Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,028,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There is no "quick" way to New Jersey. It's not like there are these forgotten little links sort of like the Chain Bridge between DC and Arlington. There is no way around going directly into the teeth of the monster.
Yes there is. The train. NJT or PATH. And, if there's no construction, the highways (bridges/tunnels) later at night. PATH from Newark Penn to WTC is barely 20 minutes. From Jersey City, under 10.

You are over-dramatizing this, seriously Bajan. You usually post well but here you're really being over-dramatic about NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 AM

32,151 posts, read 34,828,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
No. In NJ there is zero sales talk on clothes. But I think you are looking at it from a Point of view from someone in Brooklyn. I have no reason to go to Brooklyn either. But most people I know in Manhattan come from either NJ, Westchester, or Long Island. And they are going back to those places frequently anyway for family reasons. In the case of NJ, they are just saving their shopping for when they are back in NJ anyway, so it's not like there is an extra toll. Again, as to clothes shopping (as well as locale), I just think that you and I are in two different worlds. Not saying one is better or worse than the other, but I don't pretend to know your world better than you do.
That's different from taking a trip there expressly for that purpose. That's no different from me going to King of Prussia when I go home.

In DC, somewhere like Pentagon City is where you go to shop. There's no toll to pay to drive there (though parking costs w/o Nordstrom or Macy's validation) and the Yellow Line actually delivers you directly into the Mall. Honestly, I can get to Columbia Heights to Pentagon City in less time than it takes me to get from Ft. Greene to Sunset Park. This sort of gives NYC people (and DC people, I suppose) a frame of reference to understand the relative ease of mobility in both cities.

We're clearly in two different worlds. Maybe we'll be able to pay for $110 shirts once these student loans are paid back.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-23-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,190,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Its not just the largess, but also the scope of powers as well. The Port Authority of NY and NJ doesn't just run ports and bridges and some cross-state rail like the DRPA. They also run all 5 airports, including all the rail to the airports, even if the rail doesn't even cross the two states (JFK AirTrain is exclusively in NYC city limits, its run by Port Authority, not the NYC MTA for example.) They also operate buses and are the ones building the World Trade Center site for example. Thats like DRPA building Comcast tower in Philly...
Thanks, beat me to it. People will derisively call NNJ the 6th borough (it's not) but it's factors like this that give them ammo. These two states are, for better or worse, the most linked in the entire Union, on all levels.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Its not just the largess, but also the scope of powers as well. The Port Authority of NY and NJ doesn't just run ports and bridges and some cross-state rail like the DRPA. They also run all 5 airports, including all the rail to the airports, even if the rail doesn't even cross the two states (JFK AirTrain is exclusively in NYC city limits, its run by Port Authority, not the NYC MTA for example.) They also operate buses and they develop real estate, they are the ones building the World Trade Center site for example. Thats like DRPA building Comcast tower in Philly...
Exactly. There is nothing like the PANYNJ. It even has its own police force.

I see PAPD officers all over my county (Union) because the Goethals Bridge is here, in Elizabeth, and so is the airport (Newark Airport is half in Elizabeth). They tend to be more noticeable in Elizabeth and Linden but it's not unusual to see them a little further into the county. Same cops who are responsible for the WTC site and other NYC-NJ bridges/tunnels and other airports, including AC I believe, way in Atlantic County.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes there is. The train. NJT or PATH. And, if there's no construction, the highways (bridges/tunnels) later at night. PATH from Newark Penn to WTC is barely 20 minutes. From Jersey City, under 10.
BigCityDreamer was talking about driving. Neither NJT nor PATH involve driving.

The only way to New Jersey (driving, that is) is through mad traffic on the BQE (I should know, right?) and over the Verrazano and then the Goethals or through one of those tunnels or over the GWB. That's it. There are no "secret" routes.

In DC, on the other hand, a lot of people don't know about the Chain Bridge, and I would frequently use it to get into and out of DC.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...179e1c7b25b1c2

Quote:
You are over-dramatizing this, seriously Bajan. You usually post well but here you're really being over-dramatic about NJ.
Westbound traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge is closed on weekends. That's a fact. There have been lane closures going on 2 years now.

It can take upwards of 45 mins to get to the Holland Tunnel coming from one side of Manhattan to the other. It's no cake walk. New York is the only city I've lived in where there are traffic cops directing traffic on any regular Saturday morning. Plowing down Canal on a Saturday afternoon is not for the faint of heart. And before someone says, "Yeah, there's traffic on M Street or South Street too," no, they are not even remotely close to being the same thing. I am talking about mad cars and pedestrians holding up traffic at every intersection.

So you have to deal with that plus tons of cars funneling into a two-lane tunnel. I can't think of any other city that has these types of constant chokepoints. It's not being overlydramatic, it's just the truth. Getting into and out NYC is not like getting into and out of Philly.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
BigCityDreamer was talking about driving. Neither NJT nor PATH involve driving.

The only way to New Jersey (driving, that is) is through mad traffic on the BQE (I should know, right?) and over the Verrazano and then the Goethals or through one of those tunnels or over the GWB. That's it. There are no "secret" routes.

In DC, on the other hand, a lot of people don't know about the Chain Bridge, and I would frequently use it to get into and out of DC.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...179e1c7b25b1c2

Westbound traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge is closed on weekends. That's a fact. There have been lane closures going on 2 years now.

It can take upwards of 45 mins to get to the Holland Tunnel coming from one side of Manhattan to the other. It's no cake walk. New York is the only city I've lived in where there are traffic cops directing traffic on any regular Saturday morning. Plowing down Canal on a Saturday afternoon is not for the faint of heart. And before someone says, "Yeah, there's traffic on M Street or South Street too," no, they are not even remotely close to being the same thing. I am talking about mad cars and pedestrians holding up traffic at every intersection.

So you have to deal with that plus tons of cars funneling into a two-lane tunnel. I can't think of any other city that has these types of constant chokepoints. It's not being overlydramatic, it's just the truth. Getting into and out NYC is not like getting into and out of Philly.
You're from Brooklyn. That's a whole other borough away from NJ. Manhattan, SI, and the Bronx all border NJ (by water but they're direct water borders). You are a whole borough in, so your experiences may be different from others'. It can (often does in my experience) take a while to cross Manhattan from Brooklyn or Queens, let alone then go into NJ. Don't speak for everyone, though. I think AnesthesiaMD has made that point well.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You're from Brooklyn. That's a whole other borough away from NJ. Manhattan, SI, and the Bronx all border NJ (by water but they're direct water borders). You are a whole borough in, so your experiences may be different from others'. It can (often does in my experience) take a while to cross Manhattan from Brooklyn or Queens, let alone then go into NJ. Don't speak for everyone, though. I think AnesthesiaMD has made that point well.
It's comparatively difficult no matter where you are in NYC. 80-90% of the people living in Manhattan don't have access to a car anyway and aren't leaving the city all that often. The GWB has a better flow traffic flow than the tunnels, but that's still not comparable to crossing into VA from DC or crossing the line from Bethesda into Friendship Heights.

I mean, I know this city so well I should be a damned Uber driver. LOL.

What is your experience living in DC?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It's comparatively difficult no matter where you are in NYC. 80-90% of the people living in Manhattan don't have access to a car anyway and aren't leaving the city all that often. The GWB has a better flow traffic flow than the tunnels, but that's still not comparable to crossing into VA from DC or crossing the line from Bethesda into Friendship Heights.

I mean, I know this city so well I should be a damned Uber driver. LOL.

What is your experience living in DC?
I have never lived in DC and since I have not talked about it at all here I don't know why it's relevant?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I have never lived in DC and since I have not talked about it at all here I don't know why it's relevant?
Well, it's certainly relevant if the topic is the most cohesive Tri-State area (and that in fact is the topic).

Old 09-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Well, it's certainly relevant if the topic is the most cohesive Tri-State area (and that in fact is the topic).
I can only speak for where I live. I can barely speak for the Philly area and I'm from NJ.

IMO, as I stated on the first page, the tri-state wins because of the PANYNJ. No, this does not include CT, but the closeness of NY and NJ is seconded by no other two states, not nearly at the same level.

Both states control the whole WTC, for pete's sake. It is literally both of ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City