Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2023, 02:46 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I guess Topeka, it seems a bit more culturally interesting and it has more cities around it (Lawrence, KC, and sort of Manhattan).

Two towns with tiny populations, which mostly serve as the home for amusement parks and/or industry: Lake Buena Vista, FL or Lakeside, CO?
Lakeside, CO... it looks like a much easier place to navigate day-to-day living as its only residential housing is isolated from the amusement park in the southeast part of the municipality and it seems more conducive to a normal lifestyle compared to the nonstop chaos of Disney/Lake Buena Vista.

Toledo, OH or Akron, OH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 06:12 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Lakeside, CO... it looks like a much easier place to navigate day-to-day living as its only residential housing is isolated from the amusement park in the southeast part of the municipality and it seems more conducive to a normal lifestyle compared to the nonstop chaos of Disney/Lake Buena Vista.

Toledo, OH or Akron, OH?
Akron, Akron, Akron. No ma'am to Toledo. Akron has more culture and things to do. With the right polish, it could be the Ft. Worth to Cleveland's Dallas.

Birmingham, MI or Alpharetta, GA?

Old 10-10-2023, 12:33 PM

583 posts, read 578,992 times
I drove through Detroit's northern suburbs and the thing that surprised me was the degree to which it began to resemble Atlanta. Particularly in the Rochester Hills/ Lake Orion area. It's quite beautiful up there. And Birmingham/ Bloomfield area would be the equivalent of Buckhead.

Even though Birmingham is probably more authentic than Alpharetta, having its own downtown etc, the thing I couldn't get past about the Detroit area was Detroit itself. Not just the crime thing but just being this huge, flat expanse on a giant street grid of huge, wide roads.

Because of the overall beauty of the Atlanta area I'll go Alpharetta.

Ladue, Missouri or Indian Hill, Ohio

Old 10-10-2023, 05:16 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I drove through Detroit's northern suburbs and the thing that surprised me was the degree to which it began to resemble Atlanta. Particularly in the Rochester Hills/ Lake Orion area. It's quite beautiful up there. And Birmingham/ Bloomfield area would be the equivalent of Buckhead.

Even though Birmingham is probably more authentic than Alpharetta, having its own downtown etc, the thing I couldn't get past about the Detroit area was Detroit itself. Not just the crime thing but just being this huge, flat expanse on a giant street grid of huge, wide roads.

Because of the overall beauty of the Atlanta area I'll go Alpharetta.

Ladue, Missouri or Indian Hill, Ohio
Indian Hill. I'd rather be near Cincinnati than St. Louis. Pine Bluff AR or Conway AR?

Last edited by brock2010; 10-10-2023 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-10-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Indian Hill. I'd rather be near Cincinnati than St. Louis. Pine Bluff AR or Conway AR?
Conway because it is more of its own city. I like the things to do and shopping areas.

Hoover, AL or Farragut, TN?

Old 10-11-2023, 06:18 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,098,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Conway because it is more of its own city. I like the things to do and shopping areas.

Hoover, AL or Farragut, TN?
I'll take Hoover, I prefer the Birmingham area over Knoxville --- less of a touristy region with a better job market. Shopping in town (and by extension the food scene) looks a bit better too, with the Riverchase Galleria mall there.

Rutland, VT or Brattleboro, VT?

Old 10-12-2023, 03:42 AM

10,775 posts, read 23,927,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Rutland, VT or Brattleboro, VT?
Easily Brattleboro. Rutland has a bit of a backwater rust belt feel with a declining population and no interstate highway connections (it used to be the 2nd largest city in the state). Lots of strip malls and vacant retail and it's weird how they put the Wal Mart right in the center of downtown. The only benefit I'd see to the area is that it's close to Killington and Woodstock. Like Rutland, Brattleboro has elevated drug issues and some poverty. But Brattleboro has got a nice downtown, a food Co-op that I like, and a cool brewery with outdoor seating overlooking the Connecticut River. Bratt also has interstate connections with I-91 giving easy access to southern New England and the rest of the state. There's an interesting vibe there. It's a bit hippy/crunchy overload but it's better than Rutland.

Laconia, NH or Keene, NH?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-12-2023 at 04:03 AM..

Old 10-12-2023, 06:10 AM

6,138 posts, read 9,203,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Easily Brattleboro. Rutland has a bit of a backwater rust belt feel with a declining population and no interstate highway connections (it used to be the 2nd largest city in the state). Lots of strip malls and vacant retail and it's weird how they put the Wal Mart right in the center of downtown. The only benefit I'd see to the area is that it's close to Killington and Woodstock. Like Rutland, Brattleboro has elevated drug issues and some poverty. But Brattleboro has got a nice downtown, a food Co-op that I like, and a cool brewery with outdoor seating overlooking the Connecticut River. Bratt also has interstate connections with I-91 giving easy access to southern New England and the rest of the state. There's an interesting vibe there. It's a bit hippy/crunchy overload but it's better than Rutland.

Laconia, NH or Keene, NH?
I've only been to Keene of the two. Laconia I believe is in a better location and natural setting. I will have to make the drive out there.

Tupper Lake, NY or Watkins Glen, NY?

Old 10-12-2023, 01:01 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I've only been to Keene of the two. Laconia I believe is in a better location and natural setting. I will have to make the drive out there.

Tupper Lake, NY or Watkins Glen, NY?
Watkins Glen... I like that it's more centrally located within NY State and less isolated from other small cities (35-40 min from Ithaca and Elmira).

Stockton, CA or Reading, PA?

Old 10-12-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Watkins Glen... I like that it's more centrally located within NY State and less isolated from other small cities (35-40 min from Ithaca and Elmira).

Stockton, CA or Reading, PA?
Reading. It looks like a nice place and community feel. Stockton looks like anywheresville and has a high crime rate.

Beaufort, SC or Cullman, AL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City