Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2023, 04:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 2,250,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I think I'd choose Elizabethtown. Upstate SC is growing too fast, and I like that both Louisville and Bardstown are nearby.

Milton, Florida or Crystal River, Florida?
Milton. It's a little bigger and closer to a more populated area. San Marcos TX or Ocala FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 12:24 AM

42 posts, read 19,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Milton. It's a little bigger and closer to a more populated area. San Marcos TX or Ocala FL?
San Marcos. I have roots in the area and TX hill country all the way for me.

Charlotte, NC or Richmond, VA?

Old 09-07-2023, 02:51 AM

6,438 posts, read 5,093,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
You like to pose apples-vs-oranges choices, Timid Blue Bars?
Lol- I guess I look at a lot of job postings (in large cities, suburbs, small towns) and idly wonder what it'd be like to live in those places, so my brain gets in the habit of mentally comparing dissimilar places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
San Marcos. I have roots in the area and TX hill country all the way for me.

Charlotte, NC or Richmond, VA?
Honestly I think in Richmond I'd just spend all day wishing I were in DC, so I'll take Charlotte.

Aurora, CO or Aurora, IL?

Old 09-07-2023, 09:34 AM

42 posts, read 19,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Lol- I guess I look at a lot of job postings (in large cities, suburbs, small towns) and idly wonder what it'd be like to live in those places, so my brain gets in the habit of mentally comparing dissimilar places.

Honestly I think in Richmond I'd just spend all day wishing I were in DC, so I'll take Charlotte.

Aurora, CO or Aurora, IL?
Aurora IL. I prefer Chicago over Denver.
Nashville, TN or Austin, TX?

Old 09-07-2023, 02:55 PM

16,591 posts, read 10,744,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
Aurora IL. I prefer Chicago over Denver.
Nashville, TN or Austin, TX?
Nashville. Its liberalism is much less in-your-face than Austin's is, and it doesn't seem to have some of the social problems (homelessness, anti-police disturbances, etc.) that Austin has been getting. Plus, I find the natural environment of Middle Tennessee to be much nicer than the Texas Triangle. What's more, Nashville has more of a four-season climate than Austin.

San Francisco, CA or Seattle, WA?

Old 09-07-2023, 03:42 PM

4,781 posts, read 3,082,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

San Francisco, CA or Seattle, WA?
I already live in San Francisco, and I wouldn't trade it for most other big cities.
But for Seattle, I'd make the move, because it's such a remarkable place.
I think the factor that attracts me the most is the pervasive greenery,
which makes everyday neighborhoods look like city parks:
www.google.com/maps/@47.6318329,-122.3085798,3a,90y,296.11h,95.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_snIrT14rr7nJneSWr-JyA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Plus of course the incredible natural setting... Puget Sound, the Cascades, etc.
Probably the best in the U.S.

Seattle's weather isn't as good, but I don't mind gray days.
The transit isn't as good as SF's, but it's still very usable, and improving by the year.
And I'd be giving up rent control too. But for Seattle I'd make that trade.

Portland, Maine or Asheville, NC?

Old 09-07-2023, 07:00 PM

6,438 posts, read 5,093,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I already live in San Francisco, and I wouldn't trade it for most other big cities.
But for Seattle, I'd make the move, because it's such a remarkable place.
I think the factor that attracts me the most is the pervasive greenery,
which makes everyday neighborhoods look like city parks:
www.google.com/maps/@47.6318329,-122.3085798,3a,90y,296.11h,95.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_snIrT14rr7nJneSWr-JyA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Plus of course the incredible natural setting... Puget Sound, the Cascades, etc.
Probably the best in the U.S.

Seattle's weather isn't as good, but I don't mind gray days.
The transit isn't as good as SF's, but it's still very usable, and improving by the year.
And I'd be giving up rent control too. But for Seattle I'd make that trade.

Portland, Maine or Asheville, NC?
Portland, I've heard both are expensive for what they offer, so I'd rather at least be in the place that seems more walkable and urban and is closer to other cities.

Prescott, AZ or Vineland, NJ?

Old 09-07-2023, 10:04 PM

583 posts, read 578,340 times
I'm going to pick Vineland, NJ.

I went to Arizona last year and absolutely loved it. I thought Tucson, Scottsdale, and Flagstaff were beautiful. The one place I didn't particularly like was Prescott.

To me it felt a bit stuck in the 1970s. Whereas Scottsdale and Flagstaff have implemented policies to beautify their cities (small, tasteful commercial signs; landscaping; zoning; architectural controls), Prescott seems to have done none of this work. Thus it feels like a strip of Wal-Marts and McDonalds just like anywhere else in America. I was disappointed.

I haven't been to Vineland but I've been to Cape May, NJ which is lovely.

Oxford, MS or Ocean Springs, MS

Old 09-07-2023, 10:47 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,492,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I'm going to pick Vineland, NJ.

I went to Arizona last year and absolutely loved it. I thought Tucson, Scottsdale, and Flagstaff were beautiful. The one place I didn't particularly like was Prescott.

To me it felt a bit stuck in the 1970s. Whereas Scottsdale and Flagstaff have implemented policies to beautify their cities (small, tasteful commercial signs; landscaping; zoning; architectural controls), Prescott seems to have done none of this work. Thus it feels like a strip of Wal-Marts and McDonalds just like anywhere else in America. I was disappointed.

I haven't been to Vineland but I've been to Cape May, NJ which is lovely.

Oxford, MS or Ocean Springs, MS
Oxford for its southern character, lush landscape, and history. I also like that it is not as commercially developed as the coast.

Fishers, IN or Hendersonville, TN?

Old 09-08-2023, 01:54 PM

3,941 posts, read 2,250,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Oxford for its southern character, lush landscape, and history. I also like that it is not as commercially developed as the coast.

Fishers, IN or Hendersonville, TN?
Hendersonville. Would rather be near Nashville than Indianapolis. Portland ME or Manchester NH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City