Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2022, 12:38 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,901,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I remember reading(and my few searches on Zillow) that Santa Fe has a more expensive cost of living, than other parts of NM. If I remember correctly, Rio Rancho has a New Mexico Rail Runner(commuter rail) station, and is halfway between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. So I'll pick Rio Rancho.

Small NM towns: Las Vegas, NM, or Raton, NM?
Las Vegas... it's twice the size of Raton and has a university in town. It's also an hour from Santa Fe whereas the closest city to Raton is Pueblo, CO which is 1.5 hours away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Las Vegas.... it's closer to the mountains and closer to Santa Fe.

Albuquerque NM or Reno NV?
Reno... I typically prefer larger metros, but Reno's proximity to Lake Tahoe/NoCal is the biggest selling point to me.

Wheeling, WV or Cumberland, MD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 01:04 PM

13,759 posts, read 8,062,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Wheeling, WV or Cumberland, MD?
Wheeling. Both of these cities are more economically depressed than I'd prefer, but a large house could probably be had for a pretty reasonable price in either one. I'd go with Wheeling because I think WV is probably a bit more livable than MD, and I like that it's only an hour to metro Pittsburgh.

Cottage Grove, Oregon or Skaneateles, New York?

Old 12-16-2022, 07:42 PM

3,496 posts, read 3,418,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Wheeling. Both of these cities are more economically depressed than I'd prefer, but a large house could probably be had for a pretty reasonable price in either one. I'd go with Wheeling because I think WV is probably a bit more livable than MD, and I like that it's only an hour to metro Pittsburgh.

Cottage Grove, Oregon or Skaneateles, New York?
I'll go with Cottage Grove. It doesn't get as cold as Skaneateles in the winter, and it's closer to a more populated city(Eugene). I know Skaneateles isn't far from the Finger Lakes region, but to me I'd rather live in a place where it doesn't as cold in the winter.

Canandaigua, NY, or Jackson, CA?

Old 12-17-2022, 01:27 AM

64 posts, read 86,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'll go with Cottage Grove. It doesn't get as cold as Skaneateles in the winter, and it's closer to a more populated city(Eugene). I know Skaneateles isn't far from the Finger Lakes region, but to me I'd rather live in a place where it doesn't as cold in the winter.

Canandaigua, NY, or Jackson, CA?
Jackson, CA. Nothing wrong with Canandaigua, but I think I would enjoy a chance of pace and scenery. Being in the foothills of the Sierra would be pretty cool and I would personally love having the Tahoe ski areas within a reasonable drive. Wildfire threat would be scary though.

Pittsburgh, PA or Salt Lake City, UT (asking as I have a friend that may move from one to another)

Old 12-17-2022, 08:35 AM

14,326 posts, read 9,202,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxurbanite View Post
Jackson, CA. Nothing wrong with Canandaigua, but I think I would enjoy a chance of pace and scenery. Being in the foothills of the Sierra would be pretty cool and I would personally love having the Tahoe ski areas within a reasonable drive. Wildfire threat would be scary though.

Pittsburgh, PA or Salt Lake City, UT (asking as I have a friend that may move from one to another)
Does your friend like mountain climbing?

They will have the opportunity to do it as they go about their daily business in Pittsburgh if they choose the right neighborhood to live in.

The mountains are just to SLC's east. Pittsburgh is set in the middle of them. If it weren't for the steel mills that kept the city humming for decades, people would probably wax rhapsodic about its setting the way they do San Francisco's.

But the steel mills are all gone now, so people can now do that.

It's also less isolated than SLC. I'd prefer it for that reason alone, but the fantastic topography is just icing on the cake.

Two towns, same name, neighboring states, that could hardly be more different:

Manchester, N.H., or Manchester, Vt.?

Old 12-17-2022, 12:38 PM

9,719 posts, read 9,480,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Does your friend like mountain climbing?

They will have the opportunity to do it as they go about their daily business in Pittsburgh if they choose the right neighborhood to live in.

The mountains are just to SLC's east. Pittsburgh is set in the middle of them. If it weren't for the steel mills that kept the city humming for decades, people would probably wax rhapsodic about its setting the way they do San Francisco's.

But the steel mills are all gone now, so people can now do that.

It's also less isolated than SLC. I'd prefer it for that reason alone, but the fantastic topography is just icing on the cake.

Two towns, same name, neighboring states, that could hardly be more different:

Manchester, N.H., or Manchester, Vt.?
Manchester, NH because it is larger and not as isolated.

Charlotte, NC or Louisville, KY?

Old 12-17-2022, 03:20 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,413,211 times
Charlotte, more dynamic , milder winters closer to ocean

Prescott, AZ or Las Cruces, NM?

Old 12-17-2022, 07:22 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,244,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Charlotte, more dynamic , milder winters closer to ocean

Prescott, AZ or Las Cruces, NM?
Las Cruces. I love New Mexico and not far from El Paso. Santa Rosa CA or Santa Barbara CA?

Old 12-19-2022, 12:28 PM

353 posts, read 159,830 times
Santa Rosa is a very nice place to live but I'm a big fan of the CA central coast and Santa Barbara is probably the nicest place in the entire country and its expensive. For the next one let's assume you're living somewhere in the city proper and not out on the beach somewhere nearby.

Pensacola FL or Jacksonville FL.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:38 PM

13,759 posts, read 8,062,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
Pensacola FL or Jacksonville FL.
I'd go with Pensacola, mostly because I already live nearby and it wouldn't be much of a move. I do prefer its smaller size relative to Jax, and I prefer the Gulf Coast beaches.

Missoula, Montana or Fargo, North Dakota?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City