Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:45 PM

4,456 posts, read 6,351,161 times

Advertisements

5. ATL
4. Houston
3. Dallas
2. DC (VA and MD are very Southern)
1. MIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 PM

20,540 posts, read 33,686,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
5. ATL
4. Houston
3. Dallas
1. MIA
I wouldn’t say MD is very southern.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,216 posts, read 7,676,128 times
Quote:
5. ATL
4. Houston
3. Dallas
1. MIA
Lol. I chuckled at the thought of a Miami local (especially blacks) calling someone from MD more Southern, lol.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:32 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,229,900 times
Quote:
5. ATL
4. Houston
3. Dallas
1. MIA
LMFAO...no, no, no, NO they are not...There is nothing "very southern" about Northern Virginia - which is totally different from the rest of the state - or Suburban Maryland. And Maryland's southerness is debated as much as Texas and Florida, if not more. My relatives from the Deep South think of Maryland as "Up North," while people from New York and New England think of it as "The South." As a resident of Maryland, I just call it Mid-Atlantic because there are too many elements of both the North and South here.

- Former resident of Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee

Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,864,650 times
Maryland reminded me of parts of New Jersey when I visited.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,864,650 times
Texas is debated because the state is so HUGE. You have to be very specific about which area in Texas you're referring to as southern.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 AM

5,913 posts, read 5,724,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
LMFAO...no, no, no, NO they are not...There is nothing "very southern" about Northern Virginia - which is totally different from the rest of the state - or Suburban Maryland. And Maryland's southerness is debated as much as Texas and Florida, if not more. My relatives from the Deep South think of Maryland as "Up North," while people from New York and New England think of it as "The South." As a resident of Maryland, I just call it Mid-Atlantic because there are too many elements of both the North and South here.

- Former resident of Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee
Northern Virginia is only "totally different" from certain parts of the state. There are Nova-esque elements of psuedo-urban, hyper-suburbia in both Central Virginia (Far West End Richmond/Short Pump) and Southside Hampton Roads. There are elements of more normal suburban, even rural parts of Nova, in Charlottesville, Culpeper, etc...

The limited spaces if true urban form in Northern Virginia is pretty much limited to Alexandria, a slice if Arlington, and an even smaller slice of Fairfax. The core if Richmond City is larger than the entire ****ing city of Alexandria, which is nothing more than "DC South", and being that there are several similarities between DC and Richmond, it stands to reason that Alexandria can't be "totally different" from Richmond...and Old Towne Alexandria is thought by some to have strong resemblance to its counterparts in Portsmouth and Petersburg...

There is tons of cultural crossover between Northern Virginia and Greater Richmond. Universities aand education, arts and music, trips and destinations, shopping, etc. The general accent heard in Northern Virginia is not one different from that of Richmond City and its immediate suburbs, nor truly different from that of the Williamsburg-Jamestown area, or parts of the Southside Tidewater (Virginia Beach, some of Norfolk)...

NoVa is one of the few mega-suburbs in the country. It borders a global city and this has the amenities and daily functions of a large metropolis, without being home to a major city itself in its proper....That's what is totally different about NoVa. There is an "Urban Virginia" subculture that is evident in the other urbanized regions, and any Virginian who would say it isn't obviously has little to no intimate knowledge of areas outside of Nova...

I'm so tired of this board trying to seperate NoVa from Virginia. This is not an accurate reflection of reality, as I've never witnessed this in my personal life, like, ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Maryland reminded me of parts of New Jersey when I visited.
Maryland has elements of every single state it borders, and though it doesn't border Jersey, there are some links there--they both border Delaware and PA so it stands to reason they share some things. Jersey definitely isn't the state Maryland most resembles, though...

Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,229,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Northern Virginia is only "totally different" from certain parts of the state. There are Nova-esque elements of psuedo-urban, hyper-suburbia in both Central Virginia (Far West End Richmond/Short Pump) and Southside Hampton Roads. There are elements of more normal suburban, even rural parts of Nova, in Charlottesville, Culpeper, etc...

The limited spaces if true urban form in Northern Virginia is pretty much limited to Alexandria, a slice if Arlington, and an even smaller slice of Fairfax. The core if Richmond City is larger than the entire ****ing city of Alexandria, which is nothing more than "DC South", and being that there are several similarities between DC and Richmond, it stands to reason that Alexandria can't be "totally different" from Richmond...and Old Towne Alexandria is thought by some to have strong resemblance to its counterparts in Portsmouth and Petersburg...

There is tons of cultural crossover between Northern Virginia and Greater Richmond. Universities aand education, arts and music, trips and destinations, shopping, etc. The general accent heard in Northern Virginia is not one different from that of Richmond City and its immediate suburbs, nor truly different from that of the Williamsburg-Jamestown area, or parts of the Southside Tidewater (Virginia Beach, some of Norfolk)...

NoVa is one of the few mega-suburbs in the country. It borders a global city and this has the amenities and daily functions of a large metropolis, without being home to a major city itself in its proper....That's what is totally different about NoVa. There is an "Urban Virginia" subculture that is evident in the other urbanized regions, and any Virginian who would say it isn't obviously has little to no intimate knowledge of areas outside of Nova...

I'm so tired of this board trying to seperate NoVa from Virginia. This is not an accurate reflection of reality, as I've never witnessed this in my personal life, like, ever...
You seem upset.

Maybe "Totally Different" was an exaggeration since I do see similarities to NOVA and the rest of the urban parts of the state, so on that, I do agree. You were so busy typing all of those words that you missed my point that I was responding to the poster that NOVA is not "very southern." I'd argue the same for Hampton Roads and Richmond - although they're more southern to me than NOVA. Also, I know you're a native Virginian, but I've heard the whole NOVA vs. ROVA ("Rest of Virginia") arguments from other Native Virginians - although a lot of them are from SW VA, which probably feels alienated and isolated from the more populated parts of the state along 95 and 64.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:55 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,722,316 times
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
DC
Miami

Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,131,891 times
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
DC
Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City