,122,147 times
Quote:
Squirrel Hill neighborhood Pittsburgh or University City, Philadelphia?
Squirrel Hill. While I do like Philly, I was very impressed with Pittsburgh when I visited a few years ago. I like its more reasonable size. Philly is just too big for me to imagine living there.

San Antonio, Texas or Fort Lauderdale, Florida?

Old 06-10-2022, 02:50 PM

If I had my family man cap on I'd likely lean towards San Antonio. However for the purpose of this lets assume I dropped the family off at Cape Canaveral and they're on Elon's next Rocket to Mars in which case I'm setting up shop in FL and enjoying the Atlantic Ocean 12 months a year.

Mount Pleasant SC or Cary NC?

Old 06-10-2022, 05:12 PM

16,602 posts, read 10,767,134 times
Quote:
If I had my family man cap on I'd likely lean towards San Antonio. However for the purpose of this lets assume I dropped the family off at Cape Canaveral and they're on Elon's next Rocket to Mars in which case I'm setting up shop in FL and enjoying the Atlantic Ocean 12 months a year.

Mount Pleasant SC or Cary NC?
Mount Pleasant's name is 50 percent accurate. It is indeed a pleasant place . . . but it's as flat as a pancake! But I like it, and I really like Charleston being next door, so that's where I'll pick. I never get tired of visiting the USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point, so I'll need to get an annual pass, since I'll be able to go there anytime I want to, living in Mount Pleasant. I just hope I can survive the summertime humidity.

Speaking of coastal cities that have warship museums . . . Corpus Christi, TX or Mobile, AL?

Old 06-10-2022, 05:21 PM

146 posts, read 154,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Mount Pleasant's name is 50 percent accurate. It is indeed a pleasant place . . . but it's as flat as a pancake! But I like it, and I really like Charleston being next door, so that's where I'll pick. I never get tired of visiting the USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point, so I'll need to get an annual pass, since I'll be able to go there anytime I want to, living in Mount Pleasant. I just hope I can survive the summertime humidity.

Speaking of coastal cities that have warship museums . . . Corpus Christi, TX or Mobile, AL?
Mobile since it's basically a diet New Orleans.

Kennett, MO or Sikeston, MO?

Old 06-10-2022, 05:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,106,255 times
Quote:

Kill me.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:29 PM

146 posts, read 154,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Kill me.
Later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City