Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thanksgiving vacation
Atlanta 28 40.00%
Philly 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

But all of this talk of there being more to do in Philly? It's just nonsense. There is PLENTY to do in Atlanta for a visiting family all year long. Of the 35 million people that visit Atlanta each year (vs the 30 million that visit Philly), do people really think they just mill around doing nothing in their hotel rooms?
There is plenty to do in ATL but lets not pretend everyone is going to visit the city for just leisure reasons, a large portion of visitors are going to conventions and the coca cola world. Philly is a much more dynamic city and a better spot for a family on Thanksgiving. Park the car and walk around. There is also the Phlash bus if you get tired of walking that goes in a loop right around downtown. Here is a run down of places that are open to eat: Thanksgiving Dinner at Philadelphia Restaurants — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM

385 posts, read 400,701 times
Quote:
The average temperature in Atlanta that time of year is about the same as Philly. In ATL, the average is 60 for the high, 41 for the low and it's usually colder than that. In Philly, the average is 56 for the high and 36 for the low, so not that different. I don't know why people think Atlanta has tropical weather year round. It isn't in Florida. LOL

That might be true...but usually there is always a chillier chill here. But there is just a energy here during that time and during the season that I can't explain. I don't know whenever I think about moving somewhere I get so freaked out like when it comes to thanksgiving and Christmas I'm like I don't want to go anywhere were it is warm during those holidays or know snow. Not saying it snows every on Christmas or anything...but its just that feeling in me growing up that's what we knew living here. Turkey Day, and Christmas it's cold as hell and decorations is the NORM .

Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
If you like walkable cities, then I recommend paying Philadelphia a visit. Parts of it can be pretty vibrant outside and really nice streets. However, that can be a little different come winter, but if you're okay with that, do it. Atlanta will be warmer of course. If you went to Philadelphia you'd probably spend most of your time in Center City, which is pretty nice and as far as downtowns go, among the top 7 in the country for sure.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:22 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not necessary true in terms of peak time.

Also, accounting for Philadelphia's suburban areas, I can guarantee you that there is a considerable tree canopy in the Philly area.

I'm not claiming that Fall isn't enjoyable in Atlanta, but there is a certain energy in Philly--especially with the college population returning to school, tons of little neighborhood festivals, and the scene of foliage juxtaposed with historic neighborhoods--that is hard to replicate elsewhere.
That video concentrated on Rittenhouse Sq. And for odd reasons spent too much footage on back alleys. It never showed anything in Fairmount Park, Boat House Row for instance. It didn't bother with showing any tree canopy in University, Chestnut Hill, East Falls, Mt Airy, etc.

If I didn't live in Philly, I wouldn't be impressed with what it shows and our Fall season.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There is plenty to do in ATL but lets not pretend everyone is going to visit the city for just leisure reasons, a large portion of visitors are going to conventions and the coca cola world. Philly is a much more dynamic city and a better spot for a family on Thanksgiving. Park the car and walk around. There is also the Phlash bus if you get tired of walking that goes in a loop right around downtown. Here is a run down of places that are open to eat: Thanksgiving Dinner at Philadelphia Restaurants — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
The World of Coke isn't a big draw on its own, LOL.

Most of Atlanta's leisure visitors are people who live within relatively easy driving distance who are taking extended weekend excursions, attending a sporting event or concert, or seeing friends and family. The convention/trade show industry definitely makes up a large part of the tourism numbers there and many of those folks also visit the attractions and such while in town. Atlanta is a very different sort of tourist town than Philly but it exploits its niche exceptionally well.

Each city offers a different sort of experience overall but I'm not too familiar with what's going on Thanksgiving weekend in either, and that could make a difference for the OP besides the normal stuff to see and do.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:29 AM

44 posts, read 51,621 times
Quote:
Yes, necessarily true:

http://www.chiff.com/pics2/fall-foliage-map.jpg?ver=1.0

The northern States always peak several weeks before the southern Piedmont states. Always.

I'm not discounting that either. However, the OP stated they wanted to visit the respective cities. Obviously, Atlanta proper has way more trees than Philly proper.

However, if we wanted to extend this to surrounding area around this topic, suburban ATL and North Georgia is even more impressive in the Fall foliage category:

Well now you are just changing up the criteria. All of the items you listed, Atlanta has the same (and probably more neighborhood festivals) things going as well.

Personally, I think the OP would happy visiting either city during Thanksgiving. Late Autumn in all the Eastern cities from the Piedmont north is quite enjoyable. When it really comes down to it, the only factor I see for the OP would be cost to travel. Philly would have the edge for someone coming from Boston given air fare would be cheaper, and they would have the option of driving.

But all of this talk of there being more to do in Philly? It's just nonsense. There is PLENTY to do in Atlanta for a visiting family all year long. Of the 35 million people that visit Atlanta each year (vs the 30 million that visit Philly), do people really think they just mill around doing nothing in their hotel rooms?

1) Your link is pretty outdated considering climate change. Maybe thats how it used to be but living in Upstate NY, its September 18th and its nowhere near peak season. The Adirondacks aren't even at 50%.

2) Atlanta has some of the best tree canopy and coverage, but do not underestimate Philadelphia. There are a million places in Philadelphia that you'd mistake for Atlanta for tree cover. You're just as at fault for not thinking there isn't ample tree cover in Philadephia as they are for Atlanta. I'd go as far to say that the Philadelphia metro area is even with the Atlanta metro for tree cover as well. Some of the best cities for urban living juxtaposed with lush green is the Northeast, hands down and that goes for Boston, NYC, Philly and DC. They're all among the best.

3) Theres plenty to do in Atlanta but id give Philly the edge because simply put theres just more there to do attraction-wise. You can also boast about shopping but its tough to beat King of Prussia Mall, the largest on the East Coast.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:09 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
I much prefer Atlanta over Philly...it's just a more attractive city to me.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:16 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The World of Coke isn't a big draw on its own, LOL.

Most of Atlanta's leisure visitors are people who live within relatively easy driving distance who are taking extended weekend excursions, attending a sporting event or concert, or seeing friends and family. The convention/trade show industry definitely makes up a large part of the tourism numbers there and many of those folks also visit the attractions and such while in town. Atlanta is a very different sort of tourist town than Philly but it exploits its niche exceptionally well.

Each city offers a different sort of experience overall but I'm not too familiar with what's going on Thanksgiving weekend in either, and that could make a difference for the OP besides the normal stuff to see and do.
Atlanta does have a world class aquarium though, ranked #2 in the world by TripAdvisor and that's from ratings/reviews from users. A decent amount of people go to Atlanta just for it's aquarium alone.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:42 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta does have a world class aquarium though, ranked #2 in the world by TripAdvisor and that's from ratings/reviews from users. A decent amount of people go to Atlanta just for it's aquarium alone.
I don't doubt it, just as I know people visit Atlanta specifically for the MLK Historic Site. But overall, there's not one *big* attraction that draws folks to Atlanta in droves; it's a mix of things that aren't necessarily related to each other--unlike, say, Orlando with its theme parks or even Philadelphia with its historic sites.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:45 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's also surprising how many people mention wanting to see the World of Coke. I don't have much interest in it, but people visiting Atlanta seem to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City