Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2023, 04:08 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,333,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Springfield MO. It's bigger and I think I'd prefer it to Illinois. Louisville or Nashville?
Nashville. Larger region and booming like crazy. Just seems like it offers more overall.

Grand Rapids MI or Madison WI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 06:04 PM

16,589 posts, read 10,726,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Nashville. Larger region and booming like crazy. Just seems like it offers more overall.

Grand Rapids MI or Madison WI?
Grand Rapids for sure. Very underrated city with a lot going on. The area is more religious and conservative than Madison, which is a big plus for me. And the homeless seemed to be much more in evidence in Madison, whereas I can't recall seeing any in Grand Rapids. Being closer to Lake Michigan and the charming lakeshore towns is a plus as well.

Omaha, NE or Oklahoma City, OK?

Old 09-01-2023, 07:22 PM

6,432 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Grand Rapids for sure. Very underrated city with a lot going on. The area is more religious and conservative than Madison, which is a big plus for me. And the homeless seemed to be much more in evidence in Madison, whereas I can't recall seeing any in Grand Rapids. Being closer to Lake Michigan and the charming lakeshore towns is a plus as well.

Omaha, NE or Oklahoma City, OK?
OKC. Seems like Omaha is trying harder to convince people it's (becoming) a major city, OKC doesn't have to as much. There's also more going on in OK that interests me than NE, between Tulsa, mountain ranges like the Bostons and Arbuckles, the large Native American presence, and the panhandle which seems more desolate and remote than similarly far-west parts of NE.

Also, for whatever reason I have a lot of online friends who live in the DFW area (more than say Philly or Atlanta which are similarly sized metros. I guess a lot of them are Indians I know through tech-adjacent circles), so it'd be cool to have them relatively close by.

Bloomington, IL or Boulder City, NV?

Old 09-02-2023, 02:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 3,066,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
OKC. Seems like Omaha is trying harder to convince people it's (becoming) a major city, OKC doesn't have to as much. There's also more going on in OK that interests me than NE, between Tulsa, mountain ranges like the Bostons and Arbuckles, the large Native American presence, and the panhandle which seems more desolate and remote than similarly far-west parts of NE.

Also, for whatever reason I have a lot of online friends who live in the DFW area (more than say Philly or Atlanta which are similarly sized metros. I guess a lot of them are Indians I know through tech-adjacent circles), so it'd be cool to have them relatively close by.

Bloomington, IL or Boulder City, NV?
You like to pose apples-vs-oranges choices, Timid Blue Bars?

Between the Midwest and the West, I'd usually go with the West... but in this case, maybe not.
That southern Nevada landscape is so arid and bleak, I'd find it depressing... I like greenery.
There are mountains to hike (vs none in Illinois), but in the summer months it would be too hot to be outdoors.
And Boulder City didn't even exist 100 years ago, so not as much history to investigate.
The little RR museum does look cool, though.

Not sure whether Bloomington has any particular claim to fame,
but it does seem to have a nice traditional Main Street:
http://www.google.com/maps/@40.48191...8192?entry=ttu
And I'd rather live in a region that grows food (lots of cornfields in downstate Illinois!)
than one whose economic base is superficial entertainment (Las Vegas). So, Bloomington.... just maybe.

Corvallis, Oregon or Flagstaff, Arizona?

Last edited by NW4me; 09-02-2023 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-02-2023, 11:22 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
You like to pose apples-vs-oranges choices, Timid Blue Bars?

Between the Midwest and the West, I'd usually go with the West... but in this case, maybe not.
That southern Nevada landscape is so arid and bleak, I'd find it depressing... I like greenery.
There are mountains to hike (vs none in Illinois), but in the summer months it would be too hot to be outdoors.
And Boulder City didn't even exist 100 years ago, so not as much history to investigate.
The little RR museum does look cool, though.

Not sure whether Bloomington has any particular claim to fame,
but it does seem to have a nice traditional Main Street:
http://www.google.com/maps/@40.48191...8192?entry=ttu
And I'd rather live in a region that grows food (lots of cornfields in downstate Illinois!)
than one whose economic base is superficial entertainment (Las Vegas). So, Bloomington.... just maybe.

Corvallis, Oregon or Flagstaff, Arizona?
Flagstaff would interest me more. Juneau AK or Bend OR?

Old 09-03-2023, 05:08 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Flagstaff would interest me more. Juneau AK or Bend OR?
Bend... more populous city in a more accessible lower 48 location... Juneau would be great to visit, and the year-round climate seems tolerable by Alaska standards, but it's too small and isolated for my liking.

Fargo, ND or Bozeman, MT?

Old 09-03-2023, 11:01 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Bend... more populous city in a more accessible lower 48 location... Juneau would be great to visit, and the year-round climate seems tolerable by Alaska standards, but it's too small and isolated for my liking.

Fargo, ND or Bozeman, MT?
Bozeman because it feels more progressive.

Annapolis, MD or Albuquerque, NM?

Old 09-04-2023, 03:08 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bozeman because it feels more progressive.

Annapolis, MD or Albuquerque, NM?
Annapolis. It's a hop and a skip between Baltimore and Washington. Davis CA or Ann Arbor MI?

Old 09-05-2023, 11:24 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Annapolis. It's a hop and a skip between Baltimore and Washington. Davis CA or Ann Arbor MI?
Close call. I will choose Ann Arbor for its impressive medical and educational facilities. I like the direction the area is headed while Davis only appeals to a certain income of people. Ann Arbor also feels more localized.

Spartanburg, SC or Elizabethtown, KY?

Old 09-06-2023, 02:03 PM

13,755 posts, read 8,058,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Spartanburg, SC or Elizabethtown, KY?
I think I'd choose Elizabethtown. Upstate SC is growing too fast, and I like that both Louisville and Bardstown are nearby.

Milton, Florida or Crystal River, Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City