Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Except those of us who live here, and our opinion matters a lot I think.
So a portion of the ~20 million people who live in NYC and feel the way you do versus a portion of the 300 million others in the US or the 7 billion others in the world who may feel differently if they had the proper background and knowledge of the two areas.

Ok

Also, is that a stereotypically New Yorker thing to say, that your opinion matters more (that's the tone I read).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 02:30 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
So a portion of the ~20 million people who live in NYC and feel the way you do versus a portion of the 300 million others in the US or the 7 billion others in the world who may feel differently if they had the proper background and knowledge of the two areas.

Ok

Also, is that a stereotypically New Yorker thing to say, that your opinion matters more (that's the tone I read).
Pretty sure a New Yorker opinion about living in NYC matters more than opinion of someone from Provo, Utah. If we were discussing Provo in this thread I am sure an opinion of someone who actually lives there would be far more relevant. Similarly, a foot doctor's opinion about your foot disease would be much more valuable as opposed to asking a mechanic, although there are far more mechanics out there compared to foot doctors.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:

Ok

Please see my latest post to see what I mean.

This is asking about cohesiveness of 3 major metro areas. Chances are, everyone responding has not lived in or maybe even been to all 3 of these areas. So locals are the best people to ask, especially lifelong residents or people who lived there for many years and traveled around the area a lot to get a good idea of how it works. This is why a local's opinion matters more. Ideally, getting someone who has lived and spent considerable time in all 3 would probably give the best, most real answer, but it's probably pretty unlikely. So you listen to what locals say.

You may think it's too large, but we don't. I know I personally do not. You would rather listen to some poster from CA (for example) who's never even lived here than take my word and my personal experience for it? Okay, but that seems dumb to me. You may as well say, anyone who lives there, don't respond.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:33 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Pretty sure a New Yorker opinion about living in NYC matters more than opinion of someone from Provo, Utah. If we were discussing Provo in this thread I am sure an opinion of someone who actually lives there would be far more relevant.
This is true, but it would appear that a lot of people who don't live in either but have lots of experience in either "feel" that DC Metro is more cohesive, if not for the simple fact that it's smaller and more manageable as a singular area. How connected to Stamford, CT does a person living in Elizabeth, NJ feel? I wonder if it's more or less connected to Bethesda, MD that a person in Alexandria, VA might feel. I would guess that the person in Alexandria, VA feels a little closer and more connected to Bethesda, MD than the person in Elizabeth, NJ feels connected to Stamford, CT.

My point is there are a lot fewer people living in and around NYC than people who simply visit.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:

My point is there are a lot fewer people living in and around NYC than people who simply visit.
There are also more people with feet than there are foot doctors. (see my edit in previous post).

By the way, I think DC area is much more cohesive, but it has nothing to do with the arguments in this thread. Its because it is not really a tri-state area anyway. Everything is much closer together because its de facto a two state area, not a tri-state.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
This is true, but it would appear that a lot of people who don't live in either but have lots of experience in either "feel" that DC Metro is more cohesive, if not for the simple fact that it's smaller and more manageable as a singular area. How connected to Stamford, CT does a person living in Elizabeth, NJ feel? I wonder if it's more or less connected to Bethesda, MD that a person in Alexandria, VA might feel. I would guess that the person in Alexandria, VA feels a little closer and more connected to Bethesda, MD than the person in Elizabeth, NJ feels connected to Stamford, CT.

The fact that our area is so large should not be detrimental, especially when it's really not for those of us who live here. I mean yeah it can suck taking two hours by train(s) to get to a Mets game from my house when I live like 30-something miles away from the stadium, thanks to density and so many train stops, then switching trains to LIRR with schedules that do not match up time-wise, and the sheer size of the city... but I get to go to a Mets game. In what I believe to be the greatest city in the world. With the greatest fans, watching my favorite team. Feeling lucky enough to live so close even though it can be a pain to get to. It's not detrimental to me.

Now, if I were a Yankee fan my life would be a hell of a lot easier considering we've driven to Yankee Stadium in a half hour, but such is life.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
There are also more people with feet than there are foot doctors. (see my edit in previous post).

By the way, I think DC area is much more cohesive, because its not really a tri-state area anyway. Its basically two states with DC city limits being outside the two states.
True, I haven't though of this. DC is not a state, it's really only 2 states and the district. And yes the area is smaller so of course getting around is easier, and there's a lot less water.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
True, I haven't though of this. DC is not a state, it's really only 2 states and the district. And yes the area is smaller so of course getting around is easier, and there's a lot less water.
Imagine there was a thread about which international metro area is more cohesive: Detroit-Windsor, San Diego-Tijuana, or ... drum roll... New York-United Nations Plaza district (because its technically outside the jurisdiction of the US government).

Old 09-23-2015, 02:48 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Who said your opinion did not matter? I merely said to not speak for everyone in NYC when you say it is difficult and long to get to NJ. I understand it's that way for you in Brooklyn, but not necessarily everyone else living everywhere else. It makes sense for it to be like that for you in Brooklyn. Guess what - it's not exactly a walk in the park for us in NJ to get to Brooklyn, either. These things work both ways. But someone living closer to NJ than Brooklyn may just have an easier time.
It would be difficult to do it from Manhattan as well. It would be easier to do it from Harlem/Washington Heights since they don't have the congestion of Midtown or Lower Manhattan. Otherwise, driving in Manhattan is a struggle.

And it's not like I live way out in Mill Basin. I'm a short bike ride away from Manhattan.

Quote:
As for the post I quoted, if the majority in the 20 million populated NYC metro area feel it is NOT too large, that matters. No offense to everyone else, but this is about cohesiveness. How a local feels about cohesiveness matters more than a tourist or observer because we actually live it. YOU may think it's too large, and that's fine, but we may not, and that opinion may matter a bit more as we're the ones who have to live here and know the ins and outs, quite literally, of getting places and what it's like.
I live in NYC and feel the region is too big to have the same type of cohesive feel as smaller regions. I don't get the sense that most people know much about other boroughs little less places outside of NYC. And this goes for someone like my wife who's lived in NYC for most of her formative years. There are high schools in NYC that she and her friends have never heard of. I can't imagine someone saying the name of a Philly high school and me being like

So yeah, I think living in a city that's larger than many states makes people a bit more provincial.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
The fact that our area is so large should not be detrimental, especially when it's really not for those of us who live here. I mean yeah it can suck taking two hours by train(s) to get to a Mets game from my house when I live like 30-something miles away from the stadium, thanks to density and so many train stops, then switching trains to LIRR with schedules that do not match up time-wise, and the sheer size of the city... but I get to go to a Mets game. In what I believe to be the greatest city in the world. With the greatest fans, watching my favorite team. Feeling lucky enough to live so close even though it can be a pain to get to. It's not detrimental to me.

Now, if I were a Yankee fan my life would be a hell of a lot easier considering we've driven to Yankee Stadium in a half hour, but such is life.
I was repping you and backing you up Jerseygirl, but by proclaiming yourself a Mets fan, I'm tempted to cease that. Luckily for you, my grandfather is a Mets fan and your guys' improbable run has brightened up his days, so I'll let it slide, for now.

--Yours truly, a Yankee fan

Lol, in all seriousness, I agree that the draw of NYC overcomes any unwieldiness of transit in getting there. That's why I'm arguing it's more cohesive overall. Someone from Elizabeth, NJ and Stamford, CT are unified in being in the orbit of NYC.

The DMV is more geographically seamless, but DC is less of a cultural draw, when compared to NYC. Baltimore pilfers some of that cultural cohesiveness, and isn't NOVA still in the running for a baseball team? People can point to newspaper circulations all they want (lol in 2015) but the Tri State is more culturally cohesive. Isn't DC stereotypically soulless anyway, outside of AA underground culture? Aren't VA and MD the real culture makers in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City