Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thanksgiving vacation
Atlanta 28 40.00%
Philly 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,191,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
They definitely always play in Detroit on thanksgiving
Yea I know, but OP is asking about this year specifically between Atlanta and Philly. Football is a huge part of Thanksgiving for many, and Philadelphia is playing this year, Atlanta is not.

If OP wants to experience a city for Turkey Day for fun as a criteria, I think a legit argument can be made that Philly truly comes "alive" on gameday, even when the Eagles are away from town. Unless OP isn't a football fan, I think this is a huge factor that can't be discounted. There will probably be more "life" in Philadelphia than Atlanta this year on Thanksgiving because of the Birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:33 PM

14,192 posts, read 22,799,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Philly closer but Atlanta has better restaurants, nightlife, shopping, our climate will be warmer, you will get to see our trees turning different colors, etc
Atlanta has good shopping, but I'd still put King of Prussia Mall up against any mall in Atlanta. As for nightlife, Atlanta is more of a "club" city, and Philadelphia is more of a "bar" city, so whichever a person prefers will make a difference. And the fall foliage in Atlanta peaks in late October, not late November. In fact, it peaks in Atlanta and Philadelphia around the same time.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM

122 posts, read 177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Atlanta has good shopping, but I'd still put King of Prussia Mall up against any mall in Atlanta. As for nightlife, Atlanta is more of a "club" city, and Philadelphia is more of a "bar" city, so whichever a person prefers will make a difference. And the fall foliage in Atlanta peaks in late October, not late November. In fact, it peaks in Atlanta and Philadelphia around the same time.
Christiana Mall is pretty nice and there is no sales tax. PA has none on clothing, but DE has none on electronics and all other goods also.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,455,577 times
Atlanta

Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,102,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F LA View Post
I was thinking about taking the family and going to one of these 2 cities for Thanksgiving. The prices are high so booking tickets now will spare us from rate hikes. Which city is better to vacation in? What can we do in these cities for fun? Which city has less ghettos and crime areas?
I've never been to Atlanta, but I have been in Philadelphia in November, and weather-wise? Not too shabby.

South Street was still packed with people even though it was a bit chilly.

All of the touristy stuff (Liberty Bell, Constitution Center) were packed with people. Although, on Thanksgiving Day those places will (I assume) be closed.

I think I would pick Philadelphia for a vacation over Atlanta just in general, let alone on Thanksgiving. My impressions of Philadelphia are very, very favorable.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:58 AM

9,398 posts, read 9,384,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Philly closer but Atlanta has better restaurants, nightlife, shopping, our climate will be warmer, you will get to see our trees turning different colors, etc
None of the above is true. And Tthere will be no foliage in either city on November 26th...

Philly around Thanksgiving is a lot of fun. The parade, the famous Wanamaker Christmas Light Show in Macys, The Comcast Center has a cool display in their lobby, the city is a lot of fun during the holidays.
Center City has a lot of shopping, but if you want to experience Christmas shopping hit up King of Prussia Mall for a day as well.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,793,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Regarding shopping we have better options overall especially in luxury shopping. We have Phipps Plaza and Lenox. Then they can visit the luxury stores at Buckhead Atlanta. Then they can also check out Ponce City Market stores.

Nightlife wise, Atlanta last call is 3am and for Philly its 2am. Since the last call is the same in Boston and Philly Im sure they might want to stay out an additional hour here.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,787,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It's the oldest parade too.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:10 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,284,255 times
The OP talks about bringing his or her family on vacation. To me, that indicates s/he is not likely concerned about last call for ordering cocktails. Nor would I think an NFL game is high on the list either. Regardless, I can't see Atlanta offering all that Philly can as a vacation site. Let's start with history alone. There is so much of it in Philadelphia, with nearly all of places of note within walking distance of any Center City hotel (meaning the family needn't fuss with a rental car). It seems to me every American should make the trip to Philly at least once in their life to visit the birthplace of the nation.

The holidays only add to the festivities. Given this will be Thanksgiving, others have already noted some of the holiday attractions the family could enjoy on a visit. Here's a more complete overview: The Holidays in Philadelphia - Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s & More in Philadelphia — visitphilly.com. The holidays for many take on a special feeling when there is the nip of coolness in the air. Speaking of which, one of the city's newest attractions is the skating rink outside Philadelphia's beautiful City Hall:

As for shopping, yes there is King of Prussia if the family wants to spend their time running down bargains in a very upscale but still suburban mall. There is plenty of shopping in Center City where the offerings range from Tiffany and Brooks Brothers to Dollar Stores. My guess is the family will have more than enough to do just in Center City without worrying about King of Prussia of some of the other suburban attractions.

I have visited Atlanta a few times, and find it a fine city. I understand why some people would enjoy living there. But as a spot for a holiday vacation for a family, I have trouble seeing it competing with Philly.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 PM

708 posts, read 1,001,042 times
Atlanta!!!it's more to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City