Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 10:14 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So would you say that living in Atlanta without a car is a good, or even feasible idea? Given that one could easily afford to own one.

I think that's NOLA's point.
Exactly. A few forumers take everything personally, but they get it. They know that Atlanta is an extremely car-centric city, not unlike Dallas. Very few choice riders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Exactly. A few forumers take everything personally, but they get it. They know that Atlanta is an extremely car-centric city, not unlike Dallas. Very few choice riders.
I'd agree that LA would be similar to Atlanta and Dallas, I wouldn't want to live there without a car at all. The only upside is the perfect weather.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:18 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
The fact that the next expansion of MARTA is heading further north in areas that are over 85% white and/or also in the Emory area should tell him what is going on.
What would this "tell me"? Why would a rail expansion change fundamental mobility patterns?

Atlanta could build the largest rail system on the planet, and will still be an overwhelmingly car-oriented metro. You don't build transit dependency by building rail, you build transit dependency by making it difficult to drive. That's why cities with huge transit investments like LA, Dallas and Atlanta have seen no change in their ridership figures over time; LA today actually has slightly lower transit share than prior to its rail construction binge.

Not sure what the "white" comment was referring to; MARTA obviously already services very white neighborhoods.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
New Orleans is the same. More urban than both cities and no one would recommend living there without a car. People do it, but they usually can't afford one and use Uber or a bike.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Quote:
No that is not what you said as you said there "was no place in Atlanta like that" refering to the people who ride MARTA.
I and others have already agreed both cities are extremely car centric with very few choice riders but there is a difference in which Atlanta has more than Dallas and the difference is because Heavy rail tends to attract more choice riders than light rail or bus.
This is true in every city in the U.S, with the exception of NYC

Old 09-11-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
What would this "tell me"? Why would a rail expansion change fundamental mobility patterns?

Atlanta could build the largest rail system on the planet, and will still be an overwhelmingly car-oriented metro. You don't build transit dependency by building rail, you build transit dependency by making it difficult to drive. That's why cities with huge transit investments like LA, Dallas and Atlanta have seen no change in their ridership figures over time; LA today actually has slightly lower transit share than prior to its rail construction binge.

Not sure what the "white" comment was referring to; MARTA obviously already services very white neighborhoods.
Atlanta has seen increases in ridership.Dallas has seen decreases.

11.43% of Atlanta population ride MARTA and ranks 30th compared with 55% ride NYC Metro at #1 out of teh top 50 public transportation systems.
Coming in next to last is New Orleans at 7.30%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nsit_ridership
Dallas nor Houston are withing those parameters at around less than 3%.

This is a significant difference even agreeing that both are car centric with weak systems.However as I said before ,it is easy in Atlanta to live without a car and yes choice ridership
is anemic but its higher in Atlanta because the stations have evolved and provide serve where people live and work.

Midtown Station is a perfect example of who is using MARTA nowadays.
Georgia Tech has a school shuttle that picks up there several times a day.You come off the subway you see a mix of students ,professionals and workers just like you would anywhere.

My Quote:

Quote:
That has changed drastically in Atlanta.Depending on what part of the city you are in,everyone rides the bus and even more ride the subway.
I was referring to your previous remark about you believeing only poor people and immigrants ride MARTA
Your reply:

"There is no place like this in Atlanta."

"Atlanta is massively car-centric, per Census-based ridership data. It's essentially the same as Dallas."

Old 09-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Atlanta has seen increases in ridership.Dallas has seen decreases.

11.43% of Atlanta population ride MARTA and ranks 30th compared with 55% ride NYC Metro at #1 out of teh top 50 public transportation systems.
Coming in next to last is New Orleans at 7.30%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nsit_ridership
Dallas nor Houston are withing those parameters at around less than 3%.

This is a significant difference even agreeing that both are car centric with weak systems.However as I said before ,it is easy in Atlanta to live without a car and yes choice ridership
is anemic but its higher in Atlanta because the stations have evolved and provide serve where people live and work.

Midtown Station is a perfect example of who is using MARTA nowadays.
Georgia Tech has a school shuttle that picks up there several times a day.You come off the subway you see a mix of students ,professionals and workers just like you would anywhere.

My Quote:

I was referring to your previous remark about you believeing only poor people and immigrants ride MARTA
Your reply:

"There is no place like this in Atlanta."

"Atlanta is massively car-centric, per Census-based ridership data. It's essentially the same as Dallas."
Are those based on city population?

Old 09-11-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are those based on city population?
Yes they are.Many and maybe the majority of people who live in the city,move to the city for the convenience and option of riding public transportation.
We know if you live in the suburbs in either of these cities you might as well forget it but as you see,a significant amount of people are using it in the city limits.

being able to go more places faster due to accessibility has and is always the issue but Atlanta has been agresively building near its stations for years to where now people can live near and work more than ever close to transit.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Here is anothery report.
This report breaks down riders as
1)All purpose Riders
2)Commuters
3)Occasional

Atlanta has one of the highest occasional ridership along with LA.
That should tell you people of all types use it when its convenient for them.

Dallas was not listed but Houston was,
Houston had a 23% All purpose rider
Atlanta was at 29%

Atlanta had 63% occasional riders while Houston at 16%.
Dallas system is better but its numbers are not that different from Houstons.

Look on page 71 at the chart:
http://transitcenter.org/wp-content/...-7_12_2016.pdf

Old 09-12-2016, 12:00 AM

396 posts, read 601,346 times
Quote:
Atlanta and Dallas are about equally car-centric. Both are overwhelmingly oriented towards the car. Both would be terrible choices for a car-free life.
i'd give the edge to atl in this case too. people are ditching cars in atl because traffic is just so awful, and i know a few of them personally - it's going to continue gaining momentum there.

here, people might use transit for work if they work in downtown dallas, but it's still far more convenient to drive here, comparatively.

Quote:

my point exactly - it's difficult to drive in atlanta. not just the constant freeway traffic, but the city streets. on 4 lane (two in each direction) roads with no center suicide lane, you have to be constantly aware of that car in the left lane making a left turn and preemptively merge to the right (smoothly) or you're going to get stuck forever. i find it almost fun but it requires a lot more attention than a leisure ride on big 6 lane roads every square mile.

atl rail's ridership has been increasing again, after they restore frequency of service a few years ago. buses not so much, as they get stuck in the same traffic cars do.

Last edited by JMT; 09-12-2016 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City