Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 04:43 PM

10,782 posts, read 23,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Both are really nice small metros. I'll take Omaha.

Seattle, WA or Boston, MA?
Have lived in both, I'd take Seattle, its an easier city to live in and a lot more scenic.

Saranac Lake, NY or Bar Harbor, Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 08:14 PM

9,736 posts, read 9,520,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Have lived in both, I'd take Seattle, its an easier city to live in and a lot more scenic.

Saranac Lake, NY or Bar Harbor, Maine?
Bar Harbor, Maine.

Chattanooga, TN or Norfolk, VA?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:33 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,220,456 times
Chattanooga, TN. It's a bit on the small side but is a very livable city for me and I expect it will only continue to grow and improve.

NYC vs LA

Old 04-01-2019, 10:32 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,999,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Chattanooga, TN. It's a bit on the small side but is a very livable city for me and I expect it will only continue to grow and improve.

NYC vs LA
NYC. Yes, LA has cheaper real estate per square foot, BUT that's missing the fact that a small Manhattan apartment is more usable, functional, and better designed than a single-family home in LA that's three times the size. Think about the Japanese obsession with making their tiny homes incredibly functional, well-designed, and usable. That's how NYC apartments are like.

Also, in NYC, I could just take dirt cheap mass transit and not own a car. In LA, owning cars are both necessary and very expensive, given California's draconian registration fees and the fact that LA has the highest gas prices in the country, besides San Francisco.

Weather-wise, LA is warmer and sunnier, BUT you really have to take into account that LA has worse smog than NYC, so it's a draw.

Finally, NYC is very centrally located; only a couple hours from many other big cities. Driving down the I-95 from Boston to Florida, you're never more than an hour from the nearest big city. While LA, being in the West, is quite remote. Only big city within 2 hours of LA is San Diego. Even Las Vegas is a four hour drive through a barren, desolate desert. San Francisco is a 6 hour drive through a hot, dusty, agricultural valley full of smog, enormous mechanized commercial farms, and the poorest cities in the West.

Just anywhere starting from Texas all the way to the East Coast is far more centrally located than anywhere west of Texas, and that's reason enough for me to live on the East Coast.

Seattle vs. Vancouver, BC

Old 04-02-2019, 05:45 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,582,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
NYC. Yes, LA has cheaper real estate per square foot, BUT that's missing the fact that a small Manhattan apartment is more usable, functional, and better designed than a single-family home in LA that's three times the size. Think about the Japanese obsession with making their tiny homes incredibly functional, well-designed, and usable. That's how NYC apartments are like.

Also, in NYC, I could just take dirt cheap mass transit and not own a car. In LA, owning cars are both necessary and very expensive, given California's draconian registration fees and the fact that LA has the highest gas prices in the country, besides San Francisco.

Weather-wise, LA is warmer and sunnier, BUT you really have to take into account that LA has worse smog than NYC, so it's a draw.

Finally, NYC is very centrally located; only a couple hours from many other big cities. Driving down the I-95 from Boston to Florida, you're never more than an hour from the nearest big city. While LA, being in the West, is quite remote. Only big city within 2 hours of LA is San Diego. Even Las Vegas is a four hour drive through a barren, desolate desert. San Francisco is a 6 hour drive through a hot, dusty, agricultural valley full of smog, enormous mechanized commercial farms, and the poorest cities in the West.

Just anywhere starting from Texas all the way to the East Coast is far more centrally located than anywhere west of Texas, and that's reason enough for me to live on the East Coast.

Seattle vs. Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't want to live in either, but I'll pick Seattle because it's in the U.S.

Orlando, FL or New Orleans, LA?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:05 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,208,702 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want to live in either, but I'll pick Seattle because it's in the U.S.

Orlando, FL or New Orleans, LA?
New Orleans. I just got back from my first visit and it was AWESOME! I'm sure living there is something else entirely but if my kids were out of the house and I could just get a small apartment I'd be in heaven. I wouldn't touch Orlando with a 10 ft pole.

Nashville or Atlanta?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,983,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
New Orleans. I just got back from my first visit and it was AWESOME! I'm sure living there is something else entirely but if my kids were out of the house and I could just get a small apartment I'd be in heaven. I wouldn't touch Orlando with a 10 ft pole.

Nashville or Atlanta?
Quoting another poster from another thread:

Quote:
Really, you can't go wrong with either. I'd probably give the slight edge to Atlanta. Just has more to do due to its size. Both are great, though.
Fort Meade, MD or Fort Meade, FL?

Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,999,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Quoting another poster from another thread:

Fort Meade, MD or Fort Meade, FL?
Fort Meade, Florida, because it's in Florida.

Mobile or Huntsville AL?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,582,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Fort Meade, Florida, because it's in Florida.

Mobile or Huntsville AL?
Wow, that's tough. I like that Mobile is on the coast, but I like Huntsville's tech sector and the hill in the area. I'll go with Huntsville.

Nashville, TN or Austin, TX?

Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,468,491 times
Austin cuz its in Texas

Phoenix,Arizona or Seattle,Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City