Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:39 AM

53 posts, read 52,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So every transplant heavy city in the South is no longer Southern?

By the way, I know plenty of natives and current residents of Jacksonville who do not hesitate to say it is Southern.
Jacksonville is a Florida city with southern undertones. Florida has a distinct culture than the rest of the southern US with it's history, customs, demographics, etc.

Is Jacksonville southern compared to Orlando or West Palm Beach? Sure, I can see that. Is Jacksonville southern like Birmingham or Charleston? Absolutely not.

Just because Jacksonville is conservative by Florida standards and as a high Baptist population doesn't mean it's full blown southern and everyone goes around claiming to be a southerner. It's a Florida city at heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,815,698 times
Quote:
Such as?
I'm assuming he's referring to Chicago to Detroit which you know have lots of migrants from the south and retain some of those cultural elements even today.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:52 AM

37,924 posts, read 42,172,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
Jacksonville is a Florida city with southern undertones. Florida has a distinct culture than the rest of the southern US with it's history, customs, demographics, etc.

Is Jacksonville southern compared to Orlando or West Palm Beach? Sure, I can see that. Is Jacksonville southern like Birmingham or Charleston? Absolutely not.

Just because Jacksonville is conservative by Florida standards and as a high Baptist population doesn't mean it's full blown southern and everyone goes around claiming to be a southerner. It's a Florida city at heart.
Being a Florida city and being a Southern city are not mutually exclusive.

Just because a city isn't Southern like X or Y city doesn't mean it's not actually Southern. And Charleston is actually more similar to Jacksonville than Birmingham, so I guess it's not really Southern either.

But anyway, we're digressing; none of these cities are the topic of discussion.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm assuming he's referring to Chicago to Detroit which you know have lots of migrants from the south and retain some of those cultural elements even today.
That's two cities. He said "many" so I'm expecting a pretty extensive list and calling either of those cities "far northern" is pretty debatable. I'd apply that term to the Upper Midwest and New England and neither would fit the bill.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Being a Florida city and being a Southern city are not mutually exclusive.

Just because a city isn't Southern like X or Y city doesn't mean it's not actually Southern. And Charleston is actually more similar to Jacksonville than Birmingham, so I guess it's not really Southern either.

But anyway, we're digressing; none of these cities are the topic of discussion.
Jacksonville and Charleston similar? Charleston is a small, historic city full of charming older homes and buildings. Jacksonville is the largest city by landmass with high skycrapers and home of well-to-do private sector business like BoA headquarters and Mayo Clinic. Jax is also home to three fortune 500 companies and an NFL team. The cities aren't even comparable when it comes to amenities and demographics.

I can see some similarities between Charleston and St. Augustine with it's historic district, but not Jax and Charleston.

I never said Birmingham and Charleston are similar, but they are inevitably more southern than Jax.

I stand by what I say as a resident of the Jax metro. Jax is a Florida city with a southern tone rather than just distinctly southern. Florida has a mutually distinct culture than the rest of the southern US.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
Jacksonville and Charleston similar? Charleston is a small, historic city full of charming older homes and buildings. Jacksonville is the largest city by landmass with high skycrapers and home of well-to-do private sector business like BoA headquarters and Mayo Clinic. Jax is also home to three fortune 500 companies and an NFL team. The cities aren't even comparable when it comes to amenities and demographics.

I can see some similarities between Charleston and St. Augustine with it's historic district, but not Jax and Charleston.

I never said Birmingham and Charleston are similar, but they are inevitably more southern than Jax.

I stand by what I say as a resident of the Jax metro. Jax is a Florida city with a southern tone rather than just distinctly southern. Florida has a mutually distinct culture than the rest of the southern US.
I'm leaving this right where it is because all of these posts will get deleted since they are off-topic.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Getting back to topic, none of these cities are southern other than Atlanta since it resides in Georgia.

I'm baffled when people call Texas the south. Like Florida, it does have southern influences in some regions but Texas to me has it's own distinct culture with it's history and demographics.

Florida has already been discussed here. Northern Florida has some southern undertones but the state historically has little to no ties with the south. As stated, Miami was established by northerners as a tourist destination.

As other posters stated, Houston has more Cajun influences than mainstream southern influences. I never lived there, but from visiting my cousin and hearing her input, Dallas seems to have more influence from southern great plain states rather than southeastern US.

I don't know who would ever think DC is more southern than Atlanta at this day in age.

A better comparison would be Atlanta vs. Raleigh, Nashville, and Richmond. Those cities all reside in true southern culture states and have a lot of transplants from other regions.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,176 posts, read 7,640,922 times
Quote:
Such as?
Milwaukee, WI.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Milwaukee, WI.
That's one (and I can't attest to the validity of Milwaukee since I've never been there). I'm waiting for this extensive list of "many far northern cities."

Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,572,555 times
Hmm, so if Florida isn't Southern, what is it then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City