Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 04:41 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually we're not. He hasn't touched land use policies or parking regulations and that's the linchpin in terms of reducing car dependence. Adding more lines of light rail and eliminating a freeway are nice, but if driving is still convenient, cheap, and easy, that is the mode of transportation that most will use.
You're right that I didn't touch on land use policies and parking regulations in my original post. I didn't mean the reduction of freeways and expansion of rail would be the end all of reducing car dependency. It's one piece of it. You pretty much expanded on what I should've added in my original post.

But you still need the right people in office to get the ball rolling. Dallas finally has an actual urban planner and someone who uses public transit on its DART board. Before that, we had someone with literally no experience at all. We both agree on the right policies -- not expanding highways, expanding light rail, reducing/eliminating parking regulations, land use policies, etc. You just need the right people in office who support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You're right that I didn't touch on land use policies and parking regulations in my original post. I didn't mean the reduction of freeways and expansion of rail would be the end all of reducing car dependency. It's one piece of it. You pretty much expanded on what I should've added in my original post.

But you still need the right people in office to get the ball rolling. Dallas finally has an actual urban planner and someone who uses public transit on its DART board. Before that, we had someone with literally no experience at all. We both agree on the right policies -- not expanding highways, expanding light rail, reducing/eliminating parking regulations, land use policies, etc. You just need the right people in office who support them.
From what I understand, a big issue with DART is last-mile connectivity. That's somewhat unusual for a light rail system and it seems to have been conceived as more of a commuter rail system.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:50 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It should only expand rail, not highways. It's counterproductive to do both. The goal is to reduce car dependency.
DFW is a massive area that covers a lot of land with a consistent density for many many miles. It's just not going to happen in the metro. More likely in Central Dallas at some point.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, a big issue with DART is last-mile connectivity. That's somewhat unusual for a light rail system and it seems to have been conceived as more of a commuter rail system.
All of the rail options in DFW are geared toward commuters. THe expanding street car is the best hope for getting people out of cars.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Daily rail ridership says otherwise, and Atlanta recently voted for an additional 1/2 cent MARTA tax to build out the Crosstown & BeltLine Streetcar network.

Dallas - DART Light Rail, Denton County A-Train & TRE Commuter Rail - 104,300 daily

Atlanta - Atlanta Streetcar & MARTA Heavy Rail - 223,700 daily

http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf
When you board a train, bus or plane, does it matter how many people have ridden it that day or that it gets you where you need to go?

Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
All of the rail options in DFW are geared toward commuters. THe expanding street car is the best hope for getting people out of cars.
That might be tough, given that streetcars are generally geared towards those going short distances--a little too far to walk, but not quite too far to drive.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:58 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Even incremental improvements tend to improve numbers. Add a few bus routes, increase frequency on key bus and rail lines, improve speeds a bit on key bus routes through queue jumps, bulb-outs, and so on...pretty soon numbers are up, even if driving is still easy.

But ending the artificlal carrots that support driving is important too. Let people choose to rent apartments without parking and some will. Let retail go up without parking and true urbanity might pop up. Stop building new roads and people will be more hesitant to drive long distances, and might skip driving period. Even the most car-dominated cities have some residents who don't have cars due to choice or money.

When you do some of these things, these cities will show the same dynamic as other cities already have. It becomes a self-generating upward spiral.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
That might be tough, given that streetcars are generally geared towards those going short distances--a little too far to walk, but not quite too far to drive.
Right. I meant the streetcars in Central Dallas.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
When you board a train, bus or plane, does it matter how many people have ridden it that day or that it gets you where you need to go?
You have had issues with giving Atlanta credit for anything since you've left. No need to turn this into a pissing contest, we do do some things right here.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Do you think that many people would be riding MARTA if it wasn't getting them where they need to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City