Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
Tell me which region in the deep south you find large South American, Puerto Rican, and Jewish populations, a tropical environment offering an abundance of water activities, restaurants that serve Cuban coffee and key lime pie, and Spanish stucco architecture. Then I'll accept that Florida doesn't have it's own culture but rather just an extension of southern culture.
Florida has its own culture within the geographical South, just like other parts of the South--Texas, south Louisiana, the Lowcountry, etc.

But I don't get your point about golf being something "different" from Southern culture. Golf is huge in coastal SC and NC (and even a bit inland in NC, such as the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area) and has been for a while now, even before the current influx of transplants. And of course, there's Augusta National.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 09:25 AM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In a way it's of the contemporary South...the contemporary urban South specifically. I say that because downtown DC in particular feels pretty new (even the old stuff); to add fuel to the fire, in some ways downtown DC feels like a shorter, denser version of uptown Charlotte and feels less northern than Fairlie-Poplar in downtown Atlanta.

I'll sit back and wait to get pelted by tomatoes LOL.
Not sure if I've been to Fairlie-Poplar, but I generally agree with this. There are parallels to be made with DC and other large southern cities, more than enough, so I'll wait on the tomato pelting with you haha...

Old 12-28-2017, 09:27 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,701,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Not sure if I've been to Fairlie-Poplar, but I generally agree with this. There are parallels to be made with DC and other large southern cities, more than enough, so I'll wait on the tomato pelting with you haha...
Lol, there shouldn't be any tomato pelting =) DC isn't 100% Northern in identity so it's safe to say it can feel Southern as well.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

To add to this.... In a way, isn't this just on a macro scale of gentrification of neighborhoods? When an influx of said group comes into an area and once you hit a certain threshold/mass of enough people, you start to reshape and change the areas identity. This results in the identities and characteristics of the group that was pusheD out being marginalized and/or only existing in small pockets.
I am curious to know what you guys think about the above though.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 AM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
We're on the same page. I don't think of DC being a "northern" as Philly or Boston. Also, I think NYC is seen as a separate identity most of the time and gets lumped into "NorthEast" as needed. Usually people speak of NYC in separates.

Also, most of the residents that move into DC are MD and VA but the remainder are made up mostly from Northeastern states along with CA, TX, WA and FL.

https://www.scribd.com/document/2399...f-DC-Residents
According to your link, the places Wasingtonians most come from:

1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. New York
4. California
5. Florida
6. Massachusetts
7. Pennsylvania
8. North Carolina
9. Texas
10. Illinois

Where do you see "mostly" Northeastern states? The Top 10 in-migration are 5 southern states, 3 Northeastern, 1 Western and 1 Midwest. The Top 10 by out-migration:

1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. New York
4. California
5. Florida
6. North Carolina
7. Texas
8. Pennsylvania
9. Massachusetts
10. Illinois

Same exact Top 10 with different order on the back half. DC being "mostly" made up of northerners is largely a myth...

Old 12-28-2017, 09:45 AM

53 posts, read 51,879 times
Quote:
Florida has its own culture within the geographical South, just like other parts of the South--Texas, south Louisiana, the Lowcountry, etc.

But I don't get your point about golf being something "different" from Southern culture. Golf is huge in coastal SC and NC (and even a bit inland in NC, such as the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area) and has been for a while now, even before the current influx of transplants. And of course, there's Augusta National.
You're right in that golf is not unique to FL culture as it's popular in the Carolinas too. However, FL is consistently ranked the #1 state for golf courses and tournaments, home of the World Golf Hall of Fame, and many PGA tour pros reside in FL due to it's high quality amenities, making it more ingrained in the local culture in my opinion.

One of the biggest components that separates Florida from southern culture is mannerism. Southern culture is known for it's hospitality, friendliness and small talk to strangers. Many Floridians, while usually polite and somewhat friendly, do not typically display that kind of openness to visitors. Of course this isn't absolute and there are some places you do find this in FL. However, it is much less the norm here. When I visited Nashville, I clearly saw this trait, something you don't really find as a visitor when you're in Orlando or Tampa.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Here are some streetviews of Fairlie-Poplar, which is Atlanta's original downtown--largely shaped by Northern industrialists:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7566...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7557...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7558...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
I am curious to know what you guys think about the above though.
I can agree with that, except it also extends to new construction in the suburbs.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
According to your link, the places Wasingtonians most come from:

1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. New York
4. California
5. Florida
6. Massachusetts
7. Pennsylvania
8. North Carolina
9. Texas
10. Illinois

Where do you see "mostly" Northeastern states? The Top 10 in-migration are 5 southern states, 3 Northeastern, 1 Western and 1 Midwest. The Top 10 by out-migration:

1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. New York
4. California
5. Florida
6. North Carolina
7. Texas
8. Pennsylvania
9. Massachusetts
10. Illinois

Same exact Top 10 with different order on the back half. DC being "mostly" made up of northerners is largely a myth...
I think we're seeing dividing states differently and I was counting Illinois as "north". But if the numbers are more even then I had thought then culturally the Northerners seem to be having a stronger influence.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
You're right in that golf is not unique to FL culture as it's popular in the Carolinas too. However, FL is consistently ranked the #1 state for golf courses and tournaments, home of the World Golf Hall of Fame, and many PGA tour pros reside in FL due to it's high quality amenities, making it more ingrained in the local culture in my opinion.
I get that, but I guess I don't see golf as something totally different from Southern culture. Now had you said hockey, I could see that.

Quote:
One of the biggest components that separates Florida from southern culture is mannerism. Southern culture is known for it's hospitality, friendliness and small talk to strangers. Many Floridians, while usually polite and somewhat friendly, do not typically display that kind of openness to visitors. Of course this isn't absolute and there are some places you do find this in FL. However, it is much less the norm here. When I visited Nashville, I clearly saw this trait, something you don't really find as a visitor when you're in Orlando or Tampa.
I've found that as a visitor to Jacksonville on more than one occasion.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Here are some streetviews of Fairlie-Poplar, which is Atlanta's original downtown--largely shaped by Northern industrialists:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7566...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7557...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7558...7i13312!8i6656

I can agree with that, except it also extends to new construction in the suburbs.
Fairlie-Poplar looks like parts of inner Arlington.

Not sure what you mean by the macro scale of gentrification to cities extending to new construction though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City