Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Birmingham, AL 44 40.74%
Rochester, NY 64 59.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,327,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Again, what cuisine?
French, Creole, American, Italian, Brazilian, Vietnamese, Korean, Mediterranean, Latino, etc.

But aside from being captious, what's your point? I mean, hey, we've already provided you with a number of links on this thread about both the quality and variety of dining in the city. I mean, when Zagat's, Food & Wine, and a number of other industry organs singles your city out for the scope and quality of dining, that's not exactly faint praise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 PM

14,126 posts, read 15,179,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
French, Creole, American, Italian, Brazilian, Vietnamese, Korean, Mediterranean, Latino, etc.

But aside from being captious, what's your point? I mean, hey, we've already provided you with a number of links on this thread about both the quality and variety of dining in the city. I mean, when Zagat's, Food & Wine, and a number of other industry organs singles your city out for the scope and quality of dining, that's not exactly faint praise.
You posted one link twice.
Does Birmingham have a signature dish like the Garbage Plate?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You posted one link twice.
Does Birmingham have a signature dish like the Garbage Plate?
Seriously? You're reduced to that as an argument? One dish? Kind of like Tomato pie? Hoppin' John? Fried green tomatoes?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM

94,378 posts, read 125,347,375 times
More museums in the Rochester area: Museums - Rochester Wiki

Old 06-15-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously? You're reduced to that as an argument? One dish? Kind of like Tomato pie? Hoppin' John? Fried green tomatoes?
Fried Green Tomatoes, and those other things are general southern food is not a Birmingham dish, that is southern.
I am actually curious is Birmingham has something you can't find anywhere else, like a Garbage Plate, that is something I had never heard of until I went to Rochester for the first time.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 PM

I'm also wondering what Birmingham has in comparison to Rochester for outdoor recreation.
Within the City Rochester has the Erie Canal and Genesee River Trails. It also has a beach on Lake Ontario.
You can boat on the Genesee but there is two waterfalls and a dam along the River in Downtown Rochester that splits the river into two navigable parts.
Also about 45 minutes South of Rochester, up the Genesee there is Letchworth State Park, known as the Grand Canyon of the east, which is amazing for hiking and such.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:47 PM

561 posts, read 579,992 times
Quote:
Fried Green Tomatoes, and those other things are general southern food is not a Birmingham dish, that is southern.
I am actually curious is Birmingham has something you can't find anywhere else, like a Garbage Plate, that is something I had never heard of until I went to Rochester for the first time.
The closest thing I would think of is a Birmingham hotdog. A lot of the food culture in Birmingham is tied to Greek immigrants when the city was first founded. In order to meet the demands of the customers at the time, the Greeks started making southern barbecue. So there's different degrees of fusion between Mediterranean and Southern for the city's more traditional fare. (Many, if not most, of the city's favorite barbecue joints are still owned by Greeks.) Taziki's and Zoe's Kitchen are two casual food-chains that started in Birmingham (If you're ever in Birmingham, Purple Onion is the best casual Greek chain, imo.).

Birmingham's more gourmet food starts with Frank Stitt in the early 80's, which more of a merger of Southern + French. Many of the other restaurants were started by chefs who were influenced by Stitt.

Edit: For outdoor stuff there's Ruffner Mountain and Red Mountain Park within the city limits. Oak Mountain and Tannehill are a few miles outside the beltline as well. There's canoeing on the Cahaba, but there's not much heavier use for ecological concerns (It's quite biodiverse with many endangered species.).

Last edited by Nemean; 06-15-2016 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Outdoor stuff

Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
The closest thing I would think of is a Birmingham hotdog. A lot of the food culture in Birmingham is tied to Greek immigrants when the city was first founded. In order to meet the demands of the customers at the time, the Greeks started making southern barbecue. So there's different degrees of fusion between Mediterranean and Southern for the city's more traditional fare. (Many, if not most, of the city's favorite barbecue joints are still owned by Greeks.) Taziki's and Zoe's Kitchen are two casual food-chains that started in Birmingham (If you're ever in Birmingham, Purple Onion is the best casual Greek chain, imo.).

Birmingham's more gourmet food starts with Frank Stitt in the early 80's, which more of a merger of Southern + French. Many of the other restaurants were started by chefs who were influenced by Stitt.

Edit: For outdoor stuff there's Ruffner Mountain and Red Mountain Park within the city limits. Oak Mountain and Tannehill are a few miles outside the beltline as well. There's canoeing on the Cahaba, but there's not much heavier use for ecological concerns (It's quite biodiverse with many endangered species.).
Birmingham certainly does have an impressive array of City parks.
How about festivals/events?
Rochester's largest festivals are the Lilac Festival in May and Jazz Fest in June/July. Both draw 100,000s into Rochester.
There is an array of smaller festivals throughout the year, mostly in the warmer months.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I'm also wondering what Birmingham has in comparison to Rochester for outdoor recreation.
Within the City Rochester has the Erie Canal and Genesee River Trails. It also has a beach on Lake Ontario.
You can boat on the Genesee but there is two waterfalls and a dam along the River in Downtown Rochester that splits the river into two navigable parts.
Also about 45 minutes South of Rochester, up the Genesee there is Letchworth State Park, known as the Grand Canyon of the east, which is amazing for hiking and such.
The deepest canyon in the eastern half of the United States is sixty minutes from Birmingham, otherwise known as Little River Canyon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little...ional_Preserve). Three national forests, a host of state parks, three sprawling lakes, rivers, mountains, the Alabama River Trail, Locust Fork, Horsepens Forty, and the Gulf four hours away. I'm pretty sure those are equal. Plus we have an outdoor season that essentially lasts all year long. https://rootsrated.com/birmingham-al

Festivals? No shortage there, either. This list only hits the highlights. http://birminghamal.org/events/2016-...ham-festivals/

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-16-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 03:08 PM

94,378 posts, read 125,347,375 times
Quote:
Birmingham certainly does have an impressive array of City parks.
How about festivals/events?
Rochester's largest festivals are the Lilac Festival in May and Jazz Fest in June/July. Both draw 100,000s into Rochester.
There is an array of smaller festivals throughout the year, mostly in the warmer months.
Yeah, I think Cobbs Hill Park may be the closest thing to those in Rochester.

Rochester does have the Erie Canal towns(villages of Pittsford, Fairport, Spencerport and Brockport) where there are cruises, boating and walkability within each of these smaller communities.

High Falls in Downtown Rochester is something that is pretty unique as well. There is also the Lower Falls within city limits: Lower Falls - Rochester Wiki

Middle Falls - Rochester Wiki

High Falls - Rochester Wiki

All are in the Genesee River.

More waterfalls: Waterfalls - Rochester Wiki

You also have a community like Webster and neighborhoods next to Lake Ontario as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-16-2016 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City