Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 01:39 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Monroe... primarily due to its location between Detroit and Toledo which makes it much more attractive from a commuting standpoint.

Sioux Falls, SD or Duluth, MN?
Both would be fine but edge to Duluth for being not too far from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Las Cruces NM or Santa Fe NM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 08:55 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Both would be fine but edge to Duluth for being not too far from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Las Cruces NM or Santa Fe NM?
Las Cruces isn't all that bad, but Santa Fe has better architecture, a more charming downtown, a better arts and culture scene and the New Mexico state Capitol building, one of the more distinctive in the country: it's a cylinder in the Territorial style built in the mid-1960s. Of course, the historic Palace of Governors, the former state capitol dating to the (I believe) 1600s, still stands as well. So I'll take Santa Fe. But I will conclude by saying that in general, New Mexico lives up to its nickname: it is truly a Land of Enchantment.

And now that the railroad's on my mind:

Atchison (KS), Topeka (KS) or Santa Fe (NM)?

Trivia question: The railroad that had that name only stopped in one of those three cities ultimately, and still stops in only one. Which are the two it doesn't, and what's the closest passenger station to each?

Old 11-17-2023, 10:53 AM

13,755 posts, read 8,058,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And now that the railroad's on my mind:

Atchison (KS), Topeka (KS) or Santa Fe (NM)?

Trivia question: The railroad that had that name only stopped in one of those three cities ultimately, and still stops in only one. Which are the two it doesn't, and what's the closest passenger station to each?
I had to do a bit of research on the ATSF, but Atchison and Santa Fe seem to be the answer to your first question. Amtrak runs from KC to Topeka, so I'm guessing one of those is the closest to Atchison, and Amtrak also runs to Albuquerque so that will be the closest to Santa Fe.

As for which one I'd choose to live, Santa Fe is the most unique of the three and the most desirable to me. However, it's also by far the most expensive. If I had unlimited funds I'd choose Santa Fe. But practically speaking, I'd go with Atchison. It seems to be a very pleasant small town with a riverside setting and a small college. It looks to be right up my alley.

Wichita, Kansas or Huntington, West Virginia?

Old 11-17-2023, 11:24 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I had to do a bit of research on the ATSF, but Atchison and Santa Fe seem to be the answer to your first question. Amtrak runs from KC to Topeka, so I'm guessing one of those is the closest to Atchison, and Amtrak also runs to Albuquerque so that will be the closest to Santa Fe.

As for which one I'd choose to live, Santa Fe is the most unique of the three and the most desirable to me. However, it's also by far the most expensive. If I had unlimited funds I'd choose Santa Fe. But practically speaking, I'd go with Atchison. It seems to be a very pleasant small town with a riverside setting and a small college. It looks to be right up my alley.

Wichita, Kansas or Huntington, West Virginia?
Wichita... Both are fairly isolated from other cities, but I'll choose Wichita because the metro is considerably larger (by ~300,000) so I'd imagine there would be more jobs/amenities/culture. Neither regional area really does much for me.

Eureka, CA or Coos Bay, OR?

Old 11-17-2023, 12:16 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Wichita... Both are fairly isolated from other cities, but I'll choose Wichita because the metro is considerably larger (by ~300,000) so I'd imagine there would be more jobs/amenities/culture. Neither regional area really does much for me.

Eureka, CA or Coos Bay, OR?
Probably Coos Bay. It appears to be not as far of a drive to get to a slightly bigger city(Eugene), vs Redding for Eureka. Plus no offense to Redding, but I suspect Eugene would offer more things to do. Plus with Coos Bay, there are other towns not too far away(i.e. Florence, Newport, etc).

Bar Harbor, ME, or Euereka, CA?

Old 11-17-2023, 12:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Probably Coos Bay. It appears to be not as far of a drive to get to a slightly bigger city(Eugene), vs Redding for Eureka. Plus no offense to Redding, but I suspect Eugene would offer more things to do. Plus with Coos Bay, there are other towns not too far away(i.e. Florence, Newport, etc).

Oooh, good one. Eureka is nicely situated and has a lovely district of Victorian homes. But I think that Bar Harbor is a little more picturesque, and even though it's smaller, the Maine coast in general is lovely, so I'll pick Bar Harbor.

EscAlaMike: Congrats on doing your homework! Atchison is closer to KC than it is to Topeka. The stop in New Mexico that you get off at to catch Amtrak shuttle buses to Santa Fe is Lamy. According to the Wikipedia article on the place, which was built specifically because it would have been difficult to bring the main line into Santa Fe itself, there is an excursion line that runs trains on the spur the ATSF built from Lamy to Santa Fe.

Columbus, Ohio, or Columbus, Ga.?

Old 11-17-2023, 01:52 PM

8,991 posts, read 17,350,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Columbus, Ohio, or Columbus, Ga.?
The one in Georgia, even though I don't know anything about Columbus GA. As someone who spent part of my childhood in Michigan, and still have family scattered across Michigan, I would NEVER in a million years move to Columbus Ohio.

Erie PA or Rochester NY

Old 11-17-2023, 02:24 PM

6,431 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Not sure if this was coincidental, but the Eureka area has been used as the filming location for several Stephen King movies. I know he's from Maine, not sure if he has a connection to Bar Harbor specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Erie PA or Rochester NY
Rochester. I've recently gotten interested in Buffalo, and the differences in scale/vibrancy between it and Rochester have become more apparent to me, but it's still a significantly larger city/metro with a better economy than Erie.

Rochester, MN or Erie, CO?

Old 11-17-2023, 02:26 PM

10,769 posts, read 23,905,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The one in Georgia, even though I don't know anything about Columbus GA. As someone who spent part of my childhood in Michigan, and still have family scattered across Michigan, I would NEVER in a million years move to Columbus Ohio.

Erie PA or Rochester NY
Rochester. Better economy, more interesting topography with places like Niagara and the Finger Lakes nearby, and I'd generally prefer NY state over PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Rochester, MN or Erie, CO?
Erie, CO. I'd prefer to be in Colorado and Erie is a nice modern suburb with Boulder and Denver close by to keep things interesting.

Cumberland, MD or Salisbury. MD?

Old 11-17-2023, 05:44 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,726,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Rochester. Better economy, more interesting topography with places like Niagara and the Finger Lakes nearby, and I'd generally prefer NY state over PA.

Erie, CO. I'd prefer to be in Colorado and Erie is a nice modern suburb with Boulder and Denver close by to keep things interesting.

Cumberland, MD or Salisbury. MD?
Cumberland. It's in a beautiful mountain setting and has a charming downtown, as well as being the junction point for two major trails (C & O Canal and Great Allegany Passage). There's also a steam train operating out of there. And you're not far from the Paw Paw Tunnel. Salisbury isn't a bad place, but darn, it's so flat!

Spring Hill, FL or Spring Hill, TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City