Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Just an interesting coincidence that these are the 3 metros that Pope Francis will be visiting.
That's what spurred this topic in the first place; see the original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,871 times
My family is a southern/mid atlantic family that breeds horses and I have to say new jersey horse country is some of the best in the country outside of northern virginia and kentucky horse country, very posh and beautiful state with tons of gorgeous coastline. maybe manhattanites just focus on closer northern new jersey places they see from the trains, but it is a beautiful state. Even close towns like Hoboken have always been very popular with artists and writers, I played at maxwell's with my band and I love that town.

wikimedia commons photos hoboken

Getting back to my post about the dysfunctional DC/Va/Maryland traffic, you can jump on a train and be in manhattan very easily from parts of connecticut and new jersey, the Metro isnt like that in alot of northern virginia and southern maryland. Most likely you are driving into DC and dealing with very expensive parking and all the hassles of parking in the district . DC should be the very symbol of America, we shouldnt have the worst traffic and gridlock in the country.

This system of two states and a city trying to solve these traffic problems isnt working, this is not normal American metro traffic by any means, its getting to be like a third world country like mexico city style gridlock. DC should be the very symbol of American urban planning and not always at number one for the worst in the country for traffic and gridlock

I guarantee you that people who dont live in DC will see stories of the Popes visit to DC and the traffic, federal employees have been told not to come into work this week!

Last edited by floridanative10; 09-22-2015 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:36 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The delaware valley is not cohesive at all. Pa ppl only go to jersey for the shore, wholesale liquor, and official business, and hate jersey. Jersey ppl only go to CC for work, and both only go to delaware for tax breaks and sports gambling. Functionally its similar to the bay area. Philly/PA=SF/Peninsula. Camden/SJ= Oak/Alameda co. Wilmington/Dware= SJ/SBay. NYC ppl have a similar disdain for NJ, and Connecticut is their Dware. The DMV however functions much more like one cohesive metropolitan area. They have neither wide rivers or expensive tolls between them.
And leisure I'd say....professional sports, nightlife, concerts/special events, dining, etc.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
I voted NY/NJ/CT over DC/MD/VA. OP is asking for most cohesive, NOT geographically seamless, and it doesn't get any closer than the cultural, municipal and economic relationship between NY and NJ. There's no other state and/or district relationship at the same level.

While the DMV is more geographically seamless, it's slightly below the Tri State in the above metrics. Also, I think Baltimore/Annapolis has enough pull to weaken the MD side of the equation, honestly. DC isn't the unopposed alpha of its region like NYC is. EVERYTHING in the Tri State pretty much revolves around NYC. You can't say the same for DC.

I also agree with Jerseygal in that people are downplaying Jersey's draw for New Yorkers. Bottom line up front, it's cheaper and less congested than the city, qualities that make it inherently attractive, nevermind the shore and shopping outlets.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC85 View Post
New Jersey has very nice areas, but let's be honest here. The NY-NJ traffic is overwhelmingly one-way, and that way points to Manhattan.

Manhattanites don't leave Manhattan. Hiking and beaches? Upstate and the Hamptons. Brooklyn and especially Queens are far from NJ. It's expensive (approx $20 round trip in tolls), and Brooklyn and Queens are both located on Long Island so they're next door to Nassau County. Why would they pay to go to New Jersey when they can go to beach and do big box shopping in Nassau County for free? And quicker, since it's closer?

Staten Islanders are probably likely to go to New Jersey I suppose.
But that's what makes the Tri State more cohesive, imo. Nearly everything does revolve around NYC to an extent, from CT to LI to NJ--that's what makes it cohesive, even more so than DC. MD and VA do not focus on DC to the extent that NJ and CT do to NYC.

And regarding Manhattan, plenty of people leave to visit the outerboroughs. I don't know where this notion comes from. I used to visit a girlfriend out in Woodside (Queens) all the time, and it was cheap and not too time consuming at all via subway (4 to the 7). Workwise, Manhattan gets the majority of traffic, but leisure wise? No Manhattanites go to MetLife Stadium or CitiField or the Barclays Center? It's a huge overexaggeration to claim people don't leave Manhattan.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I voted NY/NJ/CT over DC/MD/VA. OP is asking for most cohesive, NOT geographically seamless, and it doesn't get any closer than the cultural, municipal and economic relationship between NY and NJ. There's no other state and/or district relationship at the same level.

While the DMV is more geographically seamless, it's slightly below the Tri State in the above metrics. Also, I think Baltimore/Annapolis has enough pull to weaken the MD side of the equation, honestly. DC isn't the unopposed alpha of its region like NYC is. EVERYTHING in the Tri State pretty much revolves around NYC. You can't say the same for DC.

I also agree with Jerseygal in that people are downplaying Jersey's draw for New Yorkers. Bottom line up front, it's cheaper and less congested than the city, qualities that make it inherently attractive, nevermind the shore and shopping outlets.

Of course they are. I'm not surprised, I just hope no one believes it!

And when transplants start to comment...

Old 09-22-2015, 10:35 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Manhattanite checking in ("wealthy" young professional, transplant, have tons of colleagues and friends) .

I don't know anyone who goes to New Jersey. Unless we're going to the airport. All of the New Yorkers conducting business in New Jersey live in Staten Island. I live downtown right on the Hudson and see New Jersey every day from my window but haven't been there in a year. My equivalent in Washington would have to go to Virginia to shop since there is nowhere to shop in Washington.

I'm not trying to snub New Jersey but there simply is no reason to go there. Just like there is no reason to go to Orange and Dutchess Counties. People here go to the beaches in the Hamptons.

If you're living in the core - Manhattan and Washington, I would say DMV is more connected but to people living outside? I would say Tri State is more connected since, in my experience, people in the New York suburbs are more likely to go into the city for recreation, a night on the town or to work than the suburban equivalent living outside of Washington.
Perhaps, being a transplant, you don't realize the magnitude of this, but Manhattan has a huge population of people who grew up in the NJ suburbs. Everyone (in my circles) from NJ moves to Manhattan after they finish college. Some stay for 5 or 10 years before moving back to NJ, and others stay permanently. While they are living in Manhattan, they often drive to Jersey on weekends and holidays to visit family. When I lived in Manhattan, I did all of my clothes shopping in NJ to avoid the tax. On weekends, the shopping malls are filled with NY license plates. Many Manhattanites certainly dive into NJ for Giants and Jets games. A lot of New Yorkers go to the NJ shore, as it is more convenient than The Hamptons. My beach house is in The Hamptons and there are times (sitting at a stand still on the LIE) I envy the people with the 1 hour drive to the NJ shore. It's true that many of the New Yorkers at the shore are from Staten Island, but last I checked, Staten Island is part of NYC.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Manhattanite checking in ("wealthy" young professional, transplant, have tons of colleagues and friends) .

I don't know anyone who goes to New Jersey. Unless we're going to the airport. All of the New Yorkers conducting business in New Jersey live in Staten Island. I live downtown right on the Hudson and see New Jersey every day from my window but haven't been there in a year. My equivalent in Washington would have to go to Virginia to shop since there is nowhere to shop in Washington.

I'm not trying to snub New Jersey but there simply is no reason to go there. Just like there is no reason to go to Orange and Dutchess Counties. People here go to the beaches in the Hamptons.

If you're living in the core - Manhattan and Washington, I would say DMV is more connected but to people living outside? I would say Tri State is more connected since, in my experience, people in the New York suburbs are more likely to go into the city for recreation, a night on the town or to work than the suburban equivalent living outside of Washington.
LOL You must've not been in DC much then. And there's a lot of us suburbanites who enjoy DC's recreation, boutique/small business shopping, nightlife, dining, festivities, etc. You think we only go into DC for work-related reasons? Plenty of that out here in the 'burbs too and then some. You really don't know the DMV very well to comment.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
My family is a southern/mid atlantic family that breeds horses and I have to say new jersey horse country is some of the best in the country outside of northern virginia and kentucky horse country, very posh and beautiful state with tons of gorgeous coastline. maybe manhattanites just focus on closer northern new jersey places they see from the trains, but it is a beautiful state. Even close towns like Hoboken have always been very popular with artists and writers, I played at maxwell's with my band and I love that town.

wikimedia commons photos hoboken

Getting back to my post about the dysfunctional DC/Va/Maryland traffic, you can jump on a train and be in manhattan very easily from parts of connecticut and new jersey, the Metro isnt like that in alot of northern virginia and southern maryland. Most likely you are driving into DC and dealing with very expensive parking and all the hassles of parking in the district . DC should be the very symbol of America, we shouldnt have the worst traffic and gridlock in the country.

This system of two states and a city trying to solve these traffic problems isnt working, this is not normal American metro traffic by any means, its getting to be like a third world country like mexico city style gridlock. DC should be the very symbol of American urban planning and not always at number one for the worst in the country for traffic and gridlock

I guarantee you that people who dont live in DC will see stories of the Popes visit to DC and the traffic, federal employees have been told not to come into work this week!
London, Paris, Toronto, Tokyo, Berlin, Rome, Istanbul, Cairo, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Barcelona, Seoul, etc. are the symbolic showcase cities of their countries too and some of these cities/metros have some of the best public transportation systems in the world, yet some of them have traffic patterns and congestion that'll make the traffic here in the DMV look like chicken sh1t. It comes with the territory, especially given the population size/boom. Not saying Eye don't wish traffic here wasn't more at ease but at the same time given the draw, importance, and the size of this metro area, what do you expect?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
I would say DC. Jersey seems somewhat disconnected from Philly and NYC while metro DC (The DMV!) really functions like one metro area. Just having metro rail and buses crossing into MD and VA makes a difference vs the Jersey side of NYC and Philly which have their own rail lines etc that only cross the rivers and end in the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City