Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 09:52 PM

3,959 posts, read 2,271,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Frisco. If I had to live in a newish Sunbelt metro DFW would be one of the better ones. Less sprawled out (suburbs blend into each other more than "town, two-lane road through the woods, next town"), more tech, and more Indian food.

Bangor, ME or Visalia, CA?
Visalia. I'm not built for a northeastern winter. Yuma AZ or Redding CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 01:00 AM

4,823 posts, read 3,108,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Visalia. I'm not built for a northeastern winter.
Yuma AZ or Redding CA?
At either place, I'd have to put up with long, broiling summers.
So I'd choose the one with the more interesting surroundings,
and that would be Redding (Mt Shasta, Trinity Alps, etc.)

Two Oregon coast cities:

Astoria or Brookings?

Old 09-27-2023, 01:46 AM

6,451 posts, read 5,122,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
At either place, I'd have to put up with long, broiling summers.
So I'd choose the one with the more interesting surroundings,
and that would be Redding (Mt Shasta, Trinity Alps, etc.)

Two Oregon coast cities:

Astoria or Brookings?
Easily Astoria. Less isolated, more people coming through (so a better assortment of businesses), and has that Rust Belt aesthetic I enjoy. Man I'm getting hungry just thinking about breakfast at the Blue Scorcher, and I'm literally eating dinner as I type this. I've often said Astoria is one of the only small towns not part of a metro area that I wouldn't mind living in.

Oregon inland towns:

The Dalles, OR or La Grande, OR?

Old 09-28-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Easily Astoria. Less isolated, more people coming through (so a better assortment of businesses), and has that Rust Belt aesthetic I enjoy. Man I'm getting hungry just thinking about breakfast at the Blue Scorcher, and I'm literally eating dinner as I type this. I've often said Astoria is one of the only small towns not part of a metro area that I wouldn't mind living in.

Oregon inland towns:

The Dalles. It's not as remote. San Bernardino CA or Riverside CA?

Old 09-29-2023, 11:59 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,427,090 times
Quote:
The Dalles. It's not as remote. San Bernardino CA or Riverside CA?
Those cities are less than 5 miles apart and just one long city between them and both are just long commutes to LA, not a great area - so really not much of a choice. I normally just drive through them, never really stopping but the freeways in Riverside are really bad - so San Bernardino, CA is probably just a little bit better.

But they are both CA counties also so if I go by that, I would pick Riverside County - Temecula. The best place in San Bernardino County is probably Big Bear and it is too isolated.

Prescott AZ or Reno NV?

Old 09-29-2023, 12:04 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,722,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Those cities are less than 5 miles apart and just one long city between them and both are just long commutes to LA, not a great area - so really not much of a choice. I normally just drive through them, never really stopping but the freeways in Riverside are really bad - so San Bernardino, CA is probably just a little bit better.

But they are both CA counties also so if I go by that, I would pick Riverside County - Temecula. The best place in San Bernardino County is probably Big Bear and it is too isolated.

Prescott AZ or Reno NV?
Reno. Closer to NorCal, love to gamble and 4 seasons I believe.

Denver or Atlanta

Old 09-29-2023, 03:21 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,442,087 times
Quote:

Oregon inland towns:

I think I'd pick The Dalles. That location to me is a little more interesting than La Grande, plus The Dalles is a bigger town.

For the last one, that's a tough one. Atlanta is near my family, but I do like how Denver is close to the mountains. I guess I'd narrowly lean Denver, since it seems to have a slightly better quality of life from what I'm looking up. I could easily fly fo Atlanta, when needed anyway.

Leavenworth, WA, or Truckee, CA?

Old 09-29-2023, 04:04 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,722,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I think I'd pick The Dalles. That location to me is a little more interesting than La Grande, plus The Dalles is a bigger town.

For the last one, that's a tough one. Atlanta is near my family, but I do like how Denver is close to the mountains. I guess I'd narrowly lean Denver, since it seems to have a slightly better quality of life from what I'm looking up. I could easily fly fo Atlanta, when needed anyway.

Leavenworth, WA, or Truckee, CA?
Leavenworth. They have the Christmas scene down pat!

Minneapolis or Milwaukee?

Old 09-29-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Leavenworth. They have the Christmas scene down pat!

Minneapolis or Milwaukee?
Minneapolis. I think I'd like living there better. San Fernando CA or Temecula CA?

Old 09-29-2023, 06:37 PM

4,823 posts, read 3,108,035 times
Quote:
Minneapolis. I think I'd like living there better.

San Fernando CA or Temecula CA?
Temecula is sort of a poster child for how not to grow:
sprawling, curvy streets, with lots of cul-de-sacs, making transit difficult or impossible.
And yet... its location puts a lot of interesting places within easy reach:
Mt. San Jacinto, Anza-Borrego, Joshua Tree, etc.
San Diego is 50 miles away.

So I'd go with Temecula, for the location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Reno. Closer to NorCal, love to gamble and 4 seasons I believe.

Denver or Atlanta
Denver... I've spent most of my life in the western states, so it would feel more familiar.
And of course, the Rockies are nearby!

I wouldn't care for the chilly winters, but I'm told they aren't really that bad...
it doesn't stay extremely cold for long periods of time.

Tucson or El Paso?

Last edited by NW4me; 09-29-2023 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City