Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most important?
Baltimore 62 29.25%
Cincinnati 14 6.60%
Cleveland 39 18.40%
Pittsburgh 51 24.06%
Saint Louis 46 21.70%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
You're projecting two conclusions that you can't necessarily draw from midwest1's observations concerning CIN-DAY nor from other forum members you mentioned. As he pointed out here and I have elsewhere, without obsessing, this particular I-75 corridor is an expanding reality giving Cincinnati and Dayton a distinct economic lift over numerous other Midwestern cities. Although there are disadvantages to such growth, they're far outweighed by its advantages.

Obviously, even a CIN-DAY CSA designation wouldn't come anywhere close to Baltimore's CSA, except for just one thing: technically speaking, Baltimore, itself, doesn't have a CSA that does not include Washington DC and Arlington, VA.* This tie-in is the strongest advantage Baltimore possesses over other cities here; otherwise several of these cities, especially Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, surpass it in significant categories.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area
Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area 9,665,892 9,051,961 +6.78% Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
How about you answer what I posted, is the entire Boswash corridor just NYC then??? Just becaus there's stuff in between? How far away from a city do you have to get for it to not be a part of the city? "Cin-Day" ( ) isn't even recognized yet, but even if it was, it's not a stand-in for Cincy. Just like the Boswash corridor numbers don't magically count for NYC's numbers, 1/3 of Ohio doesn't equal Cincy (it just makes this look sad). OTR is awesome Cincy, Dayton is Dayton.
There's nothing in your post (^) that compels me to respond, especially since it makes no sense.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
""Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Stlgasm,

Something you may fail to realize is that the area between Cincinnati and Dayton has two small legacy industrial river cities, Hamilton and Middletown, both of which are showing signs of urban revival, breweries, artisan distillers, art galleries, wine/coffee bars, yoga studios, all in a legacy urban environment.

There are other towns along the way, Mason, Franklin, Trenton, Miamisburg that have small historic cores that add to the character of the I-75 corridor.

And heck, even Liberty Center and Austin Landing are incorporating residential/apartments into the mix, it's not all a strip mall.
... and what does this mean to you in the context of this thread? It's not important...""

You may think it's unimportant, but the I-75 corridor is one more feather in Cincinnati's cap. This thread is ostensibly about the respective metro areas and even without the coming merge of Cin-Day, the majority of the corridor is already within Cincy's MSA (Butler/Warren) counties.

It is the fastest growing region of metro Cincinnati and a large reason it is outperforming stagnant metros such as St. Louis.

And it's also why any day now, the Cincinnati-Dayton metroplex will leapfrog over St. Louis and become a top 20 metro with accelerating growth and attractiveness.

Mark my words. And as I highlighted, it isn't just sprawl, Middletown and Hamilton would be about the largest suburbs of St. Louis, and they are legacy urban cities. Metro Cincy has a lot if urban corners outside of OTR.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Maybe motorman doesn’t realize that Boeing’s military division is headquartered in St. Louis...
Maybe STLgasm doesn't realize that Boeing's military division is headquartered in Washington DC.

Chicago Tribune

Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
And Cleveland is not the only city that has a symphony that tours overseas.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ain/100885784/
The Cleveland Orchestra tours Europe annually (unless an Asian tour is scheduled), typically to the most prestigious concert halls in Europe. The Cincinnati Symphony's European tour in 2017 was its first in almost a decade.

<< As part of its first European tour since 2008, the orchestra will perform 11 concerts in eight cities in six countries.>>

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ain/100885784/

Reviews of Cleveland's 2017 European tour:

Cleveland Orchestra garners rave reviews on first leg of 2017 European Tour | cleveland.com

Touring Cleveland Orchestra receives more praise in Europe for Mahler, 'Cunning Little Vixen' performances | cleveland.com

Unlike the Cincinnati Symphony, the Cleveland Orchestra possesses arguably the nation's best summer classical music venue in Blossom Music Center, celebrating its 50th anniversary this summer with the likes of Yo Yo Ma and Broadway star Audra McDonald among celebrated guest performers. Blossom is located in the midst of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

http://www.clevelandorchestra.com/Pl...om-Facilities/

Cleveland Orchestra announces details of 50th anniversary 2018 Blossom Festival season (photos) | cleveland.com

http://www.clevelandorchestra.com/Ne...02-11-Blossom/

In an effort to develop its future audiences, the Cleveland Orchestra offers free lawn admission to children under 18 at Blossom.

Blossom Music Center

Last edited by WRnative; 02-16-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 12:04 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
So did I, but you chose to ignore them because they didn't fit your narrative. Next, your comparison of sunbelt cities-vs-NYC, London and Paris simply doesn't work as an analogy of Cincinnati-vs-St.Louis, wherein population differences are so less extreme. By ignoring facts I presented in order to fit your own narrative, you present the same problem. You've also garbled what I've said to fit this narrative, such as your twisted comment concerning Cincinnati's production of jet engines. It's obvious that you mean to minimize the sheer importance of GE Aviation being headquartered in Cincinnati and that the company's design, production and testing of commercial jet engines is centered in Cincinnati. The only "subjective" observation that I might add is that if GE (headquartered in Boston) ever breaks up as a company - a real possibility, considering its dire circumstances - its Aviation Division will most certainly remain headquartered in Cincinnati - thus giving the city a third F100 company.

At this time, my best suggestion to you and your St. Louis play pal is that you quit tripping over each other in such desperation to move the goal posts yourselves in order to construct two erroneous narratives.
No, I didn't ignore them, I directly called you out on them and why you were using them. As I said, "Seems to me like he used a lot solid facts that put St. Louis on top of Cincy (population, gdp, media market etc.) while you want to use various rates taken from a single moment in time." Cincy can grow faster than St. Louis (you can use that in a thread about which one is healthier if you want, but it doesn't belong here because it doesn't mean more important), St. Louis is bigger, by population, gdp, etc. That's why it's more important, no matter how much you want to pick snapshots in time with rates, or just pick certain industries or companies to stand-in for Cincy, when you add up everything St. Louis overall still comes out way ahead.

St. Louis - 2,807,002
Pittsburgh - 2,342,299
Cincinnati - 2,165,139
Cleveland - 2,056,405
Columbus - 2,041,520

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

(b) GDP

St. Louis $155,077 billion
Pittsburgh - $138.187 billion
Cincinnati - $132.010 billion
Columbus - $130.758 billion
Cleveland - $129.440 billion

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...ewsrelease.htm

How telling is it that you used this to rank Cincy above Cleveland, but intentionally left St. Louis off so you could ignore it and make the conversation about Cincy and Pittsburgh...

My analogy also works perfectly, the population difference illustrates the point to the extreme so it's easier to understand, and you still don't get it! Wow...

"It's obvious that you mean to minimize the sheer importance of GE Aviation being headquartered in Cincinnati..." Is it now? Or maybe some of us know that a company in Cincy being important isn't the same thing as Cincy being important. That's what I'm saying, whether it be jet engines or 1/3 of the state of Ohio, you guys keep trying to create a conversation around something as a stand-in for Cincy (strawmen), St. Louis doesn't have to do that because it wins overall. If you want we could; you don't think St. Louis's role as an agro-science center with companies like Monsanto headquartered there has affected/been important to the world? But again, you know why I didn't? Because who cares, we have the gdp numbers for both! St. Louis has a bigger economy, and you just want to keep ignoring this cold hard fact with strawmen and various objective nonsense.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
There's nothing in your post (^) that compels me to respond, especially since it makes no sense.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Here, try again:

"How about you answer what I posted, is the entire Boswash corridor just NYC then??? Just becaus there's stuff in between? How far away from a city do you have to get for it to not be a part of the city? "Cin-Day" ( ) isn't even recognized yet, but even if it was, it's not a stand-in for Cincy. Just like the Boswash corridor numbers don't magically count for NYC's numbers, 1/3 of Ohio doesn't equal Cincy (it just makes this look sad). OTR is awesome Cincy, Dayton is Dayton."

It addresses everything you say below, but just to add a little:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
""Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Stlgasm,

Something you may fail to realize is that the area between Cincinnati and Dayton has two small legacy industrial river cities, Hamilton and Middletown, both of which are showing signs of urban revival, breweries, artisan distillers, art galleries, wine/coffee bars, yoga studios, all in a legacy urban environment.

There are other towns along the way, Mason, Franklin, Trenton, Miamisburg that have small historic cores that add to the character of the I-75 corridor.

And heck, even Liberty Center and Austin Landing are incorporating residential/apartments into the mix, it's not all a strip mall.
... and what does this mean to you in the context of this thread? It's not important...""

You may think it's unimportant, but the I-75 corridor is one more feather in Cincinnati's cap. This thread is ostensibly about the respective metro areas and even without the coming merge of Cin-Day, the majority of the corridor is already within Cincy's MSA (Butler/Warren) counties. Uh huh, and yet Cincy still can't beat St. Louis's numbers

It is the fastest growing region of metro Cincinnati and a large reason it is outperforming stagnant metros such as St. Louis. And again, too bad it's still way behind St. Louis's numbers... The thread isn't who is growing faster atm, it's which is more important

And it's also why any day now, the Cincinnati-Dayton metroplex will leapfrog over St. Louis and become a top 20 metro with accelerating growth and attractiveness. St. Louis doesn't need a future 1/3 the state of Ohio to beat Cincy, it already does now

Mark my words. And as I highlighted, it isn't just sprawl, Middletown and Hamilton would be about the largest suburbs of St. Louis, and they are legacy urban cities. Metro Cincy has a lot if urban corners outside of OTR.
I'm not making sense? We're talking about overall importance of these cities and you're celebrating a microbrewery and a starbucks opening way out between Cincy and Dayton...

Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well they wouldn't come here just for that, but say they went to Niagara Falls or something, Cleveland is only 3 hours away so they might jump down there for something. I am not saying they'll fly all the way to Cleveland when Paris is closer but if they already are planning a trip to the US they might consider adding it to the itinerary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The average European, like the average American, doesn't really know boo about classical music or art. They like to think they do, but they really don't (there's a reason the arts are so heavily subsidized in Europe, as people left to their own devices simply don't attend!). So no, I don't think they would come to Cleveland to see the orchestra.

However, ones who actually do know the scene, absolutely would. It is a great stop for educated tourists looking to see top quality stuff and not drop thousands. You might be surprised if you ever go to Severance Hall some time.

Although I agree with you that the Rock Hall brings in way more tourists.
Seems like we all agree here.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM

30 posts, read 22,762 times
Interesting comparison list. My vote would be:
1a. STL
1b. Baltimore (only cause i think some DC overflow is causing their pop growth)
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cleveland
4. Cincinnati

Old 02-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Caesar,

My attempts at educatng you have obviously fallen on deaf ears, or technically, blind eyes.

Cin-Day is already bigger than St. Louis and accelerating in terms of growth.

If you need to believe it's just a Starbucks linking the emerging metroplex, go right ahead.

And with all due respect to St. Louis, C Cincinnati represents a much much more beautiful and fascinating destination, it's star is rising fast.

I just hope St. Louis can avoid joining Cleveland in the perpetually stagnant, shrinking column demographically, honestly I do. Maybe look at what Cincy has done to turn things around?!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 PM

And for what it's worth there more than a dozen breweries in the I-75 corridor with more on the way.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/but...hGIo2FhakOAGI/

2017/jHjGvyDYGhGIo2FhakOAGI/

You really should check out the area sometime Caesar, the scale of growth in the middle of CinDay is about as impressive as anywhere in the entire Midwest. And in case you are worried about sprawl, another $10,000,000 brewery was just announced for annold industrial shoe factory in the ever-lovely Lebanon Ohio, a destination that if it were in St. Louis would be regionally quite famous.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/bus...jQVijsLNYYOqI/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City