Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Birmingham, AL 44 40.74%
Rochester, NY 64 59.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:08 AM

401 posts, read 539,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wait a second...chthankgod is one of the most level-headed, congenial posters on here who doesn't pick fights at all. He merely asked a question about population density within the same square mileage for both cities to get more of an apples-to-apples comparison on that front. Everybody isn't beating up on Birmingham so you can breathe easy.
1. He asserted that Roc had a better downtown, I point out that ours is denser and more built up
2. He responded to that counter three separate times citing Roc's higher population density
3. Pop density was never discussed, never disputed. Neither were crime statistics. His responses make no sense. I'll make mention that we have better building density, he thrice responds with "yeah, but we have the same amount of people concentrated in an area a fourth the size of BHM"

Ok? That's wonderful. Completely immaterial to building density. The asked and answered is old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:01 AM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
1. He asserted that Roc had a better downtown, I point out that ours is denser and more built up
Denser and more built-up isn't better though, and keep in mind that Bham's downtown resurgence is a relatively recent phenomenon; a lot of those buildings were run-down and empty up until a few years ago. It was a valid opinion.

Quote:
2. He responded to that counter three separate times citing Roc's higher population density
He asked about populations within a similar square mileage for both cities in his last post.

Quote:
3. Pop density was never discussed, never disputed. Neither were crime statistics. His responses make no sense. I'll make mention that we have better building density, he thrice responds with "yeah, but we have the same amount of people concentrated in an area a fourth the size of BHM"

Ok? That's wonderful. Completely immaterial to building density. The asked and answered is old.
Well you've got to have people to occupy the buildings, right? The two metrics are connected.

Either way, I don't think it's a point worth getting so worked up over.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:49 AM

94,185 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Birmingham has better shopping, dining, and better all around quality of life. I've been to Rochester, it's rather depressed IMHO.

And Pittsford can't hold a candle to Mountain Brook, if you really want to go there.
Actually, the Rochester area has never lost people in terms of population and is actually quite a white collar city/area. I understand that this is about an opinion, but given information, the quality of life will depend on the topic. Shopping doesn't seem to be that much different given that the best shopping centers in both aren't that far apart in terms of size and clientele. Food is interesting given the makeup of the cities/areas and the influence on the scenes of both.

Rochester does still have the presence of companies like Xerox, Kodak and Bausch and Lomb, with other companies and the new Photonics investment.

Pittsford would fit in with high end suburbs in any metro in this country, as the median household income for its school district(about 33,000 people) is above $100,000. So, it is no slouch.

Like Mutiny77 mentioned, this is more about getting information to get an apples to apples comparison. Keep in mind that one city/area is the biggest in one state and the other is the 3rd biggest city/metro in its state. So, that may or may not be a factor.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Denser and more built-up isn't better though, and keep in mind that Bham's downtown resurgence is a relatively recent phenomenon; a lot of those buildings were run-down and empty up until a few years ago. It was a valid opinion.

He asked about populations within a similar square mileage for both cities in his last post.

Well you've got to have people to occupy the buildings, right? The two metrics are connected.

Either way, I don't think it's a point worth getting so worked up over.
Jesus

Who cares if denser is better or worse? The only point made was that we have more density. I don't care what values people assign to it, we just have more density downtown. Further, who cares if they're occupied or not? They're there, extant, brick and mortar. Many completely empty pop-up cities in China are denser than Birmingham. See how I acknowledged that? That was the entire point. Both of you wanted to make it a population question when it was purely about building density -- two unrelated concepts when considered, as here, abstractly.

My god I've wasted a lot of time belaboring a very simple and obvious point.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Jesus

Who cares if denser is better or worse? The only point made was that we have more density. I don't care what values people assign to it, we just have more density downtown. Further, who cares if they're occupied or not? They're there, extant, brick and mortar. Many completely empty pop-up cities in China are denser than Birmingham. See how I acknowledged that? That was the entire point. Both of you wanted to make it a population question when it was purely about building density -- two unrelated concepts when considered, as here, abstractly.

My god I've wasted a lot of time belaboring a very simple and obvious point.
Why do you assume that the one point you're harping on is the only valid one here? And yes, all of us assign values to metrics like density; otherwise, what's the point of having a discussion? Anyone can go to Wikipedia or any other database and look up simple statistics. Furthermore, you said you were unfamiliar with metro Rochester so you do even know firsthand that downtown Birmingham is structurally denser, or are you just going by pictures and Google streetview?

As much as you like to jump on folks who slam your city, you'd do well to not give them any more ammo.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:07 PM

There was but one point. Whether it means something to you or this thread, couldn't give two ****s. That point was:

You already know what the point was. Just like downtown KC is denser than Bham, so too is downtown Bham denser than Roc. There, end of point, nothing more to add. It's an objective fact, if you want to dissect your subjective feelings on it, go ahead, but my point was painfully simple.

I can't discuss with you any further because it's given me a migraine.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
There was but one point. Whether it means something to you or this thread, couldn't give two ****s. That point was:

You already know what the point was. Just like downtown KC is denser than Bham, so too is downtown Bham denser than Roc. There, end of point, nothing more to add. It's an objective fact, if you want to dissect your subjective feelings on it, go ahead, but my point was painfully simple.

So this whole thread revolves around one point to you...cool.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
So this whole thread revolves around one point to you...cool.
Point probably has very little bearing on the question posed by the OP. It's just an incontestable fact, and people can consider it how they will. Marrone a mi.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:16 PM

94,185 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Ok.....In terms of K-12 education and for whatever this is worth, but there are 5 Rochester area high schools on this list: http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools...h-schools-2015 (Pittsford Sutherland, Pittsford Mendon, Brighton, Penfield and Fairport)

Old 08-20-2015, 10:13 PM

7,064 posts, read 19,366,074 times
Quote:

I think some of the cross-talk is due to vocabulary. When talking to urban planners or urban studies people (urbanologists? Is that a thing?), density refers to people or population density. When talking about buildings or the built environment, the right word is intensity. I'll admit on first read a few posts back I thought you were talking about population too until I re-read the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City