Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:07 AM

641 posts, read 805,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've heard people from Alabama say NC isn't the "real South" so what you're saying doesn't amount to much in terms of differences of opinion. And there are plenty of folks in the Deep South that have kicked Virginia out of the South altogether. There are varying shades and hues of Southern culture and no one states defines it all.

And it is YOU who are mistaken if you think Texas has more in common with states it doesn't border, like Arizona, than states it actually borders, like Louisiana and Arkansas. You're clearly cherry-picking here.

As far as your last statement goes, there are plenty of Texans who believe their state is rightfully categorized as Southern although they recognize the various regional influences present in their state.
Your mind is set. No reasoning with you. But I would guarantee you that at least 40% or over 10 million TX residents outside the east tx region and Houston metro would not consider the state "the south."

You'd be hard pressed to find that many residents of real southern states, number wise and % wise, who believe their state can't be labeled "the south". Talk to residents of TN, NC, SC, GA, MS, AL,AR and ask them if their state is southern. They wouldn't deny it. Who cares what AL thinks about NC. What does NC think of NC. Seeing that a lot of NC transplants are from the south, mid atlantic and east coast, they'd still label NC as the south.

Outside the metros, NC is undeniably southern. Outside Houston&east TX, the rest of TX isn't. One city (Ft Worth) even has a motto of "its where the west begins." According to you, city officials must be confused southerners trying to act like westerners. And no cherry picking going on, that map of east tx shows you who has more in common with AR, LA. The rest of the state have more in common with southwesterners, midwesterners, and mexico.

Try living here before you lump us in and slap the label "the south" on the state of tx. It's amusing that people want to claim majority of TX as "the south" but it isn't nor does it care to be. You don't even live in TX so your opinion means nothing to someone who actually experiences tx lifestyle everyday and have previous experiences with NC, SC, and GA to pickup up on the drastic differences.

Last edited by FJB327; 11-14-2015 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 07:11 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,381,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Not true. A massive chunk of Atlanta's transplants are from other Southern states. And a majority of the transplants to Atlanta are African American, who have their roots in the south.

Atlanta is still a firmly southern city. Florida is overwhelmingly northern and Latin America transplants. Completely different people from what atlanta mostly gets.

Tampa bay, a metro half Atlanta's size, has more Midwesterners livig there than Atlanta. And I heard a LOT of southern accents when I was in Atlanta.
Damn, how did you get so smart? That is why daily, I count masses of cars in Atlanta from MA,PA, NY, IL, MI, OH, WI, MN, CA TX, and especially FL.

Last edited by bigstick; 11-14-2015 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-14-2015, 07:18 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,341,950 times
Quote:
Florida has far more in common with the people of Ohio/Wisconsin, than it does with people in Arkansas or Mississippi. Climate has nothing to do with it.

Culturally, florida is its own thing though. There is no other state in the same category. It is its own culture.
The fact you come from a family of midwest transplants and you have lived in florida all of a whopping twenty something years, I dont put much into your opinion. I went to school in florida, have family that has been there since the 1950s and I would never make blanket assumptions about a state as different in all of its regions as florida

One thing I will say , the day florida starts voting like ohio and wisconsin and less like texas and alabama and georgia , your wishes and crazy dreams may come true. It probably wont happen in your lifetime but maybe more transplants and liberals from the northeast and midwest will make it happen. Florida and the snow and rust belt really dont have alot in common other than your family and alot of middle class and working class midwestern transplants on the southwest coast

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-14-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 AM

37,921 posts, read 42,154,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Your mind is set. No reasoning with you. But I would guarantee you that at least 40% or over 10 million TX residents outside the east tx region and Houston metro would not consider the state "the south."

You'd be hard pressed to find that many residents of real southern states, number wise and % wise, who believe their state can't be labeled "the south". Talk to residents of TN, NC, SC, GA, MS, AL,AR and ask them if their state is southern. They wouldn't deny it. Who cares what AL thinks about NC. What does NC think of NC. Seeing that a lot of NC transplants are from the south, mid atlantic and east coast, they'd still label NC as the south.

Outside the metros, NC is undeniably southern. Outside Houston&east TX, the rest of TX isn't. One city (Ft Worth) even has a motto of "its where the west begins." According to you, city officials must be confused southerners trying to act like westerners. And no cherry picking going on, that map of east tx shows you who has more in common with AR, LA. The rest of the state have more in common with southwesterners, midwesterners, and mexico.

Try living here before you lump us in and slap the label "the south" on the state of tx. It's amusing that people want to claim majority of TX as "the south" but it isn't nor does it care to be. You don't even live in TX so your opinion means nothing to someone who actually experiences tx lifestyle everyday and have previous experiences with NC, SC, and GA to pickup up on the drastic differences.
Here, knock yourself out: https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...art-south.html

And don't just look at the poll numbers, but see the responses of Texans themselves, particularly natives whose roots run deep in the state.

Now back to the actual topic at hand.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Damn, how did you get so smart? That is why daily, I count masses of cars in Atlanta form MA,PA, NY, IL, MI, OH, WI, MN, CA TX, and especially FL.
Lol. Don't you hate when someone tries and tell you what your city/state is about without ever living there. Atlanta is different. It's still a southern city like Houston (which ai just learned). GA is still a southern state. But Atl and Houston won't feel southern like Birmingham or Jackson bc they are big, heavily populated cities. You'll have less accents, more transplants, and more ethnic diversity in big cities.

I for one don't believe dialects are a determining factor of whether your in the south or not. Ever heard Randy Moss talk. Check out his high school interviews. I thought he was from Alabama or Mississippi the 1st time I heard him

Old 11-14-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here, knock yourself out: https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...art-south.html

And don't just look at the poll numbers, but see the responses of Texans themselves, particularly natives whose roots run deep in the state.

Now back to the actual topic at hand.
Thanks for proving my point!!

First, CD isnt a scientific poll and who knows if they were all texans. Most importantly, "the south" was voted on by 93 people. 90 other ppl classified TX as: Cant be classified, southwest, midwest, or western.

Your only rebuttal has made my case stronger. Now do a poll on GA, AR, LA, MS, SC, TN, and NC. I bet you won't have close to 50% of respondents calling the states region anything besides "the south."

Again, try actually living here before you try and tell a Texas resident what his state is classified as.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:50 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,341,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Damn, how did you get so smart? That is why daily, I count masses of cars in Atlanta form MA,PA, NY, IL, MI, OH, WI, MN, CA TX, and especially FL.
that poster happiness is close has never been out of his state or probably his own county and seems to live in some sort self created dreamworld, very odd. He doesnt know anything about florida, much less any other states. Any one can do a simple google search and see the huge northern and rust belt and even florida migration patterns into Atlanta.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

This was from 2009 , it slowed down for awhile but atlanta has really picked back up.

Migrants From New York, Florida and
California Choose Atlanta

"Net migration between the top 10 states (“top” meaning
most net migration into the Atlanta area) and the 20 area counties.
Between 2000 and 2009, the top “origin” state – where people are
moving from – was New York.

More than 60,247 more people moved
from New York to the 20-counties than vice versa.

This is also true
of Florida (+55,500), California (+25,800) and New Jersey (+22,700).

Gwinnett attracted more than 63,200 new residents from different
states between 2000 and 2009, including 17,800 from New York alone,
tops in the region. Next are Fulton (+61,800) Cobb (+45,800),and
DeKalb (+32,500).

Old 11-14-2015, 08:33 AM

20,531 posts, read 33,644,639 times
Texas really doesn't have more in common with any state. Only the areas it borders is where you see a similarity. For instance, Houston has virtually nothing in common with Oklahoma or New Mexico. But it does with Louisiana. DFW has more in common with Oklahoma. But hardly much of Louisiana. El Paso has nothing in common with Louisiana and Oklahoma. But it does with New Mexico and perhaps Arizona. Austin and San Antonio has nothing in common with either of the bordered states. Outside of far Northeast Texas, Arkansas doesn't have many similarities with the rest of the state. But just saying Texas is a state that you cannot pigeonhole. Majority of the people of Texas will say it's Southern. However, what you will get in Texas that you will not get in other Southern states is there is a segment of the population even born and raised that will say they are not Southern.

But back to the topic.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas really doesn't have more in common with any state. Only the areas it borders is where you see a similarity. For instance, Houston has virtually nothing in common with Oklahoma or New Mexico. But it does with Louisiana. DFW has more in common with Oklahoma. But hardly much of Louisiana. El Paso has nothing in common with Louisiana and Oklahoma. But it does with New Mexico and perhaps Arizona. Austin and San Antonio has nothing in common with either of the bordered states. Outside of far Northeast Texas, Arkansas doesn't have many similarities with the rest of the state. But just saying Texas is a state that you cannot pigeonhole. Majority of the people of Texas will say it's Southern. However, what you will get in Texas that you will not get in other Southern states is there is a segment of the population even born and raised that will say they are not Southern.

But back to the topic.
Thank you! Which is why I'm one of those TX residents who say TX is TX or at most, southwestern. You get "southern feel" going westbound on I20 from ATL up until you reach Terell. I cant consider anything west of that point on I20 as culturally southern.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:47 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,431,129 times
Quote:
Florida has far more in common with the people of Ohio/Wisconsin, than it does with people in Arkansas or Mississippi. Climate has nothing to do with it.

Culturally, florida is its own thing though. There is no other state in the same category. It is its own culture.
If anything, outside of transplants, Birmingham, Memphis and Louisville are the only cities in the South that have anything of a Midwest feel, and in vice-versa (Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City