Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Birmingham, AL 44 40.74%
Rochester, NY 64 59.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:20 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,375,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
On schedule, the insecure Atlantan
Hardly man. Open your eyes....It is my opinion, I certainly have been to both and Rochester has a very dense core of NE style old neighborhoods surrounding the immediate downtown area ..Birminghan does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM

401 posts, read 537,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Hardly man. Open your eyes....It is my opinion, I certainly have been to both and Rochester has a very dense core of NE style old neighborhoods surrounding the immediate downtown area ..Birminghan does not.
Truly, what is it with Atlanta insecurity on CD? Miles ahead of everyone in the South (excluding TX and FL), and still Atlantans are largely insecure on this site.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Truly, what is it with Atlanta insecurity on CD? Miles ahead of everyone in the South (excluding TX and FL), and still Atlantans are largely insecure on this site.
What is your issue??...I am giving a opinion on the topic. I am not talking about Atlanta...

Old 08-18-2015, 03:43 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
It's pretty unfair to lump all Atlantans in the same boat here. The vast majority aren't anti-Birmingham; it's the same usual suspect(s) that pop up over and over.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's pretty unfair to lump all Atlantans in the same boat here. The vast majority aren't anti-Birmingham; it's the same usual suspect(s) that pop up over and over.
True enough. You're one of the sane. I just glanced over his recent posts. A considerable number aimed at Birmingham, making completely ridiculous statements. Something unpleasant involving Birmingham befell the guy at some point in his life. He shows up in almost every Bham thread. He's more regular than some of our regulars.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:53 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Have to disagree with this. Bham's urban core is larger and much denser than Rochester's. From the same altitude:

BHM:

Rochester:

Ehhhhhh . . .

Birmingham will surprise if given a look:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...g-area-10.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...tro-alive.html
Both cities have roughly the same population, but Rochester is 35.8 square miles and Birmingham is 146 square miles. So, Rochester has a more dense built environment.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
What is your issue??...I am giving a opinion on the topic. I am not talking about Atlanta...
Better question, what's yours?

Posts by BIGSTICK:

Alabamian Calls ATL 'Totally Out of Control' and Eroding

"Number of Fortune 500 Companies in each state:
Georgia = 17
Alabama = 1
Enough said. "

"What a complete moronic and unprofessional piece of trash article. Hell, the skyline of Buckhead is 5 times bigger that Birmingham."

"Birmingham is basically a larger Jackson, MS....Article is hilarious and moronic"

Whats the deal with Uber??

"Totally embarrassing for Birmingham. What the hell are you all going to do when the World games come there?"

What City is Getting the Third Wheel L.A. NFL Team?

"Surprised some yahoo from Birmingham has not chimed in????"

Birmingham al vs memphis tn "2015"

"Agree, neither..."

"Just another reason why Birmingham is a backwater to many people. And the article mentions Atlanta as a regional competitor, nice try. Atlanta is far from being a "regional" competitor "

The next Hub of the South

"I have been to Birmingham many countless times and coming in on 1-20 the skyline makes me sad because it is so pathetic. Sandy Springs. GA has a bigger..."

"Honestly Birmingham is a joke. It has decades to go to even remotely "catch" up to other cities even smaller. You guys get excited about an 8 story Hotel proposal."

Just screams insecurity and bitterness

Old 08-18-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Both cities have roughly the same population, but Rochester is 35.8 square miles and Birmingham is 146 square miles. So, Rochester has a more dense built environment.
As far as the metros are concerned, probably. I'm unfamiliar with metro Roc so I'll take your word for it. But as far as downtown density is concerned, I don't know how anyone can say Rochester is denser than Bham. It's fairly obvious on its face . . .

Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Better question, what's yours?

Posts by BIGSTICK:

Alabamian Calls ATL 'Totally Out of Control' and Eroding

"Number of Fortune 500 Companies in each state:
Georgia = 17
Alabama = 1
Enough said. "

"What a complete moronic and unprofessional piece of trash article. Hell, the skyline of Buckhead is 5 times bigger that Birmingham."

"Birmingham is basically a larger Jackson, MS....Article is hilarious and moronic"

"Totally embarrassing for Birmingham. What the hell are you all going to do when the World games come there?"

What City is Getting the Third Wheel L.A. NFL Team?

"Surprised some yahoo from Birmingham has not chimed in????"

Birmingham al vs memphis tn "2015"

"Agree, neither..."

"Just another reason why Birmingham is a backwater to many people. And the article mentions Atlanta as a regional competitor, nice try. Atlanta is far from being a "regional" competitor "

The next Hub of the South

"I have been to Birmingham many countless times and coming in on 1-20 the skyline makes me sad because it is so pathetic. Sandy Springs. GA has a bigger..."

"Honestly Birmingham is a joke. It has decades to go to even remotely "catch" up to other cities even smaller. You guys get excited about an 8 story Hotel proposal."

Just screams insecurity and bitterness

Speaking the truth, which you cannot, because you my friend are insecure about BHAM. Don't drag me into this because it is not necessary. Calling someone sane on here is like calling Bull Conner a host at an NAACP meeting.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:41 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
As far as the metros are concerned, probably. I'm unfamiliar with metro Roc so I'll take your word for it. But as far as downtown density is concerned, I don't know how anyone can say Rochester is denser than Bham. It's fairly obvious on its face . . .
No, that is in regards to the city limits. Rochester has as many people within a land size that is a fourth of Birmingham's land size.

Here are some pictures of the ROC skyline from a city park: Cobbs Hill Park - Rochester Wiki

Does Birmingham have any other parts of the city that have nightlife/walkability/businesses, etc outside of its Downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City