Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the 3rd best Downtown?
Philadelphia 65 38.69%
San Francisco 77 45.83%
None 26 15.48%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

I put dt San Francisco with dt Chicago and Center City a notch below. Center City is great in many ways but 2 of the biggest catagories, shopping and dining and imo it's well below them. Especially shopping. It's just average for being a top downtown. King of Prussia Mall is the top shopping destination in the Philadelphia area.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:07 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I put dt San Francisco with dt Chicago and Center City a notch below. Center City is great in many ways but 2 of the biggest catagories, shopping and dining and imo it's well below them. Especially shopping. It's just average for being a top downtown. King of Prussia Mall is the top shopping destination in the Philadelphia area.
For the shopping scene, I think most would concede that Philly is not competitive with SF or Chicago (only for high end international brands, which I know is fetishized in this forum; Philly's indie shopping community is fantastic).

As for dining, I think it's much more competitive than you may realize. I understand that a city like SF/Chicago have more Michelin ranked restaurants (they actually haven't expanded their ranking to Philly, so it's difficult to adequately compare), but dining is easily one of the most exciting and phenomenal aspects about Center City. I think especially for a city like SF that is considerably more expensive, there are fewer start-up chefs that can take financial risks and be present in the higher cost real estate areas.

With Philly's much more manageable COL, it makes for a very vibrant and constantly evolving culinary scene.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-09-2016 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 09:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
For the shopping scene, I think most would concede that Philly is not competitive with SF or Chicago (only for high end international brands, which I know is fetishized in this forum; Philly's indie shopping community is fantastic).

As for dining, I think it's much more competitive than you may realize. I understand that a city like SF/Chicago have more Michelin ranked restaurants (they actually haven't expanded their ranking to Philly, so it's difficult to adequately compare), but dining is easily one of the most exciting and phenomenal aspects about Center City. I think especially for a city like SF that is considerably more expensive, there are fewer start-up chefs that can take financial risks and be present in the higher cost real estate areas.

With Philly's much more manageable COL, it makes for a very vibrant and constantly evolving culinary scene.

agree Philly has really continued to improve on the restaurant scene. SF is a notch above though to me was a better eating city ten years ago. DT today Philly may be equal potentially better if limited to DT actually

retail is the biggest difference to me of which SF has a lot more

Philly probably has more arts and museums, definitely more history DT

I also think its actually more active today day/evening/night then DT SF actually. further afield SF would be better in this regrd

Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Yeah, Center City is pretty strong in terms of dining. A notch below downtown SF, but one of the strongest dining scenes in America (probably in the top half dozen U.S. cities or so).

Old 04-09-2016, 06:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
It appears Center City has a greater urbanic integration in its downtown especially residential in comparison to Downtown SF.

In Philadelphia the old neighborhoods,historic monuments,churches, squares/pocket parks, and museums were there first and then the hotels, condos,office towers, were sprinkled in later during the 20th century.

Downtown SF looks much more regimented. The office district is here ,Union square is there,Chinatown that way,Tenderloin all seem to be fairly well-defined.

Overall SF seems to have greater capacity in many metrics e.g., shopping, office, tourism etc but Philadelphias 18th century human scale layout perhaps makes it seem even more vibrant than bigger downtowns.

Some Old Center City photos of mine.

Last edited by rainrock; 04-09-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
^^^i can see that, Philly is an older colonial era city, where San Francisco developed later....

some of my pics:

Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yeah, Center City is pretty strong in terms of dining. A notch below downtown SF, but one of the strongest dining scenes in America (probably in the top half dozen U.S. cities or so).
Are you all including recent Philly dining destinations, like East Passyunk, when you refer to CC dining overall?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Yes, Philly was born during the colonial era, but no photos rainrock posted were in the designated colonial part of the city. San Francisco was virtually destroyed in 1903 so of course it's "newer".

Old 04-10-2016, 03:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, Philly was born during the colonial era, but no photos rainrock posted were in the designated colonial part of the city. San Francisco was virtually destroyed in 1903 so of course it's "newer".
Here are a few:

(my pix)

Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Regarding food, I don't know if SF is a notch above Philly or not, so if folks who have dined regularly in each city believe so, I won't argue. I do know that after 5 years in Center City, there are still some restaurants we had trouble finding time to get to, let alone trying to return to the ones we really enjoyed. And we've seen that a number of restaurants that serve only so-so food here don't last long, given the quality of the competition.

One thing that perhaps sets Philly part, however, are the number and quality of BYOB restaurants. In Houston, the handful of byo's were not bad but not of the highest quality, and they charged corkage fees of $5-6/person/bottle. In Philly, it is possible to have an amazing dinner with a great chef and save the $50+ wine cost (plus tax & tip), sans corkage. When we first visited, we wondered why couples were walking around at night carrying bottles of wine. Now we're among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City