Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 05:33 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,978,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The one in Maryland. Mizzou's home is an exception to my general rule stating that Midwestern college towns are cool, and I think it might be neat to live in one of the most celebrated planned new towns of the 1960s, midway between Baltimore and Washington.

We can do a round-robin:

Columbia, Md., or Columbia, S.C.?

(Whoever answers this one should be able to figure out the next pair.)
I'll still go with Columbia, MD. Unfortunately, the southeast's eggs are being shifted to GA and NC, leaving SC as the least progressive of the bunch, and even within SC, Columbia has "Middle child syndrome" between charming Charleston and the "New South" growth of Greenville-Spartanburg. As a result, it will remain provincial and only drawing from a subregional market for at least the medium term. I've never ever been there, but what I've read about it, it just seems like your typical midsized southern city on the same vain as Little Rock, Jackson, Montgomery, or Macon.

Now back to MD's. Right before the pandemic hit, it was having a town center that was reinventing itself in a way that hadn't been envisioned before with new development. Also, since its not an official municipality and only has community organization rules and part of a county that doesn't have any incorporated towns/cities, it has a more efficient government. Also, the K-12 schools are much better, and even has a Blue Ribbon school (River Hill). Finally, commuter buses in various locations take you directly to downtown DC and Baltimore as well as a few other nearby suburbs like downtown Bethesda and Silver Spring. And because MD is a pretty small state, that also means quick proximity to other great destinations like Annapolis, Frederick, and the Bay. It is a bit on the expensive side if you're coming from a low cost state like SC, but many of the jobs nearby pay well and/or have good benefits. I will miss the Symphony Of Lights that starts up around this time of year thanks to the new development that surrounds Merriweather, a very fine outdoor amphitheater that attracts top talent and even has a cool pinball room with all machines themed after a cool rock stars. It has a much greater diversity of musical genres represented, from pop, rock, country, R&B, hip hop, and jazz. Columbia, SC, is mostly a country music city, so the musical talent isn't as diverse down there. Speaking of which, Columbia, MD is much more diverse and that was part of Rouse's vision when he founded the planned community; the SC city is mostly just black & white. I also appreciate the more equally balanced seasons of MD's than SC's, where summers are just too long, hot, and humid for me. 81 degrees in mid-November? No thanks!

Now doing some neighborhoods of some big cities:

Hancock Park, Los Angeles or Wicker Park, Chicago?

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 11-17-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 07:09 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,344,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I'll still go with Columbia, MD. Unfortunately, the southeast's eggs are being shifted to GA and NC, leaving SC as the least progressive of the bunch, and even within SC, Columbia has "Middle child syndrome" between charming Charleston and the "New South" growth of Greenville-Spartanburg. As a result, it will remain provincial and only drawing from a subregional market for at least the medium term. I've never ever been there, but what I've read about it, it just seems like your typical midsized southern city on the same vain as Little Rock, Jackson, Montgomery, or Macon.

Now back to MD's. Right before the pandemic hit, it was having a town center that was reinventing itself in a way that hadn't been envisioned before with new development. Also, since its not an official municipality and only has community organization rules and part of a county that doesn't have any incorporated towns/cities, it has a more efficient government. Also, the K-12 schools are much better, and even has a Blue Ribbon school (River Hill). Finally, commuter buses in various locations take you directly to downtown DC and Baltimore as well as a few other nearby suburbs like downtown Bethesda and Silver Spring. And because MD is a pretty small state, that also means quick proximity to other great destinations like Annapolis, Frederick, and the Bay. It is a bit on the expensive side if you're coming from a low cost state like SC, but many of the jobs nearby pay well and/or have good benefits. I will miss the Symphony Of Lights that starts up around this time of year thanks to the new development that surrounds Merriweather, a very fine outdoor amphitheater that attracts top talent and even has a cool pinball room with all machines themed after a cool rock stars. It has a much greater diversity of musical genres represented, from pop, rock, country, R&B, hip hop, and jazz. Columbia, SC, is mostly a country music city, so the musical talent isn't as diverse down there. Speaking of which, Columbia, MD is much more diverse and that was part of Rouse's vision when he founded the planned community; the SC city is mostly just black & white. I also appreciate the more equally balanced seasons of MD's than SC's, where summers are just too long, hot, and humid for me. 81 degrees in mid-November? No thanks!

Now doing some neighborhoods of some big cities:

Hancock Park, Los Angeles or Wicker Park, Chicago?
Hancock Park. It's a nicer community and I just prefer L.A in general

Bringing back the same name theme

Lancaster PA or Lancaster CA?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:14 AM

13,814 posts, read 8,089,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Lancaster PA or Lancaster CA?
Pennsylvania. Winters would be tough, but at least it's green and lush. Seems like a better place to raise a family, too. It has history and character.

Columbus, Indiana or Columbus, Georgia?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Pennsylvania. Winters would be tough, but at least it's green and lush. Seems like a better place to raise a family, too. It has history and character.

Columbus, Indiana or Columbus, Georgia?
Columbus, Ind., mainly thanks to its leading corporate citizen, Cummins Engine Company. That firm's leaders are architecture buffs, and they have given that small city an outstanding collection of modern buildings.

Having established beyond a doubt the superiority of Columbia, Md., I'd like to move on to the losers' bracket:

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:35 AM

94,184 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Columbus, Ind., mainly thanks to its leading corporate citizen, Cummins Engine Company. That firm's leaders are architecture buffs, and they have given that small city an outstanding collection of modern buildings.

Having established beyond a doubt the superiority of Columbia, Md., I'd like to move on to the losers' bracket:

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?
Columbia SC, it is a bigger city/area that is in a good location between the coast and mountains.

Martinsburg WV or Martin TN?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Martinsburg WV or Martin TN?
Martin. It's a nice town, just the right size, with a small public university. I like West Tennessee a lot, and Martin is just down the road from my ancestral home in Gibson Co.

Umatilla, Oregon or Umatilla, Florida?

Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 AM

195 posts, read 197,443 times
Quote:
Martin. It's a nice town, just the right size, with a small public university. I like West Tennessee a lot, and Martin is just down the road from my ancestral home in Gibson Co.

Umatilla, Oregon or Umatilla, Florida?
Umatilla FL. It's way less in the "middle of nowhere" so to speak

Springfield IL or Springfield MA?

Old 11-17-2020, 09:15 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,571,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
Umatilla FL. It's way less in the "middle of nowhere" so to speak

Springfield IL or Springfield MA?
Springfield, IL. More affordable. Very americana and near Chicago.

Tulsa, OK or Tucson, AZ?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Tulsa, OK or Tucson, AZ?
Tulsa. I like the greenery and recreation opportunities of eastern OK.

Prescott, Arizona or Prescott, Arkansas?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:39 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,344,367 times
Quote:
Tulsa. I like the greenery and recreation opportunities of eastern OK.

Prescott, Arizona or Prescott, Arkansas?
Prescott Arizona. Love the wild west scenery.

Gainesville FL or Gainesville GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City