Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:58 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,795,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
To me, for one thing, people who are from other parts of the country who move to Houston tend to adapt to Houston and Gulf culture, whereas the people who have been moving to Dallas seem to be trying to turn Dallas into the places they moved from (especially the Californians). And like I said before, that mostly probably has to do with the fact that most Houston transplants tend to come from other parts of the South versus the droves of Californians and all of the other people from other non-Southern regions of the U.S., who are very obviously moving to and very rapidly changing the culture of Dallas.
I agree because Houston might as be Louisiana; there are so many Louisianans here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:15 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,906,523 times
Quote:
Some folks on City-Data act like any and everyhing South of the NYC tri-state area is Southern. In real life, I never hear anybody claiming that DC is a Southern city. And as you pointed out, when you go to DC, most people there will very adamantly tell you that DC is not a Southern city. Heck, real life people who live in the South and who have been to DC will even tell you that DC is a Northern/East Coast city to them and looks and feels nothing like the South to them. People on City-Data seem to have a hard time accepting all of this for some odd reason, though.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
To me, Atlanta is so New Yorkish, especially in the black community. LOL. Houston is just soooo country to me for a big city; it literally feels like a big small town.
This is false. Atlanta is nothing like NYC.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 PM

741 posts, read 1,114,572 times
Quote:
Some folks on City-Data act like any and everyhing South of the NYC tri-state area is Southern. In real life, I never hear anybody claiming that DC is a Southern city. And as you pointed out, when you go to DC, most people there will very adamantly tell you that DC is not a Southern city. Heck, real life people who live in the South and who have been to DC will even tell you that DC is a Northern/East Coast city to them and looks and feels nothing like the South to them. People on City-Data seem to have a hard time accepting all of this for some odd reason, though.
The "DC is a Southern city" view is in the minority though. The polls, that have been done ad nauseum on city-data, show the opposite.

So, no worries on that.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,795,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
This is true.

This is false. Atlanta is nothing like NYC.
So defensive. I'm highlighting the NY migration to Atlanta.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:53 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,906,523 times
Quote:
Not defensive in anyway, just calling out your earlier hyperbole.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:30 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,107,848 times
Quote:
I scratched my head on that one too. Atlanta does have quite a bit of NY migration, but like Houston, most of Atlanta's migration is still Southern, so it's culture as a Southern city is still very well set and defined to the point where people who move there adapt to Atlanta's culture and not the other way around.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
The "DC is a Southern city" view is in the minority though. The polls, that have been done ad nauseum on city-data, show the opposite.

So, no worries on that.
True, but it's still a very loud and annoying minority.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Houston is just soooo country to me for a big city; it literally feels like a big small town.
Yeah, Houston is like one HUGE sprawling small country town that often feels more like it's in Louisiana than Texas, IMO.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,628 times
Quote:
Yeah, Houston is like one HUGE sprawling small country town that often feels more like it's in Louisiana than Texas, IMO.
Nonsense. I bet you had some really good stuff in your pipe this morning.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,763,589 times
Quote:
Im not sure if thats quite fair though. Houston does feel more "big city" than Dallas on a macro level for sure. Dallas feels more "big city" on a micro level though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City