Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 08:52 AM

4,446 posts, read 4,362,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Dubuque. I visited it last summer, and really like how it feels like a slice of western PA tucked away in the heart of the Midwest, with the hills downtown, lots of old, pre-WWI architecture, and the relative proximity to more cities that I enjoy. Galena, IL is close by for more antiques and other oodles as well, and I really enjoy the upper Mississippi's scenery too. Montgomery is my least favorite of AL's four largest cities; it lacks the new economy of Huntsville, the urbanism of Birmingham, nor the coastal charm of Mobile, plus the summers are way too long/hot/humid for me; Dubuque has four well-defined seasons.

New Freedom, PA or New Liberty, IN?
New Freedom PA. I like it's location more and it seems like a nice small town.

Jacksonville FL or Savannah GA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 08:56 AM

13,849 posts, read 8,142,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
New Freedom, PA or New Liberty, IN?
I'll go with New Liberty. Even though New Freedom is an actual town, while NL is just a rural area with a 3-way intersection, I like its relative location better. Southern Indiana is beautiful with its gently rolling landscape, and it's an easy drive into metro Louisville.

Carbondale, Illinois or Indiana, Pennsylvania?

Old 12-21-2022, 12:08 PM

14,370 posts, read 9,274,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'll go with New Liberty. Even though New Freedom is an actual town, while NL is just a rural area with a 3-way intersection, I like its relative location better. Southern Indiana is beautiful with its gently rolling landscape, and it's an easy drive into metro Louisville.

Carbondale, Illinois or Indiana, Pennsylvania?
Indiana edges out Carbondale.

They have in common two things: they're both the seats of their respective counties, and they're both home to state universities that began their existence as "normal schools" or teachers' colleges. (My artist uncle taught at the branch campus of Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville.)

But Indiana is closer to Pittsburgh (it's part of the Pittsburgh CSA) than Carbondale is to St. Louis. And I think that the area around Indiana, buffeted though Greater Pittsburgh has been by steel's demise, is in better shape than that of "Little Egypt" in southern Illinois.

Different even matchup (sort of) involving one of these:

Carbondale, Ill., or Carbondale, Pa.?

Old 12-22-2022, 03:44 AM

37,376 posts, read 39,809,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

They have in common two things: they're both the seats of their respective counties, and they're both home to state universities that began their existence as "normal schools" or teachers' colleges. (My artist uncle taught at the branch campus of Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville.)

But Indiana is closer to Pittsburgh (it's part of the Pittsburgh CSA) than Carbondale is to St. Louis. And I think that the area around Indiana, buffeted though Greater Pittsburgh has been by steel's demise, is in better shape than that of "Little Egypt" in southern Illinois.

Carbondale, Illinois. I like the setting and the urban layout and architecture of Carbondale, PA as an older city in a tight river valley which means narrow, walkable streets. Carbondale's layout by contrast seems very unpleasant to walk in except for a small area near the train station. However, it gets points for having that train station and that service. It's also a much more populous city and has a sizable university which to me means more cultural events and exhibitions, potential to take or teach classes, some sustained baseline for the economy, and likely an okay bus transit system.

A battle of the small hams:

Hamtramck, Michigan or Hammonton, New Jersey

Old 12-22-2022, 08:00 AM

4,446 posts, read 4,362,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Carbondale, Illinois. I like the setting and the urban layout and architecture of Carbondale, PA as an older city in a tight river valley which means narrow, walkable streets. Carbondale's layout by contrast seems very unpleasant to walk in except for a small area near the train station. However, it gets points for having that train station and that service. It's also a much more populous city and has a sizable university which to me means more cultural events and exhibitions, potential to take or teach classes, some sustained baseline for the economy, and likely an okay bus transit system.

A battle of the small hams:

Hamtramck, Michigan or Hammonton, New Jersey
Hammonton NJ for me. I like the location and climate more.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:27 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,921,061 times
Quote:

Carbondale, PA... went back and forth with this one as I like that Carbondale, Ill is a college town that is a tad warmer year-round, but Carbondale's regional location (as part of the more populous Scranton-WB metro area) and relative proximity to the Poconos, NYC, and Philly was a greater selling point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Hammonton NJ for me. I like the location and climate more.

Jacksonville... would rather visit Savannah but Jacksonville's size makes it a more desirable place to live for me.

Youngstown, OH or Trenton, NJ?

Old 12-22-2022, 05:41 PM

14,370 posts, read 9,274,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Carbondale, PA... went back and forth with this one as I like that Carbondale, Ill is a college town that is a tad warmer year-round, but Carbondale's regional location (as part of the more populous Scranton-WB metro area) and relative proximity to the Poconos, NYC, and Philly was a greater selling point.

Jacksonville... would rather visit Savannah but Jacksonville's size makes it a more desirable place to live for me.

Youngstown, OH or Trenton, NJ?
They're comparable in size (Trenton has ~30k more residents, and both cities have lost population over several decades), but I would say that even though Trenton no longer "makes" what "the world takes," deindustrialization hasn't damaged it as badly as it has Youngstown, perhaps because it's also New Jersey's state capital.

Youngstown isn't that far from Cleveland, either, but Trenton and its county (Mercer) are where Greater New York and Greater Philadelphia overlap. There are many, many, many more interesting places to go and things to do within an hour of Trenton than within an hour of Youngstown.

I haven't been to Youngstown, so I don't know if it has a well-kept ethnic enclave along the lines of Chambersburg in Trenton, but if it doesn't, then that really seals the deal for Trenton.

There are hundreds of places bearing this name all over the country, but AFAIK, these are the only two located in the same metropolitan area:

Springfield, Delaware County, or Springfield, Montgomery County, Pa.?

Old 12-23-2022, 07:17 AM

13,849 posts, read 8,142,038 times
Quote:
Springfield, Delaware County, or Springfield, Montgomery County, Pa.?
Both look like very nice areas, but I think I'll go with the one in Montgomery County. I tend to prefer its location closer to some parts of Philly that I'm somewhat familiar with. I also like all of the parks in the immediate area.

Worcester, Massachusetts or Portsmouth, New Hampshire?

Old 12-23-2022, 12:16 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,276,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Both look like very nice areas, but I think I'll go with the one in Montgomery County. I tend to prefer its location closer to some parts of Philly that I'm somewhat familiar with. I also like all of the parks in the immediate area.

Worcester, Massachusetts or Portsmouth, New Hampshire?
Probably Worcester. El Centro CA or Casa Grande AZ?

Old 12-23-2022, 12:21 PM

357 posts, read 163,980 times
Casa Grande. I like the location between PHX and Tucson. And living in El Centro would probably give me those Mexicali blues.

Tacoma WA or Pittsburgh PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City