Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most important?
Baltimore 62 29.25%
Cincinnati 14 6.60%
Cleveland 39 18.40%
Pittsburgh 51 24.06%
Saint Louis 46 21.70%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
This poster cannot handle the fact that Cincinnati has a lackluster performance in this poll. This is the M.O. with this poster. Seeing Cincinnati's 7% figure, coupled with Cleveland being tied for 2nd place with Pittsburgh at 34% is driving him nuts. St Louis at 28% and Baltimore at 47%...Cincinnati at 7%, lol. He can't handle this.

I just jumped to the last page of this thread given its topic and, after seeing the poll numbers, I knew Cincinnati A-Go-Go would be here lol.
As evidenced here, you've only exposed your own M.O. There's no secret to where it all comes from: as the case for Cincinnati surpassing Cleveland grows stronger, your resentment increases exponentially. Time after time, you've opened up on me whenever and wherever I post positive commentary about Cincinnati. Likewise, your reply above demonstrates how craftily you cloak all that burning green-eyed envy of Cincinnati into a presentable framework that masks your own embittered psyche: you make an unwarranted assessment of my personal motives, thus making everything I say appear to be sort of a personal problem of mine...rather than a deep one of your own.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
“mediocre and not worthy of mention”... yet St. Louis has more than DOUBLE.the passenger traffic of Cincinnati. Downplay it all you want, that’s just sad! Because STL’s mediocre passenger counts trounce CVG’s. It’s a lot easier to get nonstop flights in STL more frequently and to more destinations- FACT.
Although I can appreciate where you're coming from, I'm sticking with what I said. Even on a national level, none of our airports really draw all that much attention in comparison with the really big airports. (for example, think of Charlotte's Douglas International) And how can any of us dare boast about our airport on a global level? Therefore, maybe it would be best that I repackage this issue so you'll comprehend it as I do. Simply relabel it as a all about "apples-vs-oranges" contest, wherein St. Louis wins the apple and Cincinnati wins the ORANGE. In the eyes of the nation and the world, which of their two prized fruits becomes the most visible and valuable?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:41 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
As evidenced here, you've only exposed your own M.O. There's no secret to where it all comes from: as the case for Cincinnati surpassing Cleveland grows stronger, your resentment increases exponentially. Time after time, you've opened up on me whenever and wherever I post positive commentary about Cincinnati. Likewise, your reply above demonstrates how craftily you cloak all that burning green-eyed envy of Cincinnati into a presentable framework that masks your own embittered psyche: you make an unwarranted assessment of my personal motives, thus making everything I say appear to be sort of a personal problem of mine...rather than a deep one of your own.
LOL...my whole point is you can't handle Cincinnati losing in this poll or any other poll on C-D.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Although I can appreciate where you're coming from, I'm sticking with what I said. Even on a national level, none of our airports really draw all that much attention in comparison with the really big airports. (for example, think of Charlotte's Douglas International) And how can any of us dare boast about our airport on a global level? Therefore, maybe it would be best that I repackage this issue so you'll comprehend it as I do. Simply relabel it as a all about "apples-vs-oranges" contest, wherein St. Louis wins the apple and Cincinnati wins the ORANGE. In the eyes of the nation and the world, which of their two prized fruits becomes the most visible and valuable?
Baltimore's airport easily the busiest of the bunch.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
LOL...my whole point is you can't handle Cincinnati losing in this poll or any other poll on C-D.
If this thread's ever going to advance, it's got to remain centered on content-oriented commentary, not the kind of irrelevant comments and personal attacks you've been making. For anyone interested, a review of the entire thread will expose your coping mechanism; let's review the thread's first segment by itself...

(a) APRIL 7, 2016 - JUNE 27, 2016. Out of a total of 84 posts, your sole contribution is Post# 76, a comment by which you intended to deflect my content-oriented post by offering an inane reference back to Cincinnati's poll standings. All you've done is demonstrate that you never have any positive things to say about Cleveland and routinely depend on discrediting Cincinnati to disguise that fact.

(no activity until a bump to the second segment... )

(b) JANUARY 15, 2018 - JANUARY 26, 2018. Out of a total of 60 posts, you do offer two content-oriented contributions, Posts#133 and #138, but also three other entries, Posts#134, #136 and#143 - all of which again drudge up Cincinnati's poll standings! (plus a personal attack, Post#134)

It's clear what's going on. Essentially, it's an old game by which I make myself OK by making YOU not OK, and is customarily employed by persons suffering from an inferiority complex. Kamms, it's readily apparent that you have envy in your heart that you can't contain and control issues you can't conquer.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:21 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
These polls and threads are seemingly worthless. Naturally, most of us are going to be rooting for our respective cities, casting aside facts and truths about them as we go. Rarely, is anybody going to build up a city on this forum unless it's the one that they call home or have strong ties with.

It's laughable to me that many believe that Baltimore is the most vital and important city in this particular thread. Why, because it's on the Washington / Philly / NYC / Boston corridor? All of these cities are vitally important for a myriad of reasons.

People love to point out the fact that Cleveland is still losing population, but that doesn't necessarily diminish it's overall importance. Cleveland, aside from having it's WORLD CLASS ARTS amenities is a GIANT in the Healthcare - Medical Arts - Bio-sciences arena. Statistics are showing that the overall exodus from Greater Cleveland is beginning to subside and that the population is stabilizing.

I'm not going to say that Cleveland has a huge leg up on these other cities, but it is far too often short changed on many fronts. The city and metro certainly face some serious challenges, but one thing that impresses me the most about Cleveland and NE Ohio are the vast collaborative efforts to turn the region around.

Honestly speaking, I am the most impressed by Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has achieved the most visual and chronicled comeback or renaissance of all of these cities. ( I can still be a DIE-HARD CLEVELANDER and be completely truthful)

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 01-26-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
Pittsburgh is my fav here nothing to do with race or crime, I just like the fabric of their city better than the rest. Steelers fans p.iss me off from time to time but that is only thing I didn't like about the Burgh.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
These polls and threads are seemingly worthless. Naturally, most of us are going to be rooting for our respective cities, casting aside facts and truths about them as we go. Rarely, is anybody going to build up a city on this forum unless it's the one that they call home or have strong ties with.

It's laughable to me that many believe that Baltimore is the most vital and important city in this particular thread. Why, because it's on the Washington / Philly / NYC / Boston corridor? All of these cities are vitally important for a myriad of reasons.

People love to point out the fact that Cleveland is still losing population, but that doesn't necessarily diminish it's overall importance. Cleveland, aside from having it's WORLD CLASS ARTS amenities is a GIANT in the Healthcare - Medical Arts - Bio-sciences arena. Statistics are showing that the overall exodus from Greater Cleveland is beginning to subside and that the population is stabilizing.

I'm not going to say that Cleveland has a huge leg up on these other cities, but it is far too often short changed on many fronts. The city and metro certainly face some serious challenges, but one thing that impresses me the most about Cleveland and NE Ohio are the vast collaborative efforts to turn the region around.

Honestly speaking, I am the most impressed by Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has achieved the most visual and chronicled comeback or renaissance of all of these cities. ( I can still be a DIE-HARD CLEVELANDER and be completely truthful)
Nobody likes Baltimore, yet it is number ONE, so you don't have an argument there.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:25 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
(b) TOTAL EXPORTS. None of the other four cities match that of Cincinnati in export value. Behind only Chicago and Detroit, in $$$ Cincinnati is by far the third largest exporter in the Midwest:

* Cincinnati - $23.3 BILLION
* Cleveland - $8.8 BILLION
* St. Louis - $8.3 BILLION
* Pittsburgh - $8.0 BILLION
* Baltimore (not listed)
These export totals don't necessarily reflect the value of locally manufactured goods exported.

Exports of goods manufactured throughout the U.S. are assigned to headquarters city of the corporate manufacturer.

E.g., so Cincinnati gets credit for all of the U.S. exports of GE Aviation and Proctor & Gamble, even when goods are manufactured elsewhere in the U.S.

<<The series assigns the export shipments to specific areas of the country based on the address of the United States Principal Party of Interest identified in the export declaration. The Principal Party of Interest is “the person or legal entity in the United States Principal Party of Interest identified in the export declaration.">>

https://www.usitc.gov/publications/332/ec201509b.pdf

Old 01-26-2018, 04:38 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
(c) PORT CITIES. None of the other four cities match the Port of Cincinnati/NKY in tonnage, which became the nation's #1 inland port. Although slightly dated, the first link below provides a reasonable picture of what the various ports are doing in tonnage:

* (#13) Cincinnati/NKY - 49,930,467 T
* (#17) St. Louis - 38,872,599 T
* (#19) Baltimore - 37,157,348 T
* (#23) Pittsburgh - 31,498,610 T
* (#46) Cleveland - 12,999,044 T
Cincinnati/NKY includes 225 miles of ports, the result of a deliberate reclassification. If northern Ohio reclassified all of Lake Erie's Ohio ports as a single port, there would be at least 40 million tons of cargo shipped. Cleveland, unlike Cincinnati is an international port with regularly scheduled service between Europe and certainly Canada.

<<In 2015 CORBA led the effort to re-designate the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky ports, expanding the port boundaries from 26 miles to 226.5 miles including a seven mile stretch of the Licking River in Northern Kentucky. The re-designated port includes all or part of 10 counties in Kentucky (Boone, Kenton, Campbell, Pendleton, Bracken, Mason, Lewis, Gallatin, Carroll and Trimble) and 5 counties in Ohio (Hamilton, Clermont, Brown, Adams and Scioto.)>>

http://www.nkytribune.com/2016/02/ci...-of-engineers/

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Services/Pages/Water.aspx

Cleveland-Europe Express | Port of Cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City